Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like with most things when it comes to my dogs heath/nutrition i'm sure i'm over thinking this all. I recently put my dog one of those prepared ground raw diets that requires the addition of an Omega 3 supplement to be complete. It's been about 2 weeks, and thus far I've been feeding 3 meals per week of pure salmon grind instead of adding a supplement, but it smells awful, is quite expensive (about $5/lb) and my dog isn't thrilled with it.

Here are my questions:

Is there a benefit or difference to using salmon oil vs oil from another fish like herring/krill/cod liver, etc?

How many mg of EPA/DHA should I be giving per pound of body weight?

My dog seems willing to eat the salmon grind if i mix it with another protein source. If i continued to do this a few times a week, is this sufficient instead of separate supplementation?

I've read a lot about the necessity to give Vitamin E when giving fish oil. How many IU of vitamin E should I be giving per pound, and how often?

I'm having a hard time finding a low dosage of Vitamin E. Is it harmful to give a high dosage say...once a week?

is there any difference between giving fish oil liquid vs capsules?

yesterday I picked up this product http://www.webbernaturals.com/product/wild-alaskan-salmon-fish-oil/6162/ but i have yet to open it as i continue to research. Does this look acceptable?

those capsules have vitamin E listed in the ingredient list but it doesn't say how much. is it likely enough, or should I still supplement additionally?

should I be worried about mercury contained in fish oil?

is flaxseed or flaxseed oil an acceptable source of Omega 3's instead of fish oil? I figure it won't stink and won't contain mercury.

does flaxseed oil also deplete vitamin E in the body?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cannot answer all your questions off the top of my head, but the answers for many are easily found n the internet (such as the dosages). The problem with some fish oils is that they are often loaded with dangerous amounts of vitamin A, and do not have exact same fatty acid profiles as Salmon oil does. Not to mention they are not readily available in concentrated capsules, so giving them may result in a severe case of diarrhea. The advantage to capsules are these go down with little bad flavor (many dogs object to the taste of fish oils)… and some are far more concentrated in these capsules (also less likely to cause diarrhea). Vitamin E seems to be a relatively safe vitamin despite its being stored in the liver they way vitamins A and D are (allowing overdosage to be a fairly common problem). B vites are urinated out and not stored, so harder to overdose those. The mercury question is a hard one to answer… but likely most dogs do not live long enough to accumulate dangerous levels of mercury one might encounter in a good quality fish oil supplement. Still, I cannot say it could not possibly be a problem. Flaxseed oils do not have the same exact spectrum as Salmon oil in terms of fatty acid levels… they have some of the same fatty acids, but not all. These used to be used in dogs, but have been discarded as far less useful. No idea if flaxseed oil depletes the bodies' stores of vitamin E…

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I like Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. For the purpose of Fish Oil and Vit E, treat a 50 Lb dog like a person, and under 50 Lbs like half a person. My dog is 65 Lbs and I give him 4 capsules for a total of about 2000mg of EPA/DHA. Some days I dose him twice. I only give him 1000mg Vit E, b/c he gets some in his food.

I don't think the fish source of the EPA/DHA matters. What matters is all the other contaminants. I don't have a way to measure, but informally and supposedly, low fish odor may indicate low contaminants.

I don't know the amount of EPA/DHA in your prep.... Google may know. You'd prefer fresh Pacific Wild Salmon, rather than Atlantic or farmed Salmon to reduce contaminants.

Don't use flaxseed. It is OK, and it is fine as a supplement, but it provides only short chain Omega-3, rather than long chain Omega-3. If you're interested in the differences, spend time with Google...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an FYI to anyone interested: I contacted Webber Naturals, and their 300mg Wild Salmon Oil Capsules each contain 15 IU of Vitamin E...which is the PERFECT AMOUNT in relation to how many capsules you would give relevant to your dogs size. mystery solved!

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you are concerned about mercury, fish oil is safer. Mercury is mostly found in the muscle meat, not much is in the oil. Another thing you can give that is very healthy are sardines. They are lower in the food chain so mercury is not concentrated in them.

Flaxseed is not very useful for dogs. It contains mostly ALA, which humans and many animals can convert but dogs can't.

Once I thought I would save money by buying salmon oil in bulk instead of capsules. Out of curiosity I compared the cost per unit and the capsules were actually cheaper. Plus they stay fresh.

That's all I know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts