Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this weekend we were given a 100 lb alapaha bulldog by my brother in law. He is 5-6 years old and still intact. He is getting neutered May 1st. He loves to tackle my kids and lick them. Not aggressive but he LOVES any attention you give him even if he has to force it out of you. My kids who are 3 and 6 are not tookeen on this idea. And neither am i. But im willing to work through it. I was very successful in training my blue heeler with clicker training. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to get him to stop tackling? I prefer to use positive reinforcement. Do you think he will calm down once he's neutered?

·
Registered
705 Posts
What about mat training? If he wants attention from the kids then he must be lying down on a mat. Teach him "go to mat" and then have your kids walk up to him. If he gets up, kid leaves. It might take a lot of time and will require a lot of management. Have it so the kids say "go to mat!" and when he goes there and lays down, they come over and pet him and let him lick them. If he gets up, they leave the room, completely ignoring him. Might be hard training your kids for that too though! You should clicker train "go to mat" until he is reliably doing it (and loving it). Then have the kids train him and tell him "go to mat".

You could do that same thing but basically teach him he doesn't get attention unless he is lying down. When the kids are around have him down, if he gets up, kids leave you ignore him, fun ends.

Or teach him a "back up" command. If he gets in your space say "back up" or whatever you want. If he goes up to the kids the kids can now say "back up!" and reward him for giving them more space.

Hopefully other people have other suggestions too. I see how this is a problem and it sounds like he needs to be taught more impulse control than anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As compared to my blue heeler! No...LOL! I think most of his problem is that he is intact. He really just lays around. He only seems to be rambunctious around the kids. I think because of their size he knows they are vulnerable.I have been working with him and he is defiantly better. He gets to go out multiple times a day and we go for a nightly walk around the block every day. Plus he gets almost a fenced acre to play.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Are you sure your brother-in-law likes you? I think in time he will be ok. Sounds like you know how to handle dogs. The mat idea is a good one.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Neutering guarantees no puppies. Nothing else may change. More exercise and mat training will have a bigger impact on the tackling. BTW, the mat training is one facet of nothing in life is free (NILIF) ... look it up in the Stickies and Google.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts