Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My toy poodle, Frannie, is 10 years old. She was crate trained so she would become housebroken as a very young puppy and took to it extremely well. From the time she was a puppy until now, she has had very very few accidents in the house. She always goes to the door when she needs to go potty, and the rare times she did have an accident she acted guilty.
I live with my boyfriend's family (and have for the past 2 years, with Frannie) and when I came home from work my boyfriend's dad told me that she had pooped in her bed. I thought it was odd because she never has accidents and her bed is like her "palace", but I thought maybe she wasn't feeling well. A little later, I was playing with her and she just pooped right in front of me. She didn't seem phased by it at all (maybe she did, I was quick to pick her up and take her outside). I didn't scold her, and she finished her business outside and acted like she didn't go at all inside.
This just seems like such odd behavior to me, since she has always been SO good with going outside. I know some dogs suddenly start "going" as a means of attention, but she gets gobs and gobs of attention here at home. If she hadn't pooped right in front of me, I probably would have blamed it on the other dog. She is otherwise acting completely normal!

Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else before?
Thanks for reading that very long message!

-Meghan (& Frannie!)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you haven't been giving Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplements, start. Usually it's due to starting to get a little arthritic, and when they go to get up, the straining pushes teh poop out (which is easier to do, because in older dogs the sphincter muscle starts to get lax). Or because they are getting a little arthritic, it hurts to "assume the position" for very long, so they don't completely empty themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts