Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on my 10 year old shiba inu. Any time there is a rain storm or fireworks or any loud noise he freaks out. He scrathches major holes in the walls or crawls under the bed and tears the box spring up. I got him a crate and he ate through it. I then got hima heavy duty crate and he pees in it all the time I have to put him in it. It was in the house but now in the garage. Now the garage smells like dog pee.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
933 Posts
How long have you had him? Is this a new development or has he always had these issues. To me it sounds like fear based anxiety. Personally, if this is a recently new development I would first have a complete work up done to make sure there are no age related and or underlying medical issues going on causing this to happen. If all checks out I would look into calling a behaviorist or trainer to evaluate the situation and go from there.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
First get a vet check. Get a check for UTI's, bladder stones/crystals and a complete blood workup. He is older and may have a medical problem like Cushings.

Then...have you crate trained him, so he likes his crate and looks at it as a safe place, or did you just start putting him in there with no training? Big difference. Google "Crate Games".

Melatonin can help with noise anxiety, from storms. Dosage is 1 mg per 20 lbs of weight, up to 3 mg. giant breeds like Great danes can go up to 6 mg. Don't give it without a vet check first. It's safe for healthy, non elderly, non pregnant dogs. Since your dog is older, you need a vet check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had him for 9 years. All of these issues have really gotten worse in the past 3 years. It started with scratching on the walls. Then making holes in walls.
I never did crate training, he never needed a crate before, he does hate the crate. I had him on lexapro and that was ok and another med. that made him bite and snip at people.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
He needs a vet check with blood workup and urine ck. Cushings can cause destructive behavior and peeing. Thyroid problems can cause behavior changes. Uti's can cause peeing. Get a vet check. Then learn how to crate train using crate games.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts