Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a mixed male chihuahua who is approximately 10 years old that we adopted with a brother of his. He will growl at his brother if he comes near him(very rarely does it develop into a physical fight). If he is laying on the couch or in front of the heater and his brother comes near he will growl and begrudgingly move to another area. I can't understand why he has such animosity towards him since they've been together since birth. We have a male mini shitzu he acts aggressively towards also as well as 2 newly adopted kittens(4 months old now) that he acts the same with. Our only dog he isn't aggressive towards is our 5 year old fixed female chihuahua. I don't understand it since the others are aggressive to him. Every time I try to do a search for this type of behaviour, it talks about introducing a new dog to the pack Every time I try to do a search for this type of behaviour, it talks about introducing a new dog to the pack but none of these pets are new to each other. I won't say that they never get physical, but 99% of the time they do not. If someone has any insight on this type of manner we would greatly appreciate their advice or suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Growling isn't necessarily aggression, but part of appropriate dog body language. If the other animals are respecting his space enough when he growls to avoid him needing to escalate that grow into a snap or fight, and he's not going out of his way to start something with them, that's actually a good thing. Some dogs are just more vocal (or grumpy) than others.

That being said, it might be worth getting him a thorough vet exam, especially if this has been getting worse or more frequent. If he has some kind of pain or medical condition, it could absolutely cause him to be touchier about other dogs in his space.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts