Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I bring him in no more then 15 mins he's done peed in the house.. Hell go around leaving little puddles. I don't know why he is doing this, I'm wondering if I should monitor water intake or what should I do any advice helps!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
He's a tiny baby at 10 weeks. Expecting him to be housebroken is like expecting an infant to be toilet trained. At this age, your dog doesn't have the muscle control to hold it and doesn't know what "needing to go" feels like, so basically you're expecting too much from him. You can keep him tethered to you in the house so you can learn the signs that he needs to go and take him outside every time. This sort of "error free" housetraining will make the process go faster, but at this point it's not realistic to expect him never to have accidents, especially if you're giving him the opportunity (to wander away from you and then pee).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a tiny baby at 10 weeks. Expecting him to be housebroken is like expecting an infant to be toilet trained. At this age, your dog doesn't have the muscle control to hold it and doesn't know what "needing to go" feels like, so basically you're expecting too much from him. You can keep him tethered to you in the house so you can learn the signs that he needs to go and take him outside every time. This sort of "error free" housetraining will make the process go faster, but at this point it's not realistic to expect him never to have accidents, especially if you're giving him the opportunity (to wander away from you and then pee).
I know he will have some accidents, but I was just wandering if there was anything I can do to try to stop him from just walkin and tinkling. He's supervised at all times. And he goes out every hour sometimes sooner.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
No, you definitely should not be restricting his water (except perhaps before bedtime), if that's what you mean. It won't keep him from having accidents and puppies can dehydrate very quickly.

Supervise him more closely. You can also try crate training.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you definitely should not be restricting his water (except perhaps before bedtime), if that's what you mean. It won't keep him from having accidents and puppies can dehydrate very quickly.

Supervise him more closely. You can also try crate training.

Okay, I'm working on crate training now he does not like it :) he's whimpers and hollers loud! But its got to be done. I will just have to keep a very close eye on him and I'm going to walk him for longer when we do go out so he can try to empty his bladder all the way hopefully. Do you have any tips for the crate training?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
He just needs to go outside more than once an hour. Every puppy is different in how long they can/will hold their urine, and at that age he is learning all of the physical things about eliminating - what it feels like to have a full bladder, how to hold it - in addition to learning where you want him to go and not go. If he pees every 15 minutes, then take him out every 10-15 minutes so you can practice successful potty trips with him and avoid him practicing going in the house. As he gets older, you can gradually increase the length of time between trips outside.

I know it sucks, I have a dog who I had to take out every 10 minutes as a puppy and it becomes sort of all consuming, but it is what it is. It won't last forever.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Some advice: always take the pup out on a leash. Take him out after eating, drinking, playing, napping. If you see him circling, take him directly out. Don't stop to put on a jacket or footwear; be ready to go. Use a term as you exit the door. We use "go potty". Praise the heck out of him when he goes. You need to keep your eyes on him at all times. If you can't,tether him to you or crate him. Remember that accidents are just that, accidents but your fault. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is frustrating :) the puppy had been doing very well the past 3 days only had 2 or 3 accidents.. But today he's had like 5 just today.. I take him out very often as soon as he potties in the house I take him out. I know its me giving him the opportunities. But it also leaves me to wonder if something could be wrong. Ill watch him pee it has not smell and is clear.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You say "as soon as he potties in the house I take him out" - what does that mean? That he actually potties in the house and THEN you take him out? The goal is to watch him so closely that the instant he starts to squat you interrupt him and take him out so he can finish outside. If you aren't close enough to him to get him out in time, then you simply aren't close enough to him. Tether him to you with his leash so you are right there with him.

And, here's the thing, if you let him have accidents, he WILL. That's because he doesn't care WHERE he pees at this point. He may not even realize he HAS to pee until his bladder is too full to hold it, and if you aren't right there to get him out, boom, he has an accident. That's what the others mean when they say he doesn't always get the signals from his body, or even realize he has to pee. So, it's your job to PREVENT accidents at all cost.

I kind of look at it as if you were watching a small baby learn to crawl, you have to follow around right behind them to make sure they're ok. Follow your puppy, be right there with him, when he's awake, anyway, and monitor what he's doing. It sucks in the beginning, but it will make for faster potty training.

And, setbacks are common, as your puppy ages and starts developing some muscle control. He'll start to get those signals, and he really has to experiment to see HOW long can he hold it before he has an accident....sometimes he overestimates how long is too long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say "as soon as he potties in the house I take him out" - what does that mean? That he actually potties in the house and THEN you take him out? The goal is to watch him so closely that the instant he starts to squat you interrupt him and take him out so he can finish outside. If you aren't close enough to him to get him out in time, then you simply aren't close enough to him. Tether him to you with his leash so you are right there with him.

And, here's the thing, if you let him have accidents, he WILL. That's because he doesn't care WHERE he pees at this point. He may not even realize he HAS to pee until his bladder is too full to hold it, and if you aren't right there to get him out, boom, he has an accident. That's what the others mean when they say he doesn't always get the signals from his body, or even realize he has to pee. So, it's your job to PREVENT accidents at all cost.

I kind of look at it as if you were watching a small baby learn to crawl, you have to follow around right behind them to make sure they're ok. Follow your puppy, be right there with him, when he's awake, anyway, and monitor what he's doing. It sucks in the beginning, but it will make for faster potty training.

And, setbacks are common, as your puppy ages and starts developing some muscle control. He'll start to get those signals, and he really has to experiment to see HOW long can he hold it before he has an accident....sometimes he overestimates how long is too long.
Okay. I meant these times he had accidents if I am not close enough to catch him before he's done I take him out asap. But I do admit today I haven't been watching him as close because he's been doing well, but I can't do that like you said I will tether him to me with a leash and keep him by me at all times.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You said you haven't been watching as close because he is doing so well....this is exactly when you have to keep watching carefully! So he keeps doing well! Give some treats after he goes outside, make sure he knows he did something awesome, but don't acknowledge it if he goes inside, just clean up.
One thing that I don't think anybody mentioned (if I missed it I apologize), thoroughly clean up where he has gone in the house with an enzymatic cleaner so he doesn't smell those spots later and think "hey...there's the pee spot!". Remember even if you can't smell it, a dog can!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another solution is don't let the puppy go on the carpet. Currently our new Corgi is primarily only allowed in the kitchen in her pen until potty training can be established. That way if she has an accident there is no leftover smell and cleans up easier. I use the potty patch and wee wee pads and transitioned our Dachshund off of them and he only goes outside now. They both actually use the potty patch. The corgi does misfire sometimes. The Dachshund struggles to always go when I take him out because he can control his bladder (FINALLY!) and due to always being interested in everything that is going on outside. Until the Dachshund is around 1 year old he will continue to go out every 30-60min or when I feel like he needs to go again. Potty training WILL take a long time but it will be worth it years from now especially if you teach them to ring a bell or inform you in a more obvious way. Also, even if you think your puppy is potty trained, do not change the routine for a while. Continuing a similar routine into adulthood will only benefit you more. Good luck with the training :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts