Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, My name is Debbie. I have am the very proud owner of a new little puppy named Willow. She is just the cutest little thing. We had to travel 8 hours to pick her up. The trip back home was terrible. She got so car sick. I finally got her to settle down in a small kennel after approximately 4 hours. The problem now is that whenever I get near the car, she gets so upset. Yelps, barks, bounces all over and finally throws up. I have tried so many things. Tried just sitting in the car and waiting for her to calm down. Tried just driving around the block and back home. She did not get sick that time but any further and up it comes. I put her in a seat which raised her so she could look out, even opened the window which is not the easiest because it is winter here. I would love her to enjoy the vehicle because we do quite a bit of travelling and she will be coming with us at all times. I do not want her to connect the vehicle with only to going to the vet. They memory’s like elephants. Does anyone have any idea’s I could try.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy. I would suggest you get her to associate the car with something positive. Maybe just sit in the car with her with the engine off and feed her some treats. If that goes well then try turning the engine on and doing the same. From there maybe take a very short ride with your hubby driving while you sit in the back with her and feed her some treats. Hopefully if she associates the car with something good you can gradually increase the amount of time she is in the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a 25 year old human and I am hopeless with car sickness. I'm getting worse each year and I feel abysmal long before I vom. If that's the case with your pup, she's feeling sick before you know about it and that could play a role in her continuing dislike of cars. You may think that because she didn't actually vom last time, she no longer experiences car sickness and is just reacting to the *memory* of being car sick; however if she's anything like me, she can feel like shit without throwing up.

I've had blazing rows with friends and SOs because I want to leave 40mins earlier and walk/take public transport just because taxis and ubers make me feel so sick. The nausea does not go away as soon as I get out of the car - it typically hangs around for 20mins, but sometimes as much as an hour. Recently, I undertook a long car rip. I got my mum to drop me an hour's walk from the house. I fell out on to the verge and just crouched there for ages. I was glad to walk for an hour, over being driven for around 10-15mins.

I don't "miraculously" get sick when I'm being driven somewhere I don't want to go - car sickness stops me from doing things I want to do, or at least lessens my enjoyment of them. I've cut back on driving, because I even get dizzy and sick while driving and obviously that's not safe or fair to other road users.

I don't have answers, sorry. But FYI - motion sickness is not always curable and if she's anything like me, you can't help or encourage her to not hate the car. Because she can't talk, you don't know whether she feels really grim even when she's in the car and not vomiting. Maybe she even feels sick after getting out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts