Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted a 8 week old lab/husky puppy (now 10 weeks). Things got a little complicated right after since we found out the old owners lied to us about their 1st shots, and on top of that the poor thing had worms and vaginitis. She's doing a lot better after being in our care and she's a lot better.

Our first problem is that we've been pad training her inside the house for 2 weeks now since she did not have her first vaccinations and did not want her to go outside (and we don't have a back yard). So she got her first shots at 10 weeks, and we've been taking her out for the past week or so and she doesn't like to do her business outside. She runs around a lot and sniffs everything. A lot of the time she just lays down or sits down on grass, but she continues walking when I walk past her. We want her to stop going inside. I don't know what to do to get her to potty outside, help!

Our second problem is that since we want to train her to go do her business outside, we want to leave her in the crate at night. it's a medium size metal wire crate, enough space for her to sleep and walk. We looked online and found out that it helps to put a scented shirt and maybe a plastic hot water bottle wrapped in a towel to mimic the warmth of her litter mates, so we did both. It's been a few nights and each night she cries and whines and bites the crate all night, so we decided to just let her sleep outside of the crate. Miraculously she sleeps fine by herself, as long as she's outside her crate! I thought maybe since she was separated from her litter mates at 8 weeks she would have anxiety from being alone at night, but she sleeps fine at night as long as she's outside of the cage.

Can I please get some advice and tips on how to help little Yuki out? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I think your #1 requirement is patience. I've had a dozen or more Lab pups and all seemed to have inborn tendency to do their business outdoors.

You say you don't have a back yard. Not clear what 'outside' means in your circumstances. Can you take a used pad outside to give her the idea that that's a piddle place as well?

As for crates, I'm in the minority here, but if you can do a good job puppy-proofing, who needs 'em. I find puppies like to be close to you. If you do need to use a crate, try putting it right next to you bed.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Like Sandgrubber said, take one of the used pads outside, and perhaps the puppy will go on that. Seeing as young puppies need to pee every 30 minutes or less, stay outside with her until she goes, then treat and praise dramatically. Remember to take her out for frequent potty breaks (like every 20-25 minutes to ensure no accidents).

If your puppy does not have accidents or get into stuff at night while you are sleeping, it's probably fine to leave her out. If you need to crate her for work or something, look up "crate games" to make it a positive place for her. It also takes some tough love. Sometimes you have to let them cry it out so they learn no amount of noise will get them out. Crate training is also useful for overnight vet visits, traveling, or if the dog has an injury and they need to be confined, which I feel is important.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts