Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone :)
first of I want to start off with this; Please don't post rude comments. What I am about to tell you is not my fault.. I'm just here to ask for advice.

About two or three weeks ago I was at school, and my grandmother was babysitting my 10 month old female maltese puppy. I had warned her time and time again that my pup would try to get out because she is in heat. (That would be her first heat) Despite my DESPERATE attempts to get it through my grandmother's head that she COULD NOT get out, my dog ended up getting out three times that day (Once for about 2 hours).

I just found out about an hour ago.

I noticed that my pup's vulva was still red and swollen even though she's not in heat anymore... and her teats are getting a little larger and her tummy is slightly swollen.

Now I'm not one for "false hope", but if my pup is pregnant... what on EARTH can I do about it? :redface:

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Have her spayed right away (within the next week). 2-3 weeks in is a good time to do it, if you wait too long it'll be riskier.

If you choose not to end the pregnancy, make sure to get full prenatal care (including x-rays to determine the number and size of the pupppies), and keep your emergency vet's number handy. It will be very expensive, so be prepared for that. She may need a c-section. And you should also be prepared to bottle-feed the puppies, because a younger dog is more likely to not take proper care of her pups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts