Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old lab that recently had to go into the vet for a procedure. While she was knocked out the vet also did a physical. I had asked for it to be done because I suspect something to be wrong with her right leg (mainly because she bunny hops while running, sometimes doesn't want to bare weight on leg, doesn't do much physical activity, etc.)

The vet said her hips felt a little loose. They also want to wait another 2 months before doing x-rays so they have a clear read.

I guess I'm just wondering does loose hips mean hip dysplasia? Can hips tighten up? Anyone else been trough this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I don't know why your vet is waiting. I mean, yes your dog is still developing. But if there is an issue NOW, I would want an X-ray NOW. Especially if your dog was already under anesthesia, and this has been a chronic problem, I find it odd that they didn't take an Xray at the time.

It could be hip dysplasia, it could be degenerative myelopathy (common in labs, and genetic), it could be any number of things. But a dog bunny hopping and favoring a leg, and a 10 mo lab that is not very active like you said in your other thread, is NOT normal. I would get this thoroughly checked out ASAP.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket. But I have had a personal client go through having a dog with similar symptoms (though I am not a vet and not a clue what your dog has). I knew her yellow lab since he was 10 weeks old and he was euthanized right before 1 year of age because he always had 'movement issues' as a pup though was goofy and vibrant otherwise. He had DM, which is a shame because it is totally preventable through good breeding and screening for that disease.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don’t worry about being a wetblanket! Lol

I really question of why they didn’t do it also, especially since they said her hips felt loose and with all the signs she’s been having. As you know from my other post, this isn’t my personal vet, it’s the organization’s vet. I know if I were to take her to my personal vet they would want X-rays done ASAP.

I’m finding myself worried and very annoyed by how this is being dealt with. I feel like they did a bait and switch, the organization said as long as I was willing to drive to their vet, they would provide free vet care. But now I’m faced with the decision of waiting 6-8 weeks for them or going to my own vet and spending upwards of $400. (I would do this in a heart beat if she was my personal dog... but she’s not)

My other worry is how many times she’s going to be sedated/under anesthesia. It could be upwards of 4 times in under 3 months which just seems like a lot.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
I kind of suspect the organization needs the x-rays to be taken at or after 12 months/some specific age to consider them valid. So even if you do them now and find something, in order to wash the dog (or not) they'll have to be re-done at that point for them to be able to use them.

Not that the dog may not need them now, and not that 2 months is going to make that much of a difference in results, but organizations come with red tape and often fairly rigid rules that are made to accommodate the majority and make sense on a broad scope but fall apart when applied to an individual.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I would not worry about doing x-rays now. Think about what the x-rays might tell you and how you might adjust life with the dog in that regard. It isn't a medical emergency. If you think the dog is in pain from hip problems, then reduce high impact exercise and increase if possible low impact exercise or just keep the dog limber and mobile. If you are concerned about acute pain, ask about a mild pain killer like a low dose NSAID that can be given daily. Supplements like glucosamine may or may not help but are also unlikely to hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts