Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I have had a 10 month old Jack Russell since she was 8 weeks old and she has overall been a really great pup!

Just recently she has been housebroken at our apartment, but almost always has to go out after she drinks out of her water dish. She probably goes out once an hour. I'am doing her a dis-service by doing so, so she is accustomed to it? Or should I try to get her on some schedule to fix the problem? She knows she is not supposed to be in the house, but she doesn't totally understand.

This weekend she spent the night with my girlfriend sister at her house and it was like she wasn't house trained at all. She peed and pooed as she wished. Not quite sure why.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Dustin

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Dogs don't generalize well. That means that while she seems to be housetrained at your apartment, she doesn't understand that other people's houses are also no-potty zones. She doesn't yet understand that "inside"=no potty generally. You have to teach her that. Some dogs understand more quickly than others. But the way to teach this is to housetrain again at each new location, i.e. take her outside frequently, praise when she goes outside, and don't give her the opportunity to have accidents inside.

No, you're not doing your dog a disservice by taking her outside when she needs to go after drinking. But I would recommend getting on a schedule anyway. What does "She knows she is not supposed to be in the house, but she doesn't totally understand" mean? Do you mean she is still not totally housetrained? Or is she an outside dog?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, she knows she is not supposed to pee in the house.
She is not totally house trained at home, but getting better. If she goes to the door and one of us don't see her, she might pee, by the door because she gets anxious. As, far as holding it, I'am not sure whats she is capable of. She pees rather frequently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts