Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that's a new record.

So we had a nice walk at the boardwalk today. Practiced some CGC stuff, saw a couple of old doggie friends. I saw a woman who looked like she actually KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING with a really cute bullydog (a dog listening to commands! what a shocker!), so that was a breath of fresh air.

Encounter #1. So I'm driving home and I see a little chi wandering all by himself... so I follow him (along with this other woman, who almost hit him). We got him cornered on pretty much the most narrow street in my neighborhood, backing up traffic.

I was able to read his tag, call the number, and get in touch with the owner. Apparently the other woman who was with me lived on that block and knew who the owner was, so I told that to the person on the phone... who really didn't sound ALL that concerned about her dog wandering on a busy street! Poor little guy.. Maxx was his name.. he was shaking and looked so confused. I hope he's back home.

Encounter #2. So now I'm done with the chi, pull up, see my neighbor out with her extremely selective dog who happens to like Marge alot.. they had a play date last week.. the two dogs go up to each other and her dog proceeds to get a little toooo excited.. I don't think he was out to really hurt her but he got kind of noisy.. so she pulls him back and starts hitting him.

He pretty much calmed down right away. I really think it was just a fluke. I tell her, walk by with him, it will be fine. We'll keep Marge over to the side. She responds, no, I'm afraid. Walks away. So now it looks like Marge has lost a play buddy. Or even just a buddy to greet. And now we'll have to play the dog version of musical chairs when we're outside rather than resolve the almost nonexistent problem :rolleyes:

They can't handle the damn dog... he is extremely high energy, creeping up in weight and not walked more than 100 feet from the front door in years.. three kids in the house and no one bothers to teach him more than sit and down.. he is tolerant of like three other dogs, unpredictable with strange dogs and people, and they think nothing of it and just keep him as is. They are paranoid of his every move and he picks up on it.. UGHHHHH.

Sorry you all.. just ranting.. I feel like there are few people around here who actually CARE about their dogs, want to keep them safe, resolve any of their problems, and socialize them..

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
:) I know how you feel. Sometimes, I just like to NOT think about what is going on with some of the dogs in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great post! The same thing happens where I live all the time.

I'm new here by the way, and this was the first post I read. : ) Great start for me!

·
Banned
749 Posts
Two days ago Lola was looking out the window and wanted to go outside. When we get out there I see a small white poodle across the street, no leash no owner around and a collar but no tags. I was trying to lure the dog into the field away from the street with Lola because the dog did not want to come to me but would go to Lola.

After a few minutes of this I see a woman walking towards us with a retractable leash in her hand. I asked if it was her dog and sure enough it was. We are now both trying to get the dog. It seems the dog did not want to go to the owner. After the cars backing up in the street on both sides she was finally able to get the dog. I had told her that some training might be in order for the dog especially on recall. She thanked me for helping her and then started walking back towards her house. It's very unusual in this area for a dog to be out walking around with no owner.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We don't have too many loose dogs around here either except for a couple of resident strays which is why I thought it was really weird to see that Chi running around. I just called the number again now and she said she got him back from the woman and everything is okay. So at least it's a happy ending for the little guy and WHAT A CASE for dogs having ID tags!

As for my neighbor, I'm really disgusted about it. The whole thing was NOT a big deal but she was all freaked out. Marge has SO few offleash play buddies and it seems that number is going to dwindle even more now.

I swear.. if someone on this forum lived near me, I'd be hounding them for an offleash play date.. I really wish people with dogs actually would encourage socialization.. I don't know if they don't want to be bothered with me and Marge or just don't care in general...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Our neighborhood in Ypsilanti was littered with loose dogs. There were two DA pits across the street who were out constantly. Twice we saw their trashy owner come out, scream "That bitch got out AGAIN." and beat the dog in the middle of the street. We reported them to animal control, and they in turn upped the stupid by reporting us to animal control, claiming we were keeping a wolf (our Elkhound)

Numerous times we went out to help owners chasing their dogs trying to catch them. One girl with a Yorkie we saw at least once a day, yelling and chasing the dog. Whatever reason it was escaping, crate your dog when you open the door, train them not to charge the door, or get a new leash/collar.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I swear.. if someone on this forum lived near me, I'd be hounding them for an offleash play date.
Bring that gorgeous Marge right over here -- Poca is waiting! Sigh...I know exactly how you feel. When we lived in CA, it was easy finding playmates for Poca. Our neighborhood was full of them and we often met at the little picnic area just down the street or in the large park about 1/2 mile away to let the dogs run and play with each other. I miss that so much. There are a couple of dog clubs here but they don't really want to be bothered with mutts and/or dogs who don't do serious dog sports. At least she has daycare where she's made some good friends and the owners know how to supervise dogs at play.

Like I said, send the Marge over here any time. Poca will give her a run for her money!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah, winnie.. a playdate with a fellow shy dog owner.. now that's just asking for too much. :D

I'll be honest - I kind of feel the same way about my dog club. In the beginner classes there were a lot of mixes, but now that we're moving into agility Marge is the only mutt in the class.

I see people out all the time with dogs that Marge would enjoy playing with, but I don't know any of them really well enough to say "come in my yard, let them play." And then there are always people who say how fun it would be, but things never come in to fruition. Such is the case with my dog's brothers.. we've been planning a meet up forever now and it just isn't getting done. I contacted them, they never contacted me back.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have decided that I'm going to write an editorial in to my local newspaper about the tihngs people SHOULD be doing for their dogs, but aren't. Might not do any good and might not even get published, but it's worth a shot. I am really angry over some of this stuff. Sometimes you just want to go up to people, shake them by their shoulders and say "what are you DOING!??!"

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of dog clothing or snarky t-shirts but in cases like this, maybe we should get dogs with dumb owners shirts like this....

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
i get online and standing there she comes on line with her pup Benny once again wants to play sticks his bum in the air waging his tail friendly barking the...the husky was doing they same wanting to play desperatly, the owner gives me this snooty look and pulls her dog behind the pole next to her so they cant see each other, at thispoint all her dog wants to do is greet Benny but she violently pulls her dog away... I kept thinking wow that dog is going to have problems with other dogs in the future, its ashame....
To be fair, the inside of a crowded store really isn't the best place for puppies to play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts