Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

10 days to new puppy

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DogsforMe 
#1 ·
Getting ready to pick up the new puppy at 10 weeks of age. In the meantime, I've been buying the necessary items.

In my earlier thread I mentioned that she will be outside during the day while we are at work. We have 2 acres but, per the recommendation of a poster here, she will be kenneled in about 300 square feet until she is larger. We live in a really safe area with dogs everywhere so theft is not a huge threat.

She will arrive with her full first round of shots. To facilitate her outdoor life during the day, I bought a dog house and an external heater/air conditioner, so she will have a climate controlled retreat during the day.

In the evenings and weekends she will be with us and in crate training until housebroken.

Anything else I should consider?

#4 ·
Just make sure they're safe things. A Kong or tricky treat ball, a bully stick. No ropes or stuffed toys. What is the kennel floor, concrete or grass? Don't forget her water bowl. :)

What kind of dog is it?

#5 ·
When giving a dog toys have several but only give her a couple each day. At the end of the day, or the beginning of the next day, take those toys away and give her two different ones. This way she won't get bored and every day it will be new toys to her (recycle them).

Toys need to be safe.. nothing that can come off and get stuck in her or get chewed apart and swallowed (like soft toys).

Get a Kong (or two) and stuff it with PEanut Butter or Liverwurst and freeze it over night. Give it to her when you leave to go to work in the morning. Remember not to over feed and consider the calories in the Kong when feeding her.

#6 ·
Congratulations on your puppy, I bet you're really excited :)

I just wanted to add that a squeaky toy would be considered dangerous, as the squeaky could be popped out and swallowed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.