Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In a couple of days I am going to leave my dog, for the first time, in a kennel.
I visited the place - it is at my vet's clinic, so I am not worried about the place. It was as clean as it can be. And there are only 6 runs anyway.

I am concerned about his reaction, however.
Can he develop anxiety because of this? In 8 months since we brought him home, he has never been away from me. And I am at home most of the days.

Right now, he has no fears: he runs outside in the rain and he had no issues with the 4th of July fireworks.

Should I be concerned about anything?
Should I medicate him in any way?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
It will probably be stressful as it will be confining and different. For most dogs though, particularly ones that are not overly anxious or stressed by things like being close to other dogs, it is something fairly easily shaken off after leaving

If a dog has not been alone in his own house during the day, a kennel is probably more stressful than one used to having his human gone for a few hours .

I would not jump to medication but since you are boarding at your vet's, talk ahead of time if you want to allow them to give meds if the dog shows a lot of stress.

For what its worth, I have (not by choice) boarded dogs who were stressed all to heck in a handbasket during the boarding but recovered quickly once back in a house and routine

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Every dog I have ever had I boarded for 3-4 days some time between 6 months old an a year. It was an experience I wanted the dog to have in case something ever happened and I needed to board. I have a couple of excellent local kennels with experienced people where I can safely board.

Your dog (if you got him as a puppy) is at the right age for this experience. Be certain the kennel has toppers on their runs (at the vet). Open top runs allow for dogs to climb and escape.

Your dog will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts