Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I dont know how to quote, I dont use this forum very often. But I am the other side of things, I am one of the people who paid money from a breeder.
But what I got from my dogs was all the health results of her parents AND grandparents. Hip and elbow scores eye tests and all other diseases associated with the breed.
All up my breeder who owned both parents and 3 of the grandparents would have spent well over $10,00 dollars on tests and making sure the dogs she bred would be healthy and she did the most she possibly have could to make sure I would get a happy healthy dog from that litter and I could be confident wouldn't have issues that could have been avoided. I don't mind paying for that. She only ever breeds if the thinks the litter is going to be a functional working dog and it is going to contribute to the breed overall.
Disorders can come from further up the line, can you be sure your dogs grandparents didnt have any serious health issues? What about the stud and his lines? You never know what you could end up with.

That being said, I am also a vet nurse. And let me tell you, it is not fun doing volunteer work at a shelter and all the work ALL day is putting down puppies and kittens. They don't get a nice goodbye, there is no time for that. Its just see you later puppy and the body goes in a plastic bag with the rest of the dead animals. If your prepared to sit through that for a day, then by all means do it. But its where pups from your litter could end up.
There is no sorta wanna litter from her or kinda think she could have nice puppies. The world doesn't need it. The dog doesn't need it, and you don't need it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That being said, I am also a vet nurse. And let me tell you, it is not fun doing volunteer work at a shelter and all the work ALL day is putting down puppies and kittens. They don't get a nice goodbye, there is no time for that. Its just see you later puppy and the body goes in a plastic bag with the rest of the dead animals. If your prepared to sit through that for a day, then by all means do it. But its where pups from your litter could end up.
There is no sorta wanna litter from her or kinda think she could have nice puppies. The world doesn't need it. The dog doesn't need it, and you don't need it.
Thank you so much for saying that. I think there are too many people out there who can't think past the "adorable puppy" part of breeding (and I am generally referring to the irresponsible BYB's and others who don't put much thought into breeding their dog). To the OP, why breed just because she's "your dog" and you can "do what you want" with her? She's not an inanimate object. She's a living, breathing, sentient animal. Why add to an overpopulation of unwanted animals just because you can? Why potentially doom your dog's pups to being euthanized...just because? Why don't you go volunteer in a kill shelter for a month and then see how you feel about irresponsibly breeding your dog.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Speaking as one who has purebred dogs: not all of us spend unseemly amounts of money on our dogs. One of mine, the best quality one, came to me for free. He was part of a co-bred litter, and the co-breeder that had him could not keep him. The primary breeder did not make provisions for him, and could not keep him, and was planning to get him to a pet home. The co-breeder offered him to my DH and me, knowing we'd show him. So, he is here now.

My other two, from a different breeder, cost about $300 combined. One is now 9, and an AKC champion, the other is his nephew. The nephew was show-potential quality, but did not mature into it.

My point is, though some purebred owners may come across as "holier-than-thou," and you think we spend tons of money acquiring our dogs, it's not always true. Those responsible breeders are often far more interested in getting their puppies into happy forever homes, than they are in making money.

Oh, and don't forget that many of us who are involved in purebred dogs are also involved in rescue. So many of us deal with the aftermath of irresponsible breeders...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Please spay her. The world already has enough puppies & dogs that need homes. Don't contribute to that. The ONLY dogs that should be bred have had multiple, costly health tests and the ONLY reason to breed is to improve a particular breed. What you have is an expensive mutt. There is absolutely NO need to replicate that. The only responsible thing you can do is spay your dog. It's best for her, too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Speaking as one who has purebred dogs: not all of us spend unseemly amounts of money on our dogs. One of mine, the best quality one, came to me for free. He was part of a co-bred litter, and the co-breeder that had him could not keep him. The primary breeder did not make provisions for him, and could not keep him, and was planning to get him to a pet home. The co-breeder offered him to my DH and me, knowing we'd show him. So, he is here now.

My other two, from a different breeder, cost about $300 combined. One is now 9, and an AKC champion, the other is his nephew. The nephew was show-potential quality, but did not mature into it.

My point is, though some purebred owners may come across as "holier-than-thou," and you think we spend tons of money acquiring our dogs, it's not always true. Those responsible breeders are often far more interested in getting their puppies into happy forever homes, than they are in making money.

Oh, and don't forget that many of us who are involved in purebred dogs are also involved in rescue. So many of us deal with the aftermath of irresponsible breeders...
I just wanted to say, OMG look-it your Borzoi's!!!! I LOVE the look of them! I'm such a terrier person, but the Borzoi is on my list as well :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the risk of sounding snarky; I'll do what I want with my dog. You people are way too freakin pushy.

Its really funny you all telling me NOT to breed her but yet so many of you spend hundreds, if not thousands to purchase a pure bred dog from breeders. They weren't always reputable breeders, they started from somewhere as well.
By the way, pregnancy, labor, AND delivery are very natural things and most animals can handle it.. If she can't, I would cross that bridge, and be informed if it were to happen.
I said I had to do more research before I made a decision. I am not the type of person to go into it blind. Just because she is a mixed breed doesn't mean that she can't give good puppies.. There are always people looking for small dogs. Someone paid $300 for her from a breeder. I got her from someone who got her as a gift from the people who paid $300 for her, who's other dog wasn't getting along with her when she was only 10 weeks old. They had moved and returning her to the breeder wasn't an option at the time. I think when and what I decide to do is up to me, and I will make an educated decision when the time comes. If I cannot find a dog to breed her with, then fine, I'll deal with that when it happens, IF it happens, because I didn't say I was going to do it for sure.

I was asking in general about her not being in heat yet, not an entire scolding for potentially wanting to breed her.
Hi I know this is old but go you!! Don’t listen to the people who constantly put breeders down. It’s rediculous. And the “testing”. Pshh for what. Something dogs have been doing for thousands of years. You don’t go through extensive genetic testing to have a human baby lol. I hope you did decide to breed her and im sure everything was fine. I’ve been breeding dogs since I was young with my parents when they breed golden retrievers. Now I breed mini dachshunds and bloodhounds. My dogs are never crated unless potty training or going to bed. They run free on 4 acres of underground fenced property all day together. And they’re very very happy. Yes things can happen and there are risks with everything. But isn’t that life? Don’t let others judge you. In my opinion do what you do to make you happy and at peace and let the others worry themselves into a deep sleep. 😊

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You've resurrected a nine year old thread, where most of the people who commented aren't even active on the forum any more, quoting someone who was banned....

As an FYI, there are lots of people who go through genetic testing and counselling before having children when there are known serious health concerns in their families.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
I am closing this thread to further replies, given its age. Feel free to start your own thread if you're interested in discussing these topics, so long as everything is kept polite and respectful in accordance with forum rules.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.