Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We got a Bernese mountain dog a year ago thinking that training would be easy... (As they are usually a mellow dog) but have been having some major behavioral issues since about 7 months. He works great with me and my family (mainly me xD) but as soon as someone he hasn't seen for about a week or a stranger shows up he seems to forget all training and act terribly. He won't respond to any recall and even dog people start to hate him. My parents keep telling me, "he's a puppy" but I'm tired of his lake of good behavior and want to stop making excuses for him. Also, we live in a yard that is gates and have been able to teach him not to leave but as soon as he sees someone or smells something that's on the outside he runs out and won't come back. I need help with what to do now, if I should take him to classes or get something like a shock collar (I'd rather not) to teach him that what he is doing is wrong. Thank you!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi! Probably you're going to get the most helpful advice if you describe in a little more detail what is concerning you about your dog's greeting behaviour. What do you mean when you say he acts terribly?

I have a 14 month old Bernese/Aussie mix who is such an obnoxious greeter. I'd always thought it was the Aussie in him, but maybe it's actually the Berner?! My puppy doesn't jump up really anymore, but he will still bodyslam/hip check/dance around/roll around and trip our guests... and generally act like a lunatic for a good few minutes after people arrive. We've done some things to try to work on this with some success, but other forum members will probably have some more helpful advice than I will at this point. I'm actually going to see a trainer about this issue and a few other things tomorrow, so if you want I can share what we learn? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and yes I'd love some tips if you got any! Basically he is just a bugger. He jumps, licks, hugs(with his front paws) and just won't leave people alone. Don't get me wrong, we love love for guests he just is way to big for a lot of people to handle. I think if he was a smaller dog it wouldn't be much of an issue.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You should look for a trainer/training class for your dog. Berners are known to be soft dogs, so make sure any trainer/class you go with doesn't use harsh techniques.

Your dog is only a year old and far from mature. Berners are supposed to be aloof with strangers, it's in their breed description. Please leash your dog when he is outside if he doesn't have reliable recall, he's a large dog and could injure some one or himself. As far as for when people come over, leash your dog up before he has a chance to act up.

My Berner went thru 2 years of obedience classes, she's just a pet and doesn't compete in anything that is organized. It took lots of consistent training to get her to the point of lovable, huggable Berner that most people think of when they see Berners.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I think its the Berner, had a breeder in my dog classes for years even though they can be all goofy and fun loving,, they are a serious dog to confront and hold their ground.. I dog sat a 3 legged Berner , entering his house to care for him,, missing a leg was the last thing you would of noticed about him.. He was fine to care for, sense of humor in him for messing with me then to come and rush and greet me happy.. Am not sure about soft natured.. My friend used inappropriate correction a trainer told her (attempted to alpha roll and pin her Berner down) to stop his jumping and getting hyper.. he he only learned to fight her,back. Powerful pup quickly.. The breeder in class let them bounce off energy as growing pups and then guide them back on task,, even if she had to walk them out of the circle in class.. She had nice well behaved adults..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts