Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of house training our first pup after 16 years. We contantly have her under surveillance. She is getting the idea of going to the backdoor to go outside which is good, of course. But, boy, does she want to go out, and I mean like every 30 minutes or so. She maybe dribbles out a little pee or squats out a bit of poo. She also seem to have a need to pee just a bit on the floor once a day just for the heck of it. She is able to make it pretty much all night in her bed without issues. Could she be getting into the habit of associating treats with going outside, hence the constant trips outdoors?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The way I potty traine my dogs is for 1 week, I keep them crated. The only time they get out of the crate is to go potty! I thought at first when someone told me this it sounded mean...but it works. My rottie could be in the house for 12 hours and would NEVER potty on the floor (after crate trained). Plus crating also teaches them to like their crate. I would find my dogs going in there to lay down all on their own!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Wanting to go out frequently is often a side-effect of the treats/praise method during potty training...they get a treat and attention from you....that's not all bad. It's a pain in the neck with all the 'false alarms' or token efforts but, it goes away after awhile.
Teaching her that she also gets treats/attention for doing basic commands like sit, down, come etc. will reduce the frequency of the false alarms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well how old is she (didn't see a mention of it in your post)?

Depending on age, they have very little control over their need to pee and poop. This improves with age until they are around 3-4 months and have pretty close to full control.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah if she is young it isn't unusual. My pup was wanting to go out every 20mins or so whenever she wasn't crated, until she was about 14 weeks. But, right from 8 weeks she was sleeping 8 hours through the night, not whining to go out, going in her crate or wanting to go when I got up in the middle of the night to check. Now I know she is easily good for 10-12 hours, if there was an emergency which meant she needed to be. She asks to go out every 2-3 hours now when she is uncrated and she is nearly 6 months old.

How old is yours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts