Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiancee and I have a 9month old Peagle (Pekinese/Beagle). She was very shy when we got her in December. Since she has been very energetic and plays well with us. For some reason she has a phobia of big dogs, I understand she is a small dog and I by far do not want her to have small dog syndrome but My fiancee and I plan on getting another dog and when we do we want it to be a bigger dog. How could we get her more accustom to bigger dogs and for her not to be afraid of them??

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can't make your dog like big dogs. You can't make your dog like any dog. It doesn't work like that. You can try socializing her with bigger dogs (if you have friends with bigger dogs) just make sure they are stable dogs and won't hurt her or traumatize her. Depending on how she reacts, you could take her to a dog park but not bring her inside. Just encourage her to smell through the fence. Be patient. Reward her with praise or treats (but don't lure her with treats). Don't expect her to go from zero to being BFFs with another dog over night. It will take a lot of work and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You may not be able to. Dogs have weird quirks like that, hating all dogs of a certain size, colour, breed, sex, etc. Maybe you could get her to be calm around big dogs, but would you want to live in a house with someone that scares you? It would be like if I took in as a roommate a large, hairy spider. I don't run around shrieking when I see spiders anymore, but I couldn't live with one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was good with this Yorkie Puppy my Fiancee wanted looked at. But when we got to bigger full grown dogs that bark she doesn't like it. I think their bark scares her and when she hears it is when she loses her mind, and starts to tuck her tail and run. I was thinking since she is good with the Great Dane Puppies and Lab puppy in our training class, then she possibly would be good with a bigger dog if introduced to them at a young age. I'm not a man of trial and error especially with living animals but I will have to take her to visit the newest addition to our family. My fiancee says you can't choose your brothers or sisters, which I totally agree but Dogs have a better sense for those things than people do. So I think we better off letting Mistletoe pick the dog than us picking. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think you should look at getting a pup in about six months to a year, once your current puppy is a bit older and settled. Look up 'puppy sibling syndrome' and other links realted to having two pups at the same time for reasons why.

In the mean time keep working on her training and get her used to new things, let her mature a bit, spay her if not done yet and look at signing her up for doggy daycare or do some other activities that help her get used to other dogs. And even then, a mature, quieter adult dog (that's bigger and not a bratty puppy) might be a better option for her.

If I let my dogs pick the pets, we'd have 18 cats dressed in either sheep outfits or duck suits, and two of them would round them up in a corner while the third retrieved them for me. I pay the bills, I pick the pets.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Dogs have a better sense for those things than people do. So I think we better off letting Mistletoe pick the dog than us picking. What do you guys think??
Hmmmmm! Where are all these common sense dogs at.

I pay the bills, I pick the pets.
When you're right, you're right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so when we do get another dog we should just pick it and make our dog accept it?? I understand I'm the pack leader and what I say goes, so I guess your right, I make the money, I provide the home, food, water, I should pick the dog.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well I think it's your home, your dog and your choice to allow your dog to choose her own playmate.

Not everybody is going to handle it the same way and you did ask what other people think about Mistletoe being in charge of the picking.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I would definitely wait until she is older - she is still young, and you haven't had her for very long...having two puppies from the same litter at the same time can be great (if you have the time and energy to train to puppies separately as well as together, and can handle double the potty accidents!) but introducing a younger puppy to an older puppy? Not a great idea.

Do lots of training and socializing, and let her meet LOTS of big dogs - my pup dislikes most small dogs, but she does decide on a case-by-case basis (the small dogs around here tend to be spoiled, over loved substitute children/designer handbags....they are aggressive, noisy and just generally live up to the worst small dog stereotypes) - she will still say hi to every small dog, and play if they are friendly, but she is much more cautious with them because most of them bark at her! My point is - you may just need to find the bigger dog that she gets along with!

If she continues to get along with the larger puppies that she has met at a young age, then this is definitely a good thing if you want to get a big dog. But wait and see - if she starts to dislike them once they become much bigger than her, you may have a problem. Getting a dog as a puppy when introducing it to other furry family members is generally a good idea.

And when it comes to going to meet a new prospective pup, I think you need to find a balance between doing the picking yourself, and letting her do it. Many shelters will not let you adopt a dog into a home with another dog unless they have met first, and I think that this is a good policy. Do your research, decide on a pup that YOU want, and then take her to meet it, and make sure that there are no immediate major issues. That way you aren't flinging them together with absolutely no thought as to how they may get on, but you also aren't taking home a pup that is completely unsuited to you just because your other dog liked it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I would definitely wait until she is older - she is still young, and you haven't had her for very long...having two puppies from the same litter at the same time can be great (if you have the time and energy to train to puppies separately as well as together, and can handle double the potty accidents!) but introducing a younger puppy to an older puppy? Not a great idea.

Do lots of training and socializing, and let her meet LOTS of big dogs - my pup dislikes most small dogs, but she does decide on a case-by-case basis (the small dogs around here tend to be spoiled, over loved substitute children/designer handbags....they are aggressive, noisy and just generally live up to the worst small dog stereotypes) - she will still say hi to every small dog, and play if they are friendly, but she is much more cautious with them because most of them bark at her! My point is - you may just need to find the bigger dog that she gets along with!

If she continues to get along with the larger puppies that she has met at a young age, then this is definitely a good thing if you want to get a big dog. But wait and see - if she starts to dislike them once they become much bigger than her, you may have a problem. Getting a dog as a puppy when introducing it to other furry family members is generally a good idea.

And when it comes to going to meet a new prospective pup, I think you need to find a balance between doing the picking yourself, and letting her do it. Many shelters will not let you adopt a dog into a home with another dog unless they have met first, and I think that this is a good policy. Do your research, decide on a pup that YOU want, and then take her to meet it, and make sure that there are no immediate major issues. That way you aren't flinging them together with absolutely no thought as to how they may get on, but you also aren't taking home a pup that is completely unsuited to you just because your other dog liked it.
Definitely sounds like a plan, if it does not help, should not hurt anything. At the very least it ill help life with present dog. It's a win-win with Mistletoe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys so much with the info we have just gotten we are deciding to wait a little longer, get Mistletoe spayed, and then add another dog to the mix once Mistletoe is settling down a little more. I always thought since Mistletoe is a nice and relaxed dog she would be setting the tone for whatever other puppy we got. She's getting better with bigger dogs and my fiancee and I have learned she isn't fond of the bigger dogs that bark at her. I think since she doesn't bark much she doesn't expect them to bark at her either but who knows. In time we will know what we want to do and when the time comes, my fiancee and I will choose a dog we like and Mistletoe will meet it afterwards and see what she thinks and we will do that until we find as perfect of a match as we can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts