My parents anger me...
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My parents anger me...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7

    My parents anger me...

    Despite my pleas, my parents have given our 14-week old puppy a piece of ice cream cake that is part chocolate. I kept warning them since I've heard that dairy and chocolate could be poisonous to dogs but they just wouldn't listen to me. It's incredibly frustrating. Now I'm very worried about him, but I guess I won't see the effects until tomorrow morning. Argh.... Should I be concerned?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member K8IE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    middle Tennessee
    Posts
    707

    Re: My parents anger me...

    When you say a "piece" of cake, do you mean like a whole slice, like as much as a person would eat? Or do you mean just a bite or two? While that is definitely not something I would give my dog, I would not worry too much if it was a small amount. It is the dark or bakers type chocolate that will make a dog sick, and as far as dairy goes, it would take quite a bit to cause tummy issues. Just keep an eye on him and give your parents a good talking to.

    Katie
    mom to Cooper, Boxer born 3/20/07
    Angus, French Bulldog born 9/28/10
    and my angel boy, Killian 4/97-1/07

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9

    Re: My parents anger me...

    OMG. Ive read thats one major thing you should avoid giving your dog. Anyways, if they've given it in small amounts, I think your dog will be fine. It also depends in the size of your dog. If his big and they gave a small amount, he should be totally fine. Otherwise, you should observe him.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7

    Re: My parents anger me...

    Thank you very much for your replies. I feel a little better now. My parents never listen to what I have to say...>_>

    Also, the cake was about 1 inch by 2 inches. Since he's still a puppy, he weighs about 12lb, so I'm not sure if he'll be okay with that amount.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    135

    Re: My parents anger me...

    It's like k8IE says, it depends on the quality (darkness) and the amount of the chocolate. With dark chocolate 40grams per kg bodyweight (sorry i use european measures) is poisenous. You can check for symptoms like nervousness, excitement, shaking, panting, increased hartrate. Perhaps it helps if you let your parents read about the riscs of chocolate, or ask the vet to tell them, the next time youre there

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9

    Re: My parents anger me...

    How is the situtation of your dog now? Is he acting normal? Also, read online the foods that you should avoid feeding your dog. Its not only chocolates but a lot like Grapes and raisins, Mushrooms and more here http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1030

  9. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    894

    Re: My parents anger me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambiflyte View Post
    Despite my pleas, my parents have given our 14-week old puppy a piece of ice cream cake that is part chocolate. I kept warning them since I've heard that dairy and chocolate could be poisonous to dogs but they just wouldn't listen to me. It's incredibly frustrating. Now I'm very worried about him, but I guess I won't see the effects until tomorrow morning. Argh.... Should I be concerned?
    There is not enough actual chocolate in a piece of ice cream cake to cause a problem.

    http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES...olatetoxic.HTM

  10. #8
    Senior Member alphadoginthehouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,195

    Re: My parents anger me...

    I don't think you have anything to worry about with the chocolate; however, feeding junk food to a puppy probably isn't the best thing to be doing. IMO, it will only promote begging (which I will not tolerate in any of my animals) and the junk food could cause the puppy to have an upset tummy no matter what it is.

    Hopefully, your parents will not continue this feeding and maybe you can enlist the help of your vet. You don't mention how old you are but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can get through to them that junk food is not good for him.

    Good Luck and keep us posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by KaseyT View Post
    There is not enough actual chocolate in a piece of ice cream cake to cause a problem.

    http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES...olatetoxic.HTM
    Kasey, one of the items listed in this article was raw eggs; however, I have read many posts on here stating that the parents fed the dog raw eggs. I always scramble the eggs, but have heard raw ISN'T good. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by alphadoginthehouse; 08-02-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost



  11. #9
    Senior Member CinnamintStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    CA High Desert
    Posts
    175

    Re: My parents anger me...

    It takes quite a bit of dark baking chocolate to poision a dog. I heard my vet tell a lady that was all paniced when her dog ate a 1 pound box of chocolate candy, that her dog would not be posioned. It is only the dark chocolate in large amounts. Even when I was a kid my dogs would get into my haloween candy to eat the chocolate. My husband lets his dog lick his ice cream bowl after he has finished almost every night. Nothing has ever happened.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Kathyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: My parents anger me...

    Sassy ate and threw up nearly three pounds of milk chocolate bars when we first got her. She was very sick for a couple of days. She weighs a lean 40 pounds. She has gotten into cocoa powder and semi sweet chips as well. The cocoa powder is the worst type of chocolate but she was okay that time.

    The chocolate is bad but the processed fat in the cake could lead to a bad upset as well. If you want to indulge the dog give plain fruit, vegetables or meat.

    It is all about the amount though. Licking an ice cream bowl is much better than getting her own ice cream cone. One bite of cake is better than getting a bite from everybody or he own slice. I really think they enjoy the tiny treat as much as the big treat, sure wish I was the same way!

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    20,766

    Re: My parents anger me...

    I read that it would take one ounce of dark eating chocolate to kill a 10-pound dog. I don't know how that would translate to baking chocolate, or to milk chocolate. I do know that I don't have to worry if Toby (80 pounds) eats a 3 ounce dark chocolate bar........
    "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
    Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    14

    Re: My parents anger me...

    If it helps at all, my puppy got to some chocolate chip cookies, about 8-10 of them. He was around 45 pounds at the time and was just sick for a little over a day.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Kathyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: My parents anger me...

    If the dog is sick from the chocolate they are hyper. Sassy was climbing the walls, couldn't sleep or listen to us when she ate all the chocolate. Think how you would feel if you accidently drank expressos instead of your usual 4 cups of decaff. We felt so sorry for her. Of course she got into chocolate at every opportunity after that first really bad time anyway.

    Cookies, ice cream and many human treats can be very high in fat. Pancreatitis is a very bad chronic condition that can happen after too much fat is eaten. The theobromine poisoning from chocolate doesn't cause any problems once it is out of the system. Guess I would rather have the dog eat a bit of plain chocolate rather than the cake.

  16. #14
    Senior Member melgrj7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,804

    Re: My parents anger me...

    Julie's sister's dog ate an entire chocolate cake. Aside from having a tummy ache for a day or two she was fine.

  17. #15
    Senior Member Kathyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: My parents anger me...

    Sassy ate many loaves of bread and tubs of margerine and only had loose stool for a couple days each time. She could have developed pancreatitis. She certainly over did it often enough.

    If Sassy had retained all the chocolate she ate that was very close to a lethal dose. Three pounds of milk chocolate for a forty pound dog. I don't think anybody would give a dog enough chocolate as treats to make them sick, it takes too much. Just don't leave the soccer candy in the same room as the dog!

    Just when I think we have her figured out my DH left a paper towel with a few crumbs with her. She ate it. She is nearly 15 years old. She is sick. She is hesitant to eat her delicious home made chicken and rice food. And she eats a paper towel. Dogs!

Quick Reply Quick Reply



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.