hand signal for down command
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: hand signal for down command

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    72

    hand signal for down command

    what is the hand signal for down? i have been using palm facing down straight down to ground. Thats working well. Since i wanna enter my dog in competition and call a competition trainer yesterday. And she tells me that OFFICIAL hand signal for down in competition obedience and schutzhund etc is palm going straight up lil above your head. Is that true?

    Where can i find list of all hand signal. ??

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member LazyGRanch713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,152

    Re: hand signal for down command

    Quote Originally Posted by neupane00 View Post
    what is the hand signal for down? i have been using palm facing down straight down to ground. Thats working well. Since i wanna enter my dog in competition and call a competition trainer yesterday. And she tells me that OFFICIAL hand signal for down in competition obedience and schutzhund etc is palm going straight up lil above your head. Is that true?

    Where can i find list of all hand signal. ??
    I think the "correct" hand signal for down is what you described. That's what I use. Picture a traffic cop
    A friend of mine taught her dog to bark when someone flipped the bird...hey, it was good for some laughs
    I've found training hand signals to be much, much easier than verbal cues. I don't think there is a list of "proper" hand signals, there are rules to what those hand signals can be consisted of though on the akc.org website.
    I personally use my right hand, palm out, for down, and my left hand for sit (I cup my hand and "scoop" it towards my face). Stand is with my right hand as well, but it's at my waist level and "sideways".

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: hand signal for down command

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyGRanch713 View Post
    I think the "correct" hand signal for down is what you described. That's what I use. Picture a traffic cop
    A friend of mine taught her dog to bark when someone flipped the bird...hey, it was good for some laughs
    I've found training hand signals to be much, much easier than verbal cues. I don't think there is a list of "proper" hand signals, there are rules to what those hand signals can be consisted of though on the akc.org website.
    I personally use my right hand, palm out, for down, and my left hand for sit (I cup my hand and "scoop" it towards my face). Stand is with my right hand as well, but it's at my waist level and "sideways".
    wow.. its hard to picture the actual signal by just reading words. any website with video or pictures would help..

  5. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member LazyGRanch713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,152

    Re: hand signal for down command

    Quote Originally Posted by neupane00 View Post
    wow.. its hard to picture the actual signal by just reading words. any website with video or pictures would help..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ab_qsL7rGg


  7. #5
    Senior Member Poly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,260

    Re: hand signal for down command

    Quote Originally Posted by neupane00 View Post
    what is the hand signal for down? i have been using palm facing down straight down to ground. Thats working well. Since i wanna enter my dog in competition and call a competition trainer yesterday. And she tells me that OFFICIAL hand signal for down in competition obedience and schutzhund etc is palm going straight up lil above your head. Is that true?

    Where can i find list of all hand signal. ??
    There is no such thing as an "official" signal for any AKC obedience exercise or for any UKC obedience exercise. You can use any signal so long as it meets the general rules. Essentially, a signal is a hand, or hand and arm, movement made as one gesture, with an immediate return to a natural position. That's it.

    The arm raised/palm extended signal that you described is one that is often used for the down portion of various exercises, but you are not required to use it. Even in Utility, where you must signal, the signal itself can be whatever you want within the general rules.

    I'm not as familiar with VPG/Schutzhund, but as I recall it the required signaling is somewhat as you described, but not quite. Points can be deducted for handler errors even if the dog performs flawlessly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.