PetCo stepping up its game!
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: PetCo stepping up its game!

  1. #1
    Senior Member BellaPup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,484

    PetCo stepping up its game!

    Mom and I went to PetCo last week so she could get kitty food. I walked in not expecting much as usual, and right there I saw a display of Canidae - which I feed Bella - I thought, "wow - they're carrying Canidae now?" Then thought, "oh no, why are they carrying Canidae?!?" As I walked around the store I noticed LOTS of good foods that they never carried before. I was amazed!

    The clerk explained that they are discontinuing any food that contains artificial ingredients (including the Iams that mom feeds her cat) But I was so happy to hear that!
    It's about time!

    Now - if they'd just stop selling small animals :/

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member LeoRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    951

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    Yeah, but they are closing down the Drs. Foster & Smith mail order operations, though. Nearly 300 people will be out of work. http://www.wxpr.org/post/petco-close...Ce6lo#stream/0
    ~~The current Hellhounds~~
    CA Speed Queen Leontine Von Washateria ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr) GPS-BST (GSD)
    Lily Dale- A Melody Unchained ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr) GPS-BST (APBT)
    ~~Requiescat In Pace~~
    Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (All American) ~2009-2017~

  4. #3
    Member blujacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    32

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    I buy my cat food there, currently feeding Merrick. They're forcing people to buy online now with cost increases. I paid $20 more than what I could purchase it online for. I was not happy. I may switch them to Fromm now since I feed my pup their food and it's not much more cost wise.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member BellaPup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,484

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
    Yeah, but they are closing down the Drs. Foster & Smith mail order operations, though. Nearly 300 people will be out of work. http://www.wxpr.org/post/petco-close...Ce6lo#stream/0
    Oh, noo! Well, that's not good news at all!!! I've been a customer of DF&S for 20 years or more!

    Okay, Petco - I'm back to not liking you.

  7. #5
    Senior Member sydneynicole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    I follow Orijen on Instagram and they announced yesterday that Orijen and Acana will be available in Petcos starting in March, which is cool. I personally don't shop at/support Petco (I prefer to shop smaller businesses when possible, and if not, online) but I think it's a positive thing overall, a step in the right direction. A lot of dog owners solely shop at Petco for food and such and having these "better" brands available is bound to benefit some dogs. I'm sure they'll mark up these higher priced foods like crazy, but still.

    On another note, maybe I'm late to the party, but I just found out the other day that Petsmart owns Chewy.
    Last edited by sydneynicole; 01-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    https://www.dogforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic216410_1.gif
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
    ― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

  8. #6
    Senior Member LeoRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    951

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    Quote Originally Posted by sydneynicole View Post
    I follow Orijen on Instagram and they announced yesterday that Orijen and Acana will be available in Petcos starting in March, which is cool. I personally don't shop at/support Petco (I prefer to shop smaller businesses when possible, and if not, online) but I think it's a positive thing overall, a step in the right direction. A lot of dog owners solely shop at Petco for food and such and having these "better" brands available is bound to benefit some dogs. I'm sure they'll mark up these higher priced foods like crazy, but still.

    On another note, maybe I'm late to the party, but I just found out the other day that Petsmart owns Chewy.
    The irony is strong with that.... Champion Foods yanked Orijin and Acana products off of Chewy when they were purchased by Petsmart last year (year before?) because they wouldn't allow their products sold at big box stores... However, there have been reports that Champion has been in talks with Nestle for a while now, so I'm guessing they've gone ahead and sold to them, if Orijin and Acana are going to be available at Petco.
    ~~The current Hellhounds~~
    CA Speed Queen Leontine Von Washateria ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr) GPS-BST (GSD)
    Lily Dale- A Melody Unchained ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr) GPS-BST (APBT)
    ~~Requiescat In Pace~~
    Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (All American) ~2009-2017~

  9. #7
    Senior Member sydneynicole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
    The irony is strong with that.... Champion Foods yanked Orijin and Acana products off of Chewy when they were purchased by Petsmart last year (year before?) because they wouldn't allow their products sold at big box stores... However, there have been reports that Champion has been in talks with Nestle for a while now, so I'm guessing they've gone ahead and sold to them, if Orijin and Acana are going to be available at Petco.
    Hm, that's interesting! And you're right, ironic. I noticed a while ago when those lines were no longer available on Chewy but didn't think much about it as I only have Orijen or Acana in the rotation maybe once a year. I did a quick google and an article from December 21st 2018 talks about how they are still "talking with" Nestle, so not sure if anything has been set in stone yet as far as Nestle goes.
    https://www.dogforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic216410_1.gif
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
    ― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

  10. #8
    Senior Member Canyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,210

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    I've heard from my very informed pet nutrition center (read: high end dog food store, but actually owned by a dog nutritionist), a month ago, that Champion did not sell to Purina. Maybe that has since changed, but I will ask when I pick up food next week.
    Soro - 4.22.06 - retriever/X
    Braeburn - 1.29.17 - Dutch shepherd

  11. #9
    Senior Member PatriciafromCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    Didn't one of the PetCO or Petsmart buy out Chewy online? I would think which ever one purchased Chewy would be able to use it to stock their stores as well...

  12. #10
    Senior Member sydneynicole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciafromCO View Post
    Didn't one of the PetCO or Petsmart buy out Chewy online? I would think which ever one purchased Chewy would be able to use it to stock their stores as well...
    Petsmart owns Chewy, but Champion Foods pulled their products from Chewy when that happened, so I've learned.
    https://www.dogforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic216410_1.gif
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
    ― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

  13. #11
    Senior Member LeoRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    951

    Re: PetCo stepping up its game!

    PetSmart bought Chewy. Champion and Fromm pulled their products from Chewy when that happened, both saying that they wouldn't sell their products through big box stores. So now you can buy Champion products at a different big box store?
    Last edited by LeoRose; 01-19-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    ~~The current Hellhounds~~
    CA Speed Queen Leontine Von Washateria ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr) GPS-BST (GSD)
    Lily Dale- A Melody Unchained ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr) GPS-BST (APBT)
    ~~Requiescat In Pace~~
    Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (All American) ~2009-2017~

Quick Reply Quick Reply



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.