What are you cooking tonight
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 246

Thread: What are you cooking tonight

  1. #1
    Senior Member d_ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    2,986

    What are you cooking tonight

    Any fellow cookers want to share what they are cooking for din or share recipes? It's raining here so we are having homemade broccoli cheddar soup with turkey, bacon, avocado Sammies on sour dough bread. I'm planning to make homemade Chinese tomorrow: dumplings, crispy pork, and chow mein.


    Jewel- 3 yr old Catahoula mix
    Jasmine- 2-3 yr old Catahoula mix

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member cookieface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    I'm being super lazy (have been for the past few weeks): corn, zucchini, tomatoes, and beans (if I get around to cooking them). Dessert will be the watermelon I just cut up.

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    472

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    I love cooking! Most of the time I cook very healthy, except for tonight: I am making Chicken parmesan casserole with wet cornbread. Tomorrow I will go back to being healthy for the week with the following recipes: Vegan Lentil Soup, homemade Peanut Butter Chews, Cauliflower Mac N Cheese, and crockpot blackbeans used for burritos...Yumm. And of course I drink a green smoothie for breakfast everyday yummmmmmmm.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member gingerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    My mother-in-law is cooking tonight - my birthday was this week and tonight's the family dinner.

    Because of the heat (its 27C in our apartment right now, and we don't have AC), we have been kind of limited in our cooking. We grill outside a lot, but only have a tiny BBQ and no sideburner. This week will probably be some kind of salad (with garden lettuce and tomatoes) with chicken and homemade balsamic dressing; grilled pork steak with roast potatoes (done on the bbq) and corn on the cob (cooked in the microwave), maybe burgers... Our menus are pretty centered around what kinds of things are on special this week and/or what kinds of groceries hubby's mom "accidentally" buys too much of.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    409

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    I just ate a carrot with my pups, that might just be it! Very lazy!
    WESTIE LUV

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    409

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    For me, the pups had their dinner earlier, but they love carrots...
    Don't want anybody to think that the pups have to make do with a carrot for dinner...haha!
    WESTIE LUV

  9. #7
    Senior Member jade5280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,023

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    d_ray, can I come live with you please??? That all sounds so delicious. I've been living off of junk lately. I haven't had the time to cook anything good. Well, I could be cooking right now instead of being on DF, but then that would just be crazy.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    10,514

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Tonight was cubed pork chops, breaded and fried, with baked sweet potato and a big side salad with tomatos, carrots, sunflower seeds, cotija cheese, and vidalia onions. The dogs had chicken gizzards and kibble soaked in salmon juices (from making salmon salad for lunch).

    This has been a good eating week. I made a big dish of lean ground beef, sauteed chopped cabbage, diced tomatos, cooked brown rice and chopped garlic and it made great leftover too. Kind of like the Russian style cabbage rolls but without the work of making rolls. Took less than 15 minutes from start to eating.
    15 bean soup with ham. Ground lamb meatloaf with oven roasted broccoli (large fresh stalks that get all crispy and savory) and baked beans. Breakfast burritos for dinner with scrambled eggs, cabbage, garlic, and cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    I'm being super lazy (have been for the past few weeks): corn, zucchini, tomatoes, and beans (if I get around to cooking them). Dessert will be the watermelon I just cut up.
    Try this zucchini tomato bake. The veggies don't get mushy but the flavors meld nicely. It also reheats well.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-zucchini-casserole/
    Last edited by Shell; 08-16-2014 at 08:12 PM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member cookieface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Try this zucchini tomato bake. The veggies don't get mushy but the flavors meld nicely. It also reheats well.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-zucchini-casserole/
    My MIL makes something like that (she probably had a recipe decades ago and now just goes by smell and taste) and it's delicious. Unfortunately, by the time I omit the ingredients I can't eat, I'd end up with zucchini, tomatoes, onion, and herbs. It does give me the idea to try something more creative with my summer veggies.

  12. #10
    Senior Member fourdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    I baked chicken in the oven. Cut it in half, swizzled avocado oil over it, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, paprika, baked at 375 for an hour in an convection oven and... yum! Opted to not do a side with it. We weren't all that hungry. It was delish.
    the fourdogs down to two
    Echo the PWD, 6, and Jack the poodle, 2

  13. #11
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    10,514

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    My MIL makes something like that (she probably had a recipe decades ago and now just goes by smell and taste) and it's delicious. Unfortunately, by the time I omit the ingredients I can't eat, I'd end up with zucchini, tomatoes, onion, and herbs. It does give me the idea to try something more creative with my summer veggies.
    Balsamic vinegar is my go-to for enhancing summer veggies. Either drizzled on fresh, used to stirfry/sautee, or cook up some pasta like spinach tortellini, drain and toss with tomatos and some balsamic in the saucepan just until the tomatos are warm. It also makes a good topping for a version of strawberry short cake using scones, fresh berries and balsamic reduction.

    Zucchinie can be breaded and fried and its not so healthy anymore but its good.

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    556

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Tonight are these yummy blue-cheese burgers the local butcher has pre made. They are to die for. With fresh heirloom tomatoes from the garden, and corn on the cob too.
    ]
    Cosmo the Shetland Sheepdog DOB: 6.14.13

  15. #13
    Senior Member d_ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    2,986

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by gingerkid View Post
    My mother-in-law is cooking tonight - my birthday was this week and tonight's the family dinner.

    Because of the heat (its 27C in our apartment right now, and we don't have AC), we have been kind of limited in our cooking. We grill outside a lot, but only have a tiny BBQ and no sideburner. This week will probably be some kind of salad (with garden lettuce and tomatoes) with chicken and homemade balsamic dressing; grilled pork steak with roast potatoes (done on the bbq) and corn on the cob (cooked in the microwave), maybe burgers... Our menus are pretty centered around what kinds of things are on special this week and/or what kinds of groceries hubby's mom "accidentally" buys too much of.
    We are the same. Broc soup happened because we have a head of Broc that would be going bad.


    Jewel- 3 yr old Catahoula mix
    Jasmine- 2-3 yr old Catahoula mix

  16. #14
    Senior Member d_ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    2,986

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by littlesoprano View Post
    Tonight are these yummy blue-cheese burgers the local butcher has pre made. They are to die for. With fresh heirloom tomatoes from the garden, and corn on the cob too.
    Yummy. Blue cheese is one of my fav foods. And corn... Drool


    Jewel- 3 yr old Catahoula mix
    Jasmine- 2-3 yr old Catahoula mix

  17. #15
    Senior Member d_ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    2,986

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Tonight was cubed pork chops, breaded and fried, with baked sweet potato and a big side salad with tomatos, carrots, sunflower seeds, cotija cheese, and vidalia onions. The dogs had chicken gizzards and kibble soaked in salmon juices (from making salmon salad for lunch).

    This has been a good eating week. I made a big dish of lean ground beef, sauteed chopped cabbage, diced tomatos, cooked brown rice and chopped garlic and it made great leftover too. Kind of like the Russian style cabbage rolls but without the work of making rolls. Took less than 15 minutes from start to eating.
    15 bean soup with ham. Ground lamb meatloaf with oven roasted broccoli (large fresh stalks that get all crispy and savory) and baked beans. Breakfast burritos for dinner with scrambled eggs, cabbage, garlic, and cheese.



    Try this zucchini tomato bake. The veggies don't get mushy but the flavors meld nicely. It also reheats well.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-zucchini-casserole/
    Delish I will definitel be trying that. Did you put tomatoes in the beef mixture


    Jewel- 3 yr old Catahoula mix
    Jasmine- 2-3 yr old Catahoula mix

  18. #16
    Senior Member MRVivekB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    426

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    apologies for the pic, but I just posted this exact thing to facebook a few hours ago. The wife & I are both of Indian ancestry. India has many different regions, my wifes parents are from one, each of my parents are from two others. I decided to try & make something from her region as her folks were coming over for dinner. I've literally never cooked this type of stuff before, but I learned to cook when I was 11 so I was brave enough to try. Check it out. Its chickpea flour, yogurt, and water, mixed into a dough, cooked in the microwave, spread flat, then rolled up once cooled. Then its garnished with fried chili peppers/curry leaves/mustard seeds.

    Not only is it awesome, its gluten-free. I have a daughter with Celiacs so thats medically required. Here's the photo grid I posted, including me serving my mother in law. (and India is still old school, a son-in-law simply does not cook as there are either servants or wives for that. Still, In 2014. Sad.)



    I also made the Indian equivalent of chili, but thats a little boring to post, esp as I didn't take any pics ;-)
    Last edited by MRVivekB; 08-17-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #17
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    10,514

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Its chickpea flour, yogurt, and water, mixed into a dough, cooked in the microwave, spread flat, then rolled up once cooled.
    That looks good, about what are the amounts of flour to yogurt to water and how long to cook?

    Quote Originally Posted by d_ray View Post
    Delish I will definitel be trying that. Did you put tomatoes in the beef mixture
    Yes. I used a pound of ground beef (this will make about 3-4 servings) and browned it in the fry pan and drained it and set it aside. Then in the same pan I added a dash of flavored butter (butter mixed with lime juice, chili powder and a dash of salt; I melt the butter and mix it up and keep it in a jar in the fridge for all kinds of dishes) and a 1/2 head of roughly chopped cabbage and about 3 chopped fresh garlic cloves. Sautee till cooked but still firm. Add diced tomatos on top, stir, add cooked rice (brown or jasmine is best), stir and then add back in the ground beef and stir to make sure everything is heated. Add a little red pepper powder to taste.
    Last edited by Shell; 08-17-2014 at 11:50 AM.

  20. #18
    Senior Member gingerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    I'm being super lazy (have been for the past few weeks): corn, zucchini, tomatoes, and beans (if I get around to cooking them). Dessert will be the watermelon I just cut up.
    My mom does this awesome zucchini dish with tomatoes, bacon, and onions. (You can omit the bacon, for a veg option).

    Cook 1-2 slices of bacon, diced, until its starting to get crisp and the fat is mostly rendered out - skip this step if not using bacon, and just add some butter or oil to the pan. Then you sauté the onions in the fat (I like strips, but you can do chopped or diced or whatever) until they start to soften and toss in the tomatoes (diced big tomatoes or halved cherry/grape tomatoes) and cook them for a few minutes until they start to soften, and then toss in the zucchini, cut into 1" pieces (cut into quarters and diced, or in half and diced for small zucchini). Season with a little bit of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is to your preferred done-ness.

  21. #19
    Senior Member cookieface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by MRVivekB View Post
    apologies for the pic, but I just posted this exact thing to facebook a few hours ago. The wife & I are both of Indian ancestry. India has many different regions, my wifes parents are from one, each of my parents are from two others. I decided to try & make something from her region as her folks were coming over for dinner. I've literally never cooked this type of stuff before, but I learned to cook when I was 11 so I was brave enough to try. Check it out. Its chickpea flour, yogurt, and water, mixed into a dough, cooked in the microwave, spread flat, then rolled up once cooled. Then its garnished with fried chili peppers/curry leaves/mustard seeds.

    Not only is it awesome, its gluten-free. I have a daughter with Celiacs so thats medically required. Here's the photo grid I posted, including me serving my mother in law. (and India is still old school, a son-in-law simply does not cook as there are either servants or wives for that. Still, In 2014. Sad.)



    I also made the Indian equivalent of chili, but thats a little boring to post, esp as I didn't take any pics ;-)
    That looks delicious! I'm curious about the chickpea flour dough, too. Is it more dough-like or batter-like? And I'm sure your Indian version of chili is not boring. I'd be super interested in any of your recipes.

    Quote Originally Posted by gingerkid View Post
    My mom does this awesome zucchini dish with tomatoes, bacon, and onions. (You can omit the bacon, for a veg option).

    Cook 1-2 slices of bacon, diced, until its starting to get crisp and the fat is mostly rendered out - skip this step if not using bacon, and just add some butter or oil to the pan. Then you sauté the onions in the fat (I like strips, but you can do chopped or diced or whatever) until they start to soften and toss in the tomatoes (diced big tomatoes or halved cherry/grape tomatoes) and cook them for a few minutes until they start to soften, and then toss in the zucchini, cut into 1" pieces (cut into quarters and diced, or in half and diced for small zucchini). Season with a little bit of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is to your preferred done-ness.
    That sounds awesome! I bet it would be even better with some corn, basil, and chipotles.
    Last edited by cookieface; 08-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.

  22. #20
    Senior Member MRVivekB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    426

    Re: What are you cooking tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    That looks delicious! I'm curious about the chickpea flour dough, too. Is it more dough-like or batter-like? And I'm sure your Indian version of chili is not boring. I'd be super interested in any of your recipes.
    http://shitals-kitchen.blogspot.in/2...andvi.html?m=1

    thats a link to where I got the recipe, inclusive of amounts & pics. The big thing to call out is that I think USA-based microwaves must be much stronger, that called for 8 total minutes but in my 1100W microwave that cooked the hell out of it. Backing down to 5 minutes seemed to work better.

    Its definitely batter like, you mix it all up, microwave it (3 different times, mixing between), then spread it on the BOTTOM of a pan. aka, i took my turkey roasting pan, flipped it, and spread on the bottom.

    The recipe calls for a spice only available at an Indian store ("Hing"). I don't think thats really needed, indeed my wife thinks it smells like armpits :-) I would think any of your favorite spice would work. I might try paprika, or maybe just generic indian "curry powder", which you can buy at Safeway. Also, my aunt recommended sprinkling a dusting of cayenne pepper at the end. My kids were going to have it, so I decided against that.

    My indian style chili looks like regular chili but relies almost 100% on indian spices so you'd have to have an indian grocery store nearby. If folks are interested in my american/indian mashup (growing up in NY I tend to tweak everything to my tastes instead of purely authentic) I can post the recipes.

  23. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.