Has your dog been stung by a bee?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    332

    Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    Codie is chasing bees constantly - they are all over my azaleas, honeysuckle, etc. I don't know if she has caught one yet, but she sure is trying.

    If she got stung, would I know it by hearing her yelp or seeing a sting spot? What happens when a dog gets stung, and especially if she gets stung in the mouth while trying to eat it?

    {Just an aside, she loves it outside and it's really hard to get her to come in now that it's good weather. There is too much going on out there that interests her. Last night I heard loud, excited (borderline screaming) barking and she had something cornered in the yard. So I got the flashlight and went to see what the fuss was about. After searching for a few minutes, I found it was some sort of (huge) caterpillar/worm type of thing, about 4 inches long. It's good to know she's protecting me from such dangerous things! }
    Last edited by didee; 04-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Super Moderator RonE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, WI
    Posts
    10,253

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    Some dogs (like some people) are allergic to bee stings and it can be quite dangerous for them. Without treatment (which might be as simple as an antihistamine, like Benadryl) they swell up and can have serious respiratory problems.

    Most dogs will not react this way, but I can't imagine it's much fun for them getting stung.

    As I mentioned on another thread, I had a black lab that would snatch bees and yellow jackets out of the air, swish them around a bit and spit them out - quite dead but otherwise intact. I don't know how he did it without getting stung, but he never acted like he was stung.

  4. #3
    Senior Member infiniti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Flower Mound, TX
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    I don't think Bella's been stung by a bee as yet. We don't have bees in our yard too often, though she does love to chase bugs. I am not sure that if she were stung that I would even know about it unless she had a reaction of some sort.

    Bella is not too much of a sissy-baby where pain is concerned. She takes her shots like a champ, although I must say, she cries when she is getting her nails clipped (professionally - it is not hitting the quick, believe me!). She can be a silly girl.

    She cried once when we were playing tug; I think the frayed rope got caught in her tooth/gum. Other than that, she is a pretty tough cookie. I am the wuss. She is very strong, very muscled and her teeth are very big. She doesn't ever intentionally bite, but when we play, she will accidentally graze my hand or something and it HURTS. When we're playing tug, she can almost pull my arm out of socket! She can darn near knock me over when she has running momentum. She's pretty rock solid for 40 pounds!


    "No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." -Louis Sabin







  5. #4
    Senior Member theyogachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Bluegrass State!
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    Both my dogs were stug by bees/wasps when they were puppies. They liked to chase them...until they were stung. Both yelped and whined (heck, we thought Gizmo was being murdered, but he is a drama dog, so can't judge by him), but we didn't have any serious side effects or anything.
    Gracie: 3 year old old husky mix, CGC, Therapy dog with TDInc
    Garmin: 1 year old ACD/husky mix, pain in the rear
    Gizmo: RIP my sweet Shiba.

  6. #5
    Senior Member JohnnyBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,782

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    Quote Originally Posted by didee View Post
    Codie is chasing bees constantly - they are all over my azaleas, honeysuckle, etc. I don't know if she has caught one yet, but she sure is trying.

    If she got stung, would I know it by hearing her yelp or seeing a sting spot? What happens when a dog gets stung, and especially if she gets stung in the mouth while trying to eat it?

    {Just an aside, she loves it outside and it's really hard to get her to come in now that it's good weather. There is too much going on out there that interests her. Last night I heard loud, excited (borderline screaming) barking and she had something cornered in the yard. So I got the flashlight and went to see what the fuss was about. After searching for a few minutes, I found it was some sort of (huge) caterpillar/worm type of thing, about 4 inches long. It's good to know she's protecting me from such dangerous things! }
    Depends on how stoic the dog is as to whether you would hear a yelp. Around here it is more wasps and yellow jackets than bees. Plus we have a thing we call ground hornets. Black and yellow, nearly as long and big around as a man's ring finger. They can bite the fire out of you but aren't really aggressive. I have messed with them and never been stung. I have dogs at times that will catch all of those. Bandit used to be a master at grabbing them out of the air. At time I could see where he got bit. But never once did I hear a yelp.
    Dog VooDoo Crappola

  7. #6
    Senior Member Namrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    374

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    My/mom's GSD got stung by a bee when she was a puppy. I was working and she was outside. She came inside, sat down in front of me, waited for me to look at her then _screamed_.

    I took her to the vet right away, she had been stung in the mouth and was already badly swollen by the time we got there. He fixed her up, but if she'd not been treated quickly could have had major respiratory issues, ie: suffocation.

    She hasn't gone near a bee since, though? All's well that ends well.

    Elka (Husky mix)
    Mali (Bengal)
    Milton (Golden Retriever ... mix?)
    Odin (RIP, Norwegian Elkhound)
    Kayne (RIP, Highland Lynx)
    Hannah (Stolen by mom! German shepherd)

  8. #7
    Senior Member Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    115

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    Mason has a habit of catching and eating insects. The more they move, the more fun he has with it. When he was a puppy, he happened to catch a bee that had gotten into the house. It stung him on the tongue. He didn't make a sound, but I swear, I've never seen such a terrified look on a dogs face. Ever. It's the only reason I knew something was wrong.

    Thankfully, he didn't swell up (about the only thing that doesn't result in that reaction.. go figure).

  9. #8
    Senior Member Leroy&Lucy'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Has your dog been stung by a bee?

    Yup. Both of mine have. Leroy's face swelled up. With Lucy I heard a yelp, but didn't see any swelling. I always keep benadryl on hand. Give little dogs 1 tab, and big dogs 2 if they get stung.

  10. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.