My Puppy Ate His Blanket
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brooklin, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    My 4 month old Lab ate part of his blanket that I had in his crate for him...He was so sick last night, throwing up several times. He seems to be feeling better this morning after a horrible night.

    Has this happened to any of you before???

    Steph
    Last edited by Hersheysmom; 11-25-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member chul3l3ies1126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deep South Tx
    Posts
    4,135

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    Quote Originally Posted by Hersheysmom View Post
    My 4 month old Lab ate part of his blanket that I had in his crate for him...He was so sick last night, throwing up several times. He seems to be feeling better this morning after a horrible night.

    Has this happened to any of you before???

    Steph
    Did he throw the blanket up?!
    His body might have been reacting to the blanket by throwing up like that... HE COULD STILL HAVE IT IN HIS STOMACH! You really need to get him to a veterinarian. This is not something to be taken so lightly. (Pieces of it could wrap around in his intestines and cause a blockage or even a cut! He could be in real danger...)
    (I'm part of a Dane forum and one of the members recently lost their dane pup because of this, yes it happened to her and she did not realize that the blanket was still left in him. They rushed him to the vet and he went through surgery to remove it before it tangled in his intestines... but they still lost him to infection.)
    Nessa
    Last edited by chul3l3ies1126; 11-25-2008 at 10:02 AM.

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brooklin, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    Yes...He threw up stuffing from the blanket all evening. He seems to be acting normal this morning..Wanting to eat and acting lively. I have only given him two small portions of rice and chicken broth since the vomiting stopped.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    193

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    Yes, my puppy ate a zipper two nights ago and threw up 4 times throughout the night. After he threw it up, he was as happy as a lark.

  6. #5
    Senior Member chul3l3ies1126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deep South Tx
    Posts
    4,135

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    Do you know exactly how much he ate of the blanket?

    You really need to keep an eye on him especially because he is so young. Trust me, I know the horrors of this... I've worked with 2 veterinarians in the past and the number one killer of puppies that we had seen was Ingestion of foreign objects. Its a very dangerous thing. Please keep an eye on him... and since he is a pup he should be having regular check ups at the vet... so mention it the next time you go in.
    Nessa

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brooklin, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    I will watch him very closely for the next few hours/days

    Steph

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,895

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    My puppy has ate the padding in his crate and did the same thing I just called the vet let them know what happened. Also how the dog was now acting just to see what they suggested because the dog was so young. You might want to just give them a call.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Bailey08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    322

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    I really think it's a good idea to call the vet.

    Also, you've probably realized this -- put nothing in his crate that would be dangerous if ingested, including blankets and towels. Stick to Kongs and similar toys. Nylabones are okay, but he should not be given the puppy Nylabones anymore when he starts to get his adult teeth. Stuffies, beds, and blankets only when he can be supervised until you can be sure that he won't destroy/eat them.

    Ugh, I'm sorry this happened. It would scare the hell out of me.
    Happy Happy Happy

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    southwest florida
    Posts
    390

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    I had a dog chew on carpet and ingest it. It got all the way to the intestines and got stuck, causing a block. We were in vacation in michigan and family in florida was watching him.

    He had to go into surgery immediately.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brooklin, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: My Puppy Ate His Blanket

    My mom calls Hershey the "Vaccum Cleaner" now I know why!!!!

  12. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.