Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 108

Thread: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

  1. #81
    Senior Member Kyllobernese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,233

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Daisy dogs sound a lot like what they sell as Mi-Ki dogs. They sound like much the same mix and no two of them look the same.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #82
    Senior Member RabbleFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    My grandmother has a Daisy Dog. Presumably from this "breeder".

    Its a really, really nice dog. Very sweet. Very caring. Very cuddly. Easy keeper as far as exercise requirements. Not potty trained, though. And don't say I didn't try. She hasn't had any health defects or issues with her patellas, hips, or eyes. But thats probably luck of the draw.

    Not completely sure why people invest in such a dog when you could easily adopt something extremely similar in a shelter OR get a responsibly bred small, fluffy "non-shedder".

    UKC Ch Ratitatt's Warp Speed, "Merlin"
    AKC Wyntr Cardigan's Fire The Arrow, "Eren"
    AKC Countrywood's Pepper Brenen, "Pepper"

  4. #83
    Senior Member ThoseWordsAtBest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Posts
    10,815

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    I actually PMed with the OP for a while and had set her up with a dog at my shelter, but unfortunately she couldn't make it due to weather the day of and has since not contacted me again. Hopefully she found a dog.

  5. #84
    Senior Member RabbleFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
    I actually PMed with the OP for a while and had set her up with a dog at my shelter, but unfortunately she couldn't make it due to weather the day of and has since not contacted me again. Hopefully she found a dog.
    Did you trade your dogs in for Daisy Dogs in the meantime?

    UKC Ch Ratitatt's Warp Speed, "Merlin"
    AKC Wyntr Cardigan's Fire The Arrow, "Eren"
    AKC Countrywood's Pepper Brenen, "Pepper"

  6. #85
    Senior Member ThoseWordsAtBest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Posts
    10,815

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Like Sham has any trading value.

  7. #86
    Senior Member RabbleFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
    Like Sham has any trading value.
    He's worth ALL THE DAISY DOGS!

    UKC Ch Ratitatt's Warp Speed, "Merlin"
    AKC Wyntr Cardigan's Fire The Arrow, "Eren"
    AKC Countrywood's Pepper Brenen, "Pepper"

  8. #87
    Senior Member luv mi pets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    somewhere, midwest
    Posts
    2,372

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
    Like Sham has any trading value.
    Oh poor Sham I hope he did not hear you type those words.
    I would try therapy but the couch was full!

  9. #88
    Senior Member ThoseWordsAtBest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Posts
    10,815

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    That is no where near the worst thing I've said to him today.

  10. #89
    Senior Member luv mi pets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    somewhere, midwest
    Posts
    2,372

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Oh poor, poor Shams. Have Smalls and Jonas put a tongue in your ears so you do not have to listen to such words. How can you say such things to such a sweet innocent dog that is right now looking at me from your signature with such sad eyes.


    let me guess! The same way I kept telling my dogs to knock it off because they thought the siding men were burglars breaking into our house. And more coming tomorrow when they come back to finish. Yippee.
    I would try therapy but the couch was full!

  11. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    157

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIsAWeim View Post
    What in the world is a daisy dog?

  12. #91
    Senior Member Effisia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    432

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggle View Post
    Oh man, that face! I can just hear that dog saying "Why? No, seriously, why?"
    "It was many and many a year ago, in a kingdom by the sea, that a maiden there lived whom you may know by the name of Annabel Lee; and this maiden she lived with no other thought than to love and be loved by me." - Edgar Allan Poe

  13. #92
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by aiw View Post
    Obviously they meant hands on experience of dogs you'll never be able to see or know anything about due to breeder secrecy.

    Hands on experience of the untested, unproven, unknown mix of a fluffy puppy that arrives at your door. You can even confirm that it is in fact fluffy and a puppy! What more could you want?
    I would say that over 20 years of experience, countless testimonials, a five year genetic health guarantee and very happy families qualifies for valid "hands on experience." The very fact that puppy mills got active in these designer dogs is the reason Jennifer Peterson practices "breeder secrecy".Too many untested unqualified breeders are duping the public with these concocted breeds with no experience or qualifications. Her breeding stock is on her farms and we walked right past them over 4 years ago when we were on site. Jennifer Peterson is also very particular about where her pups go. As mentioned before , two local vets( and not in Grand Rapids or anywhere near there) that I questioned said they have many clients with Daisy Dogs and have nothing but compliments about the quality of the dogs. I have had 4 Yorkshire terriers in the past , all came with papers galore, lots of verbal marketing and great lineage. The information on where to adopt came from local Yorkshire terrier clubs. One died in 2 weeks and the other developed a genetic kidney disorder. The point of my continued response is the unfair treatment of a breeder based on your personal platform. And as far as I know, all dogs currently recognized by a given breed name started out as a mutt somewhere.

  14. #93
    aiw
    aiw is offline
    Senior Member aiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,111

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by baileyboo22 View Post
    I would say that over 20 years of experience, countless testimonials, a five year genetic health guarantee and very happy families qualifies for valid "hands on experience."
    So you personally have handled these dogs for 20 years? Because as you say, if you haven't you really haven't the ability to judge. You're not saying anything new here, you just read the website same as us. If she wants to be regarded by the public as a responsible breeder she should show evidence of responsible breeding practices. She hasn't, and anonymous protests over the internet don't change that.

    The very fact that puppy mills got active in these designer dogs is the reason Jennifer Peterson practices "breeder secrecy".Too many untested unqualified breeders are duping the public with these concocted breeds with no experience or qualifications.
    The irony is just too much. Showing, proving in some manner at the very least health testing. These are breeder basics. Can't get any more untested and unqualified than that.

    Looks she can do as she pleases, I don't think any of us are planning on showing up with pickets. But dogs with no health testing, no show history, not proven in *any* activity, not proven sound in any manner, of unknown breed mix and unknown ancestry.

    No. That is not responsible.
    Last edited by aiw; 10-09-2013 at 08:53 AM.

  15. #94
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by aiw View Post
    So you personally have handled these dogs for 20 years? Because as you say, if you haven't you really haven't the ability to judge. You're not saying anything new here, you just read the website same as us. If she wants to be regarded by the public as a responsible breeder she should show evidence of responsible breeding practices. She hasn't, and anonymous protests over the internet don't change that.



    The irony is just too much. Showing, proving in some manner at the very least health testing. These are breeder basics. Can't get any more untested and unqualified than that.

    Looks she can do as she pleases, I don't think any of us are planning on showing up with pickets. But dogs with no health testing, no show history, not proven in *any* activity, not proven sound in any manner, of unknown breed mix and unknown ancestry.

    No. That is not responsible.
    The sales contract states , in case of death of your pup before 5 years ,that the definitive cause of death will be determined by Michigan State University Vet School of Medicine( a premier school for vets I might add.). I would suggest that validation offers a high degree of confidence in your pup and your breeding ancestry. I , personally, view that as a sign of breeder responsibility.

    Also, if you actually read what I said I did not express that I have 20 experience with these dogs. But other dogs I have had came with all the hoopla, show title lineage,investigation, local club references and some still had health issues, and died as a result. A dog does not have to be proven in "anything" to be a very good quality healthy animal.

    There is nothing anonymous about these postings. There is no irony in her philosophy. If you have a successful formula you probably are not going to share or reveal it with people who only are in it for the buck.And I am not suggesting I am saying anything new to this forum nor did I just read the website. As an owner of one of these dogs I can speak from personal experience. I did my homework, called vets, talked with customers and I am pleased with the results. My defense is because I do not agree with your opinion.I am not questioning your credentials nor do I care. A personal opinion can be damaging and not very productive and many times misleading.

    Forums and blogs are like big coffee klatches.....or a reality show. While they can be a good source of support and information we must all remember that a huge number of response are just opinions. Shouting the loudest and the the number of posts does not make an expert.
    Last edited by baileyboo22; 10-09-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: sp

  16. #95
    Senior Member RabbleFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by baileyboo22 View Post
    The sales contract states , in case of death of your pup before 5 years ,that the definitive cause of death will be determined by Michigan State University Vet School of Medicine( a premier school for vets I might add.). I would suggest that validation offers a high degree of confidence in your pup and your breeding ancestry. I , personally, view that as a sign of breeder responsibility.

    Also, if you actually read what I said I did not express that I have 20 experience with these dogs. But other dogs I have had came with all the hoopla, show title lineage,investigation, local club references and some still had health issues, and died as a result. A dog does not have to be proven in "anything" to be a very good quality healthy animal.
    Ehh... just because she wants the dead dog looked over doesn't mean thats a good sign. What about dogs who end up with something that isn't life threatening but rather life altering within those 5 years? Luxating patella, hip dysplasia, heart murmurs, etc. Does the contract cover that? Those don't kill a dog. But they can be minimized or prevented using selective breeding. Without posting her studs' and bitches' test results or even saying whether she health tests, we don't know if her stock is even healthy.

    Do you know if she health tests her dogs?

    Breeding stock should be good at when they do. If they are bred to be companions, thats cool. But you can't just breed one even tempered dog to another. Momma and Daddy dog better have darn good hips and eyes. A companion dog can't be a proper companion with shot knees at age 3.

    My "show dog" has had 0 health issues. 0. Perhaps you were dealt an ugly hand of cards with your dogs. Did your previous dogs come from health tested lines?

    UKC Ch Ratitatt's Warp Speed, "Merlin"
    AKC Wyntr Cardigan's Fire The Arrow, "Eren"
    AKC Countrywood's Pepper Brenen, "Pepper"

  17. #96
    Senior Member missPenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    124

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Ughh I remember this thread... Daisy Dogs...makes me want to face palm over and over again

  18. #97
    Senior Member ThoseWordsAtBest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Posts
    10,815

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by luv mi pets View Post
    Oh poor, poor Shams. Have Smalls and Jonas put a tongue in your ears so you do not have to listen to such words. How can you say such things to such a sweet innocent dog that is right now looking at me from your signature with such sad eyes.


    let me guess! The same way I kept telling my dogs to knock it off because they thought the siding men were burglars breaking into our house. And more coming tomorrow when they come back to finish. Yippee.
    Yesterday was pick the cat up by his head day if that tells you any thing. By his head!


    Quote Originally Posted by baileyboo22 View Post
    I would say that over 20 years of experience, countless testimonials, a five year genetic health guarantee and very happy families qualifies for valid "hands on experience." The very fact that puppy mills got active in these designer dogs is the reason Jennifer Peterson practices "breeder secrecy".Too many untested unqualified breeders are duping the public with these concocted breeds with no experience or qualifications. Her breeding stock is on her farms and we walked right past them over 4 years ago when we were on site. Jennifer Peterson is also very particular about where her pups go. As mentioned before , two local vets( and not in Grand Rapids or anywhere near there) that I questioned said they have many clients with Daisy Dogs and have nothing but compliments about the quality of the dogs. I have had 4 Yorkshire terriers in the past , all came with papers galore, lots of verbal marketing and great lineage. The information on where to adopt came from local Yorkshire terrier clubs. One died in 2 weeks and the other developed a genetic kidney disorder. The point of my continued response is the unfair treatment of a breeder based on your personal platform. And as far as I know, all dogs currently recognized by a given breed name started out as a mutt somewhere.
    Rabblefox pretty much covered my response, but it sounds like you either are this breeder or you drank the koolaid hard. What qualifications are there to breed dogs? What tests do breeders take to be considered tested and qualified? Does this woman think because she created a scruffy mutt there is no way other people won't create scruffy mutts that look similar? If they're breeding true, she can't release their pedigrees now and not the dogs from her "secret recipe" before? Still sketchy, but better than nothing.

    If you saw the breeding stock, don't you now know the secret recipe? Or does she have folks sign a contract stating if they share any information they will be killed?

  19. #98
    Senior Member RabbleFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
    If you saw the breeding stock, don't you now know the secret recipe? Or does she have folks sign a contract stating if they share any information they will be killed?
    From what my grandmother has mentioned about her dog's parents, all the dogs running around her property are little fluffy mutts. No purebred Bichons or Malteses wandering around for you to identify.

    The secret is safe with the past...

    But seeing as this "secret recipe" is so important, me thinks a kill-you clause is somewhere in the purchasing contract. Look out for the fluffy little dog assassin with a knife in her paw.

    UKC Ch Ratitatt's Warp Speed, "Merlin"
    AKC Wyntr Cardigan's Fire The Arrow, "Eren"
    AKC Countrywood's Pepper Brenen, "Pepper"

  20. #99
    Senior Member sassafras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,047

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    I actually don't have a problem with someone creating a new breed if they think they can fill a niche or whatever. And honestly I don't even really care anymore if someone is intentionally breeding mixes if otherwise I think their practices are sound.

    Having said that, after 20 years I would think that daisy dogs would be starting to get relatively fixed as a breed if that was the goal from the beginning. That is, instead of continuing to make the original mixture, she should be able to breed daisy x daisy and pretty much get daisies. Otherwise, daisy dogs aren't any different than any other mixed breeding other than the name she's giving them sounding more legitimate than, say, malti-poo.

    And if they are breeding true at this point it kind of doesn't matter what went into them from a perspective of trying to recreate them. If someone says x, y, and z breeds went into developing my new dog breed, nobody else knows if there were 99% x with a dash of y and z or equal parts x, y, and z or whatever. And at some point if you want to be the only person in the world breeding your super secret breed and no one else is allowed to, then that seems like sort of a marketing/monopoly thing to me. Personally as a puppy buyer I would prefer some transparency about the breeds going into my puppy, there are certain problems that might be more or less on my radar based on breed mixture, and secrecy seems sketchy to me.

  21. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    157

    Re: Anyone bought a daisy puppy from Jennifer Peterson near Grand Rapids, MI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggle View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of dog this might this be? She/he has eyes very like my first dog, now passed away. She was very smart, very lovable. Also a pain in the bottom when she made her mind up about something, bless her heart. I can see her in this dog's eyes.
    Last edited by Doggle; 10-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.