American bulldog pitbull mix?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: American bulldog pitbull mix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Is this pup American bull dog pit bull mix? I want to purchase it but it doesn't seem like it is to me. I just want an opinion from the pros! ; )

    Thank you very much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American bulldog pitbull mix?-img_20120731_190404.jpg  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member momtolabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,901

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Doesn't look like one to me. head, ears, body9from that picture) looks off. Is that it's littermate by him? if I had to guess I would say he is a Heinz 57.


    Bentley- 4 yellow lab
    Mia-1 ACD/lab mix
    Tank-9 year old black lab

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Hello thanks for the reply! No he's just his buddy. We want to buy both of them. The other one is a mastiff Rottweiler mix. I just want to know if this one is going to stay small or not. But I really wanted a pit bull. My wife fell I'm love with the brown one. I don't think I've heard of that breed you just mentioned. Thanks! I hope it does have pit bull in her though.

  5. #4
    Senior Member momtolabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,901

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    heinz 57 is a whole bunch of dog breeds in one dog(I own one ) If I had to guess I would say pointer/hound/ something something. But I could be completely wrong Do you have a side pic of him? he could have some pit bull in him but right now I am not seeing it.


    Bentley- 4 yellow lab
    Mia-1 ACD/lab mix
    Tank-9 year old black lab

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    I see...let me see if I can post one up! I'm doing this with my phone!

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Thanks for the info by the way! I forgot to thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American bulldog pitbull mix?-img_20120731_190355.jpg   American bulldog pitbull mix?-img_20120731_190351.jpg  

  8. #7
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,836

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by sblanco87 View Post
    Hello thanks for the reply! No he's just his buddy. We want to buy both of them. The other one is a mastiff Rottweiler mix. I just want to know if this one is going to stay small or not. But I really wanted a pit bull. My wife fell I'm love with the brown one. I don't think I've heard of that breed you just mentioned. Thanks! I hope it does have pit bull in her though.
    I don't see Rottie or Mastiff in the brown one and I don't really see much pit bull in the white one. I'd say they are both "mixes of mixes" with possibly some bully breed in there.

    They are about the same size now, if they are the same age, they will likely mature to be about the same size. Very hard to guess not knowing age and weight now. "Pit bulls" in the loose sense of the term to include pit type mixes or dogs that appear to be pit bulls can range in weight pretty widely, from petite 35 lbs females to beefy 70 lbs males.

    But do you know how difficult it is to raise two pups together and do it right? You are taking about a massive time commitment, as each will need a significant amount of time away from the other with individual walks, individual training and individual attention. Google "littermate syndrome" and search it on this site for more discussions.
    Pit bulls are high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise, attention and training. They tend to be velcro dogs and want to spend ALL their time glued to your side- which if you are trying to train/exercise the dogs separately to prevent problems, is an issue.

    Additionally, those breeds (at least the breeds you are being told are in these dogs) are commonly banned breeds in apartment complexes and rental homes plus many insurance companies won't insure them. They are great breeds, I'm strictly speaking on a logistical or practical concern that cannot be overlooked. I do pit bull rescue and it is every day that the rescue is getting emails and calls from people asking us to re-home their dogs because of housing concerns (or the "I'm moving to Denver where there is a breed ban, can you take my pit?" ARGH!!!)

    Are you considering "buying" these dogs? Is this someone breeding them or rehoming them or what?

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    I would say they have some type of gaming breed in the white one. Like a GSHP( german short haired pointer) or a spaniel ( at least partially ) the ears the coloring. Could be pit but then again if something is mixed with a GSHP then they may have a similar head especially if mixed up a lot. but GSHP usually have a more solid colored face but if its mixed up a lot who knows what would happen!? lol those may be some of the breeds in his genes.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Amaryllis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,814

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Additionally, those breeds (at least the breeds you are being told are in these dogs) are commonly banned breeds in apartment complexes and rental homes plus many insurance companies won't insure them.
    Please don't underestimate this. I was looking at apartments in Virginia. Every single complex allowed two dogs, no size limit, no breed limit EXCEPT no pit bulls. It's the same in PA. Lots of apartments allow dogs, just not pit bulls. Rottweilers are another commonly banned breed.
    http://www.dogforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic46986_1.gif

  11. #10
    Senior Member valuta8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Warrenton, Virginia
    Posts
    163

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    That looks like an American Fox Hound mixed with ome spaniel and GSHP to me judging by the snout, head and ear set. (: Probably a lot more than just that though... Heinz 57 like momtolabs said above.

  12. #11
    Senior Member valuta8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Warrenton, Virginia
    Posts
    163

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    I don't see Rottie or Mastiff in the brown one and I don't really see much pit bull in the white one. I'd say they are both "mixes of mixes" with possibly some bully breed in there.

    They are about the same size now, if they are the same age, they will likely mature to be about the same size. Very hard to guess not knowing age and weight now. "Pit bulls" in the loose sense of the term to include pit type mixes or dogs that appear to be pit bulls can range in weight pretty widely, from petite 35 lbs females to beefy 70 lbs males.

    But do you know how difficult it is to raise two pups together and do it right? You are taking about a massive time commitment, as each will need a significant amount of time away from the other with individual walks, individual training and individual attention. Google "littermate syndrome" and search it on this site for more discussions.
    Pit bulls are high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise, attention and training. They tend to be velcro dogs and want to spend ALL their time glued to your side- which if you are trying to train/exercise the dogs separately to prevent problems, is an issue.

    Additionally, those breeds (at least the breeds you are being told are in these dogs) are commonly banned breeds in apartment complexes and rental homes plus many insurance companies won't insure them. They are great breeds, I'm strictly speaking on a logistical or practical concern that cannot be overlooked. I do pit bull rescue and it is every day that the rescue is getting emails and calls from people asking us to re-home their dogs because of housing concerns (or the "I'm moving to Denver where there is a breed ban, can you take my pit?" ARGH!!!)

    Are you considering "buying" these dogs? Is this someone breeding them or rehoming them or what?
    I could *not* agree more Shell. It's a lot or responibility these people are taking on, and it may not be the best suit for them. If they just want some dogs to laze around the house with get an ETS (English Toy Spaniel) or like a Japanese Chin or something like that. You want the right dog to fit /your/ life style.

  13. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Thanks for the information I will look into it! I'm looking into rehoming them. They are both females by the way I know I said him earlier..oops! I live in CA and from what I know I see pits all around all the time. Thank you again for you opinion about the dog breeds and about the litter mate problem! I just want the dogs to have company when I'm not there at times. I work a regular job so its not like I won't have time for them.

  14. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    We are active and plan on being active with our dog(s)

    Interesting...thanks!!!
    Last edited by sblanco87; 08-01-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #14
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,836

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by sblanco87 View Post
    Thanks for the information I will look into it! I'm looking into rehoming them. They are both females by the way I know I said him earlier..oops! I live in CA and from what I know I see pits all around all the time. Thank you again for you opinion about the dog breeds and about the litter mate problem! I just want the dogs to have company when I'm not there at times. I work a regular job so its not like I won't have time for them.
    It is generally regarded as unsafe to leave two dogs alone (and loose) together unsupervised. Especially two females from breeds that may be prone to dog aggression; but leaving dog aggression aside, even normally friendly dogs can get into fights or "spats" which if you are present you can easily break up with a few words or grabbing a leash but if you are not present, may escalate into serious violence.
    Heck, even when they are having fun they can get so riled up they destroy furniture etc with their chasing and wrestling. With puppies, even one dog alone should be contained safely within a crate or playpen so prevent them from chewing something dangerous. (And IMO, pits are BIG chewers...right through drywall, door frames, flooring etc so anything less than a good crate isn't safe for a puppy or young one)

    We are active and plan on being active with our dog(s)

    Interesting...thanks!!!
    I was not implying that you didn't plan to be active, simply trying to underscore the sheer amount of TIME needed for two young dogs. Right now I have my (trained, 5 yr old male) dog and one (somewhat trained, 2 yr old female) pit bull foster. Here's a typical day.... morning walk 30 minutes to 1 hour, all day at work, evening walk 1 hour, evening playing SUPERVISED in the yard 1-2 hours, time spent trying to keep them from tearing up the living room with their rambunctious play= the rest of the waking hours. At 9:30 pm last night, they were rolling around and trying to play on the dog bed because they still had energy left! Now, that's with two dogs that I can walk together and don't require significant "separate" time to train well or prevent bonding problems. If I were dealing with puppies, it would be more time consuming.

  16. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: American bulldog pitbull mix?

    Thank you for that bit of info. It really helps!

  17. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: guess

    Turns out that the black and white one got sent back to her mom because she wasn't feeling that well. Now, can anyone try to guess the brown ones breed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American bulldog pitbull mix?-img_20120731_190401.jpg   American bulldog pitbull mix?-img_20120731_190358.jpg   American bulldog pitbull mix?-img_20120731_190355.jpg  

  18. #17
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,836

    Re: guess

    Hound mix.

    sent back to mom because she wasn't well? None of this is sounding very good at all- how old are they, have they started vaccinations yet?

  19. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: guess

    Yes, this is what I was told when I asked about her yesterday. It seems like the sellers gave her back to the previous owners before them. I believe they are 10 and 11 weeks old. When I asked about their shots they said they just had the deworm and that's it.

  20. #19
    Senior Member Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,836

    Re: guess

    My opinion is that this is a very shady "seller" and if you want the dog, fine, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay a dime to the seller.

    the dogs should have had a one or two rounds of vaccinations depending on their exact age, if they are taking them out and about, they are being exposed to things like parvo and distemper. I would be wondering what the other pup came down with, given that incubation periods can be up to several weeks.

    That dog is cute but is basically the kind of dog that ends up in shelters by the thousands- a generic muttly mix. I see nothing wrong with getting the dog, but I wouldn't want to financially support this kind of seller. Some might argue that the dog would just end up in a shelter anyway and one would pay for it then, but at least the money wouldn't be a motivator to obtain (second hand?) more pups to sell irresponsibly.

  21. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: guess

    Very true. It seems more of a lack of responsibility than a shady seller to me. According to him the pups were for him and his daughters to keep. The landlord told him he needed to get rid of them and hence him selling the pups. He did contact me trying to milk us for more money saying that someone else wanted to buy her. We told him we wouldn't pay more then he said OK he will sell it to us because he knows we will take care of it.

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.