Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Question Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Deleting this thread
    Last edited by ccalvin901; 04-23-2012 at 04:12 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,254

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    If you can't trust the breeder you chose to buy from I don't know what to tell you. And a 5-week-old pup is WAY to young to be away from his mother and littermates. I don't think this is a good situation at all.

    But, for whatever it's worth, the father looks like your basic "pit bull type" dog. Probably not a registered APBT (OK, certainly not, at 100 pounds), but what can you expect from a breeder that sells a pup at 5 weeks? He may have some AB mixed in, I think it's a fairly common mix.

  4. #3
    Senior Member sscott87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fort Hood, TX
    Posts
    259

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    With the above already stated, it doesn't mean you're destined to have a horrible puppy, but for the best interests of both you and the pup, you should definitely dig in deeper and research and look to see what you can do as far as helping the pup develop. I can't tell you much more than the above that Willowy has already said, but there are people on here who can and sources to direct you to. There are good reasons why 8 weeks is generally the accepted answer as to the earliest that you want to take a puppy from its mother and siblings. There are behaviors, such as bite inhibition as the most well-known, that he very likely hasn't really learned yet that puppies learn around that age and the following weeks. My only additional comment on that entire topic simply goes along with the breeder remark already stated by Willowy, but if you can't trust the breeder or have not researched to find that the breeder is indeed reliable, then I hope you did not pay a large amount with high expectations.

    Regardless, cute puppy, but I can't honestly say from the pictures whether they are full AB or not. While they definitely aren't purely pit...I don't know, but I can see why you are at least questioning it lol

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Thanks for the advice but that wasnt my question. I am very advanced when it comes to puppies and i took him home early because i took him to the vet for just a check up and parvo shot and he ended up having worms. so if i would have taken him back to his mom he would have got it again. so i took him home and him nurse with another pitbull family that i have at home with pitbull puppies his same age. And the breeder i got him from is not a bad breeder and neither is he the best. but what i can say he has gorgeous dogs. He just hasnt put in the money he needs to as fare as paper work but his dogs are gorgeous. Im taking care of him like no other so the breeder conversation is irrelevant. I just want to know what people think about him being pitbull or american bulldog. his bloodline has been kept tight for 3 generations. his dad is also his brother. he is the 3rd litter of pups from his mother. his dad came from his mom's first litter of pups. Im thinking he is American Bull Mix With Pitbull Or Maybe Full Pitbull...this is the advice i need

  6. #5
    Senior Member Rescued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Similar breeds. I think your puppy is a mutt, and somewhere in between the two breeds- if you don't buy from a breeder that registers their dogs (and sometimes even if they do) you cannot say with certainty what the puppy is.

  7. #6
    Senior Member animalcraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,211

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    I'm confused about his pedigree and his dad also being his brother? You said
    his dad came from his mom's first litter of pups.
    Does that mean your breeder did a mother to son breeding to produce your pup?

    As far as what his breed is I would say he is what he was sold to you as. As long as you love and enjoy him then that's all that really matters anyways.

    Is there a particular reason you want to know his breed (i.e. Insurance or breeding) or are you just curious about what breed we think he is?

    Everybody's got a laughin' place; trouble is most folks won't take the time to go find it.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,254

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    An inbred 5-week-old pup? Lovely.

    Anyway, if you know his bloodlines have been "kept tight" you should what breed they are. Pit bulls aren't supposed to be 100 pounds so there must be something mixed in, but the breeder ought to know what he's breeding if, as you say, he's not a bad breeder.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Rescued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by animalcraker View Post
    I'm confused about his pedigree and his dad also being his brother? You said Does that mean your breeder did a mother to son breeding to produce your pup?
    I literally just tried to diagram this and can't figure out how its possible.

    Wait I got it. Goodness gracious I dont even want to know what the COI of that litter was.

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog ...Go to this link and go all the way down to the bottom and look at the american bulldog puppy picture..this puppy and any other american bulldog puppy looks identical to mines but different colors...my uncle is a former breeder of johnson american bulldogs and he says that the dad for sure american bulldog from the looks...so i am just curious..regardless i know for sure this dog will turn out bad ass because his dad and all the previous puppies from this same family have turned out to be some of the best working dogs i have seen...so i got him not caring if he is mixed or not...the question is what if hes full pitbull..that will mean he has basically created his own bloodline..my pup was 5 pound at 5 weeks old...way bigger then any pitbull will ever be...these dogs are massive in size..that is why i was wondering if there is american bulldog somewhere down the line because pitbulls rarely get 100+pounds

  11. #10
    Senior Member Rescued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by ccalvin901 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog ...Go to this link and go all the way down to the bottom and look at the american bulldog puppy picture..this puppy and any other american bulldog puppy looks identical to mines but different colors...my uncle is a former breeder of johnson american bulldogs and he says that the dad for sure american bulldog from the looks...so i am just curious..regardless i know for sure this dog will turn out bad ass because his dad and all the previous puppies from this same family have turned out to be some of the best working dogs i have seen...so i got him not caring if he is mixed or not...the question is what if hes full pitbull..that will mean he has basically created his own bloodline..my pup was 5 pound at 5 weeks old...way bigger then any pitbull will ever be...these dogs are massive in size..that is why i was wondering if there is american bulldog somewhere down the line because pitbulls rarely get 100+pounds
    I think you forgot the link.

    Weird. NVM!

  12. #11
    Senior Member Rescued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by ccalvin901 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog ...Go to this link and go all the way down to the bottom and look at the american bulldog puppy picture..this puppy and any other american bulldog puppy looks identical to mines but different colors...my uncle is a former breeder of johnson american bulldogs and he says that the dad for sure american bulldog from the looks...so i am just curious..regardless i know for sure this dog will turn out bad ass because his dad and all the previous puppies from this same family have turned out to be some of the best working dogs i have seen...so i got him not caring if he is mixed or not...the question is what if hes full pitbull..that will mean he has basically created his own bloodline..my pup was 5 pound at 5 weeks old...way bigger then any pitbull will ever be...these dogs are massive in size..that is why i was wondering if there is american bulldog somewhere down the line because pitbulls rarely get 100+pounds
    Wait, so you know the sire is a purebred AmBulldog. That would therefore make it impossible for your puppy to be a purebred Pit. Am I missing something?

  13. #12
    Senior Member HollowHeaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    DeepDark Kentucky
    Posts
    4,943

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
    An inbred 5-week-old pup? Lovely.
    Yurrrp.
    lordamercy.
    Mother and Maid to Eight Little Lovelys
    Diesel, Aleu, Troubles, Draevyn, Lumos, Killian, Annbelle Wee & Amalie


    Forever in my heart ~*Kalabar & Cassius; Binx & Saoirse Sinclair & Mordecai*~
    "Even-tempered at home but an aggressive hunter. Amenable to formal training. A good family dog that likes to please."
    The Redbone Coonhound, defined by the AKC.


  14. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Let me brake it all the way down. The person i got the pup from is not a breeder looking to make money. He has a lot of bad ass pitbulls and he simply has them because he loves the dogs. He hasnt tried registering any of his big boys because he simply is not looking to make money..he just keep them fed, socialized, trained, and "big"..i dont care if the dog is mixed or not because i know for a fact how he will turn out..i am just curious that maybe he actually has american bulldog and not pitbull but doesnt know...and breeding mother and son is perfectly fine...that is how you produce tri-color pitbulls because both carry the same recessive gene....breeding brother and sister from the same litter is were the problem is and this is not the case...

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,254

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    YOU think breeding mother to son is "perfectly fine". A lot of people here don't. And letting pups go at 5 weeks is never OK.

    And registering is not about making money. It's about having a database of pedigrees so people don't have to guess about their dog's heritage.

  16. #15
    Senior Member HollowHeaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    DeepDark Kentucky
    Posts
    4,943

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    LOL
    Goodnight, forum. See you tomorrow.
    Mother and Maid to Eight Little Lovelys
    Diesel, Aleu, Troubles, Draevyn, Lumos, Killian, Annbelle Wee & Amalie


    Forever in my heart ~*Kalabar & Cassius; Binx & Saoirse Sinclair & Mordecai*~
    "Even-tempered at home but an aggressive hunter. Amenable to formal training. A good family dog that likes to please."
    The Redbone Coonhound, defined by the AKC.


  17. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by willowy View Post
    you think breeding mother to son is "perfectly fine". A lot of people here don't. And letting pups go at 5 weeks is never ok.
    read my 1st response!

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,254

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by ccalvin901 View Post
    read my 1st response!
    Yeah. . .you said he was neglecting his dogs (or implied as much). And then you said he's not a bad breeder. Hmm.

  19. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    Quote Originally Posted by willowy View Post
    yeah. . .you said he was neglecting his dogs (or implied as much). And then you said he's not a bad breeder. Hmm.
    i never said anything like neglecting. I said he hasnt registered any of his big dogs...but if your not looking to make money of them there isnt a need to do so...but the dogs are well taking care of...you cant get a 100+pound ,socialized, trained dog like that and its neglected lol...but let me ask you a question...what do you feed your dog??

  20. #19
    Senior Member begemot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    517

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    It sounds like you really want the puppy to be an American Bulldog, for whatever reason... but actually have no reason to think he's anything other than a mutt.

    You can't really tell people not to comment about the puppy being only 5 weeks old and separated from the litter. You don't have the authority to censor people.

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,254

    Re: Is my puppy american bulldog or pitbull??

    You said the pup couldn't go back to the litter due to untreated worms. Which sounds like neglect. It was your excuse not mine. If the dogs were not being neglected you could have returned him to his mother to complete his development. So. . .

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.