Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90

Thread: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,239

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    I feel like I'm seeing more and more people refer to their dog as a "Dotson" - it's happened easily more than 10 times in the last year alone. It makes me giggle more than the others.
    Hehe, not too long ago, I asked my dad "hey, you guys had a Datsun before I was born, right?", and he said "no, we never had a dog before Willow" . But saying it and spelling it are different things, I hope people don't think their dog is named after a car (or vice versa).

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Member emilie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    59

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    english isint my first language, no one ever taught me how to spell or make correct sentences in english so i give my self permision to make mistakes because i try very hard lol and the damn spell check doesnt work i tried downloading it but failed lol.

    but i do understand all of you when you say its annoying because when people try to write things in french and dont get it i get iratated :P

  4. #43
    Senior Member Crantastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Posts
    6,089

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Misspellings in general bother me, but I can let it go when someone's mentioning a breed they don't know much about. However, I think that if a person either owns a breed or is researching it because they plan to buy a dog of that breed, they should certainly know how to spell it. I can't even count the number of "shitzues" and "chiwawas" and "german shepards" I see on the local classified site here.

    Edit: Haha, went to look, and the very first ad in the dog section included this line: "Mother is Shih-Poo and Father Is Shiz_tzu." Other ads mention "Shihzu," "shitzu," "part shitztu part shelty," "Rotweiller," "dacshund/ bulldog," and "Pomenarian-Terrier Mix."
    Last edited by Crantastic; 09-12-2011 at 08:06 PM.

    Crystal the Papillon and Casper the Alaskan Klee Kai

  5. #44
    Senior Member Spicy1_VV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pitville USA
    Posts
    4,668

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    It happens in many breeds. You'd think two little words like pit bull would be easy but nope. Pitbull Pitt bull pittbull also terrior or terriar

    The same is done with lines too boodro,budro, bolia, carvino; humphell....

    Drives me crazy

  6. #45
    Senior Member osdbmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    871

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by Porphyria View Post
    It's so true! Other (easy) words people never seem to spell correctly are definitely (not "definately") and genius (not "genious"). I'm a bit of a spelling/grammar nazi, but it comes with the territory--I'm working on an MA in English and hope to find work proofreading/copyediting. That said, I often post from my phone and swype sucks beyond all reason so I do have spelling mistakes from time to time, and because I'm a grammar stickler, it's super embarrassing!
    Im giggling to myself here....I am the same way. The worst? people who spell their childrens names with letters that do not come close to making the correct sounds. Locally, I know a "Zipporah" pronounced "Zefra", a "Taliyga" pronounced "Talaysha", and a "KY'luv" pronounced "Kay-love". You cannot change established rules of sounds of letters just to make an unusual name.

    Last year I was in English 101, and on the first day, our professor passed around a list of commonly confused synonyms. I thought it was a joke....it wasn't. These people honestly did not know the difference between "two" and "too".

    There is a great book called "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" that I find very entertaining

  7. #46
    Senior Member lucidity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Oh, one more thing... what about people using apostrophes where they don't belong! I don't understand how hard it is. "There are lots of cars", not "there are lot's of car's". And "it's" vs. "its".

    I wonder what kids learn in school these days.. you'd think that making these sorts of spelling mistakes in homework etc. would've alerted them to the fact that they're spelling horribly? I mean.. I was born and raised in a country where English isn't even an official language. Yet I learned English pretty well through lots of reading.

    Today I saw a breeder's ad... Let me copy and paste it for you... We show our dogs regularey with reasnoble sesses for 7 years.
    It seriously took me a couple of minutes to decipher that piece of information.
    Lucidity's Papillons & Cavaliers

  8. #47
    Senior Member Abbylynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio in Nomansland
    Posts
    13,000

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Fifty years ago we were taught to think about the spelling of words like this: "Shep" is tending the "herd." = "Shepherd"


    ~While you were busy judging others your closet door came open and a lot of skeletons fell out.~

  9. #48
    Senior Member Meshkenet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    954

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    I'm not a native English speaker, and it still irks me to no end to see how people who supposedly speak the language every day can butcher it on the Internet. Honestly, I see more basic spelling and usage mistakes on forums than I do correcting my students' work.

    My personal top annoyances: its vs it's, overuse of "like", -edly ending written -adly (supposadly, for example), too vs two of course, no capitalizing I, complete absence of punctuation.

    then again, my ESL students make very nice mistakes: "I'd like to move to Mexico because the climax is hotter" or "it was dark so I put in a new blister" are two of my favourites. (I guess it's only funny if you know that, in French, the word "ampoule" can describe a lightbulb as well as a blister).

  10. #49
    Senior Member Abbylynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio in Nomansland
    Posts
    13,000

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by Meshkenet View Post
    I'm not a native English speaker, and it still irks me to no end to see how people who supposedly speak the language every day can butcher it on the Internet. Honestly, I see more basic spelling and usage mistakes on forums than I do correcting my students' work.

    My personal top annoyances: its vs it's, overuse of "like", -edly ending written -adly (supposadly, for example), too vs two of course, no capitalizing I, complete absence of punctuation.

    then again, my ESL students make very nice mistakes: "I'd like to move to Mexico because the climax is hotter" or "it was dark so I put in a new blister" are two of my favourites. (I guess it's only funny if you know that, in French, the word "ampoule" can describe a lightbulb as well as a blister).
    Clearly the lightbulb is not illuminated in some instances. Forgive me!? ( not intended for anyone here!)


    ~While you were busy judging others your closet door came open and a lot of skeletons fell out.~

  11. #50
    Senior Member InkedMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,651

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    I work at a Subway sandwich shop, in Laconia, NH. The local high school has the
    same name. Someone applied for a job yesterday. It was bad enough that she put down no references, only did one of the three math problems but she spelled the town she lives in and school Lacinia. Pretty sure her application will go directly in the trash.

  12. #51
    Senior Member Purley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    366

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    You just have to go on those free boards such as Kijijito see all the strange ways people spell dog breeds. I saw one for a "rechreever" once. It took me a while to figure out it was a Retriever. I guess they missed the year at school where they dealt with spelling and "rechreever" was how they said the word!

  13. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada. Birthplace ___ Northern Alberta.
    Posts
    1,779

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    I'm totally immune. I worked with students with difficulties soooo much greater than to have had to worry about their spelling that I just don't get why spelling mistakes annoy people. We celebrated when they understood the concepts.

    . . . . I just couldn't imagine being bothered by someone else's spelling or grammar mistakes. I really don't get it . . . which makes this an interesting thread to read. LOLd a couple of times especially as I'm absoloooootely sure I often spell definately and genious <- just like that. They are more attractive words that way. IMHO

    SOB
    Last edited by spanielorbust; 09-16-2011 at 04:04 PM.

  14. #53
    Senior Member Trillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    533

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Now I feel really bad...I know I have problems spelling, stemming from mental issues. I mean, I speak extremely well and am very eloquent most of the time, spelling/typeing however is a completely different story. It's actually quiet embarrasing for me to misspell simple words...especially since English is my primary language...sorry if any of my posts are horrible...

  15. #54
    Senior Member Avie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,537

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    I'm not a native English speaker so I'm sure I'll make some pretty stupid and/or basic mistakes, like wrong word order in sentences and sometimes when I'm tired, I'm sure I mix up 'there' with 'their'... Sometimes I catch myself in time because I tend to read my posts over multiple times to check if there aren't any errors, but since I'm not a native speaker, I do overlook some things.

    Nevertheless, I really am aiming to spell as correctly as possible, as I also try to do with my own native language, Dutch. (which isn't the easiest... what was it again, top ten most difficult languages? Among Chinese, Arabian, etcetera, there's also... Dutch.)

    Anyway, you'll find misspellings of dog breeds in any language, and people who are bothered by it in any country. Most common misspelling here is chihuahua, spelled as sjiewawa, chiwawa, shihauhau, chiuaua, you name it, it has been done.
    We don't have a problem with the GSD, but that's due to our grammar. 'Duitse Herdershond' is pretty easy to remember and spell, literally translating to 'German Shepherd's-dog...
    Dutch people have trouble spelling 'shepherd' too though, as mistakes with the name Shiloh Shepherd show since that name is unaltered in Dutch. Shepard, shephard, shepperd, sheperd...

    I myself don't have trouble with it. The way I think: 'shepherd' comes from 'sheep' and 'herd', the herding of sheep. So you could see it as a 'sheep-herd-dog'. Scratch one 'e' and you've got Shepherd.

  16. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,239

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by spanielorbust View Post
    I'm totally immune. I worked with students with difficulties soooo much greater than to have had to worry about their spelling that I just don't get why spelling mistakes annoy people. We celebrated when they understood the concepts.

    . . . . I just couldn't imagine being bothered by someone else's spelling or grammar mistakes. I really don't get it . . . which makes this an interesting thread to read. LOLd a couple of times especially as I'm absoloooootely sure I often spell definately and genious <- just like that. They are more attractive words that way. IMHO

    SOB
    I can understand some spelling errors. Some things are hard to spell. Especially for non-native English speakers. . .English is a ridiculous language sometimes. But there's a reason for standardized spelling---or else we would have to go back to how it was in the 1700s, everybody spelling the way they thought it sounded, and everybody else trying to wrack their brains to figure out what they were trying to say. It takes too long to read something that's very badly spelled. Trying to read the Lewis and Clark logs can give me a headache. I like having standardized spelling . I don't think people should too uptight over minor spelling errors, but if it's spelled so badly that it's hard to read, that gets old real fast.

  17. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    "Lost Wages", NV
    Posts
    730

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by spanielorbust View Post
    I

    . . . . I just couldn't imagine being bothered by someone else's spelling or grammar mistakes. I really don't get it . . . which makes this an interesting thread to read.
    Everyone makes mistakes. It's quite daunting of a language with some funny looking words, odd consonants, and lots of punctuation's (as corrected by spell check...but that looks almost off to me. Confusing!). When I'm just in off mode and trying to bust out a quick post I am less careful and make small mistakes. I think a lot of us are susceptible to that when we are just on our "off" mode. I go on here to just zone out a bit, usually when I already am brain drained.

    It's a whole 'nother thing when people are writing on a 3rd grade level but are adults (some I know have degrees) and are born Americans who have no learning disabilities. What is their/our excuse for that? This isn't my first, second nor last language and somehow manage to do finely. I've seen some horrendous websites out there and think, that's how you represent your business? I have been appalled at resumes with child like spelling and grammar and gotten some very inappropriately dressed applicants handing them to me. I wonder does this person truly want a job when that's how they represent themselves? It gets worse with the younger generations. Half of the alumni on my FB I have to block from my "News Feed" because they talk like everything is a rap song, create their own spelling and jargon. I have to decipher it in plain English in my head like as if I'm translating a different language. I'm very cut off from my peers. My friends (my SO too) are 10+ years older than me.

    I feel education has slipped, etiquette is a noble ghost and it has become okay to be an idiot..... glorified even (IE Jersey Shore).

    We probably write the most we've ever written with texting and social websites, but we understand and use fewer words. You'd think since we write more, we would get better at it. That is what I really don't get.
    Last edited by The_Monstors; 09-17-2011 at 02:29 AM.

  18. #57
    Senior Member zdonBGSU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bowling Green, OH
    Posts
    192

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    nothing to do with education... people spell without the H because its ridiculous to do so... ph makes a F sound in english most of the time anyways ... language is organic and not some set of rules that only the "educated" folks can follow. spellings change, pronunciations change according to various set of rules all the time...

  19. #58
    Senior Member Inga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,945

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    It doesn't bother me that much when Joe Q public says it but when someone who owns the breed or breeds them still does it... UGH! There used to be a guy in town the bred ROCKWEILDERS. I also knew a lady that had a purebred See-chew (Shihtzu) But she would always tell me about her "See-chew" That really drove me nuts. I know that I am more sensitive where my favorite breed is concerned but Rockweilder? Are you kidding? AND he bred dogs. Who buys a Rottweiler from a person that calls them Rockweilders and yet pretends to know everything about the breed? How can you even take a person like that seriously?


    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Gandhi

  20. #59
    Super Moderator cshellenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    D.C. Metro
    Posts
    10,540

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by zdonBGSU View Post
    nothing to do with education... people spell without the H because its ridiculous to do so... ph makes a F sound in english most of the time anyways ... language is organic and not some set of rules that only the "educated" folks can follow. spellings change, pronunciations change according to various set of rules all the time...
    Then you have to remember that there are learning disabilities such as dyslexia that could account for misspelling, my father couldn't spell tha name of his children because his dyslexia was so bad. He quite school in the second grade because of it (the teachers in the '30's just thought he couldn't learn) and went to work with his Grandfather on the fishing boats to support his widowed Mom and sisters. This is a man that later held a 100 ton captains AND chief engineers license, he took both tests verbally and passes both at 100%.

    Spelling ability has little to do with a persons intelligence, yeah it bugs me, but then I think about my Father.
    Carla
    "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control" Proverbs 29:11

  21. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    "Lost Wages", NV
    Posts
    730

    Re: Why is German Shepherd SO HARD for people to spell correctly???

    Quote Originally Posted by Inga View Post
    Who buys a Rottweiler from a person that calls them Rockweilders and yet pretends to know everything about the breed? How can you even take a person like that seriously?
    Hah! I havent seen that one before. I normally see "rottwilder" or "rottwelder" and once "rockwilders". I agree that if it's "your" breed you should at least know the name correctly. I know I botched the name of a few breeds, but I also don't know much about them.

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.