My puppy won't walk or move on the leash
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

  1. #1
    Senior Member andreangil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    110

    My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    He has soo much energy and I'd like to start giving him daily walks but he won't move, he just lays there. Off leash and he's all over the place which is why he needs a leash. Thanks for your tips!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member agility collie mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Until he is fully vaccinated practice walking on a leash in your house. Make it fun with tiny treats as bait. A little peanut butter on a long handled spoon (so you don't have to constantly bend over) works.
    Also see the sticky for loose leash walking under the training section of this forum.
    Last edited by agility collie mom; 06-20-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    "Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

  4. #3
    Junior Member ever1ast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    20

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    We had the same issue with our pup when we first brought her home at 9wks old. The vet's thoughts on it was that since she had never been out of the house/yard of the person we bought her from, she was attached to "home" and would eventually adjust. However I did notice that when we took her out on the leash with my kids, she seemed to follow them everywhere, so we used this to our advantage and she followed them around the block. After a few times of this she began to get more eager to walk on her own. Just like the peanut butter suggestion, it seems maybe you need to find the right type of encouragement for your pup.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    170

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Here's what I do if one of my dogs doesn't feel like moving on the leash for what ever reason.. I'll walk ahead until theirs slight tension on the leash and simply wait and give praise... For example, the mutt in my sig Jinx had a problem with rail road tracks. So I stepped onto the tracks and she froze.. I just waited for about 20 seconds and she followed me over. Now she doesn't have a problem with them.

    (got that from "Dog Whisperer")

  6. #5
    Senior Member tgrsnpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    120

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    This definietly happened to my dog. When she was a puppy, she would just walk in shaded area or just don't walk at all. I would have to carry her almost all of it. But if you keep bringing your puppy out more and more with the leash on, he would get used to it. Right now I am trying to get my dog to stop biting her leash for the first 30 seconds of the walk. -_______________-"

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Llandysul, Wales, UK
    Posts
    6

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    was just about to come on here and post the very same thread. we have a 14 week old lab Puppy( Chumley) and whilst hes fine with the lead on around the house and the back and front garden when you try to take him that bit further he sits his little bum down and will not shift for anythin, we have tried the following daddy bit, throwin treats just in front of him, long stick with something nice on it, praise, carrying him down the road and hoping he will walk back, nothing seems to work, so any suggestions would be most greatfully recieved


    Chumleys dad

  8. #7
    Senior Member melgrj7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,804

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Its normal for young puppies not to want to leave the protection of home. Just keep trying and usually with age they start to get more bold and want to explore. Have the puppy drag the leash around the house, supervised of course, so he or she gets used to have it on. Encourage him or her to follow you around the house using treats or toys, while still dragging the leash. When you go outside and try to leave, work on only taking a few steps and then go back inside. Next time try for 4 steps. Slowly work your way up to farther distances, literally one or two steps at a time. If at any time he or she starts to balk again, slow down, go back a few steps. For example, if you have gotten up to 10 steps away from the house, and to try 11 and he or she won't do it, go back to 8 steps next time and try working your way back up again. Each step the pup takes away from the house earns him/her a treat.

  9. #8
    Senior Member andreangil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    110

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Wow! These are all great suggestions! Thanks!

  10. #9
    Senior Member Cracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,613

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Thoughts in puppies head:

    Ohh what's that, what's that, what's that? OMD WHAT"S THAT!??! Freeze.

    The world is a crazy place for a pup. Smells, sounds, breezes, the feel of the sidewalk, the feel of the grass. Remember their senses are acute compared to ours. Most pups (at 8 or 9 weeks) and then again at about 15-16 weeks go through this phase. And it is just a phase. Perfectly normal. If they have not been socialized to the world this is even harder for them to overcome. When you go out, take some REALLY yummy treats and a squeaky toy they like. When the brakes go on, just wait. No pulling or tension on the lead as this creates the "opposition reflex" where they resist the pull by counterbalancing it (same thing goes with a dog that pulls on the leash..the tighter the tension, the more they pull..) this is a reflex, not a conscious decision on the part of the dog.

    When you've waited (it seems like forever, I know, but only 20-30 seconds)...encourage him with the food, if that doesn't work, use the toy, if that doesn't work, wait again. This stage is a pain in the butt, but believe me, one day the pup will suddenly be all agogogogo and you'll be wishing you were back on "stop and sit". This is all a normal part of puppy development and when the pup starts to feel less overwhelmed by the outside world he will learn to move along.
    Maggi and Cracker, Dog about Rosedale


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    170

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Thoughts in puppies head:

    Ohh what's that, what's that, what's that? OMD WHAT"S THAT!??! Freeze.

    The world is a crazy place for a pup. Smells, sounds, breezes, the feel of the sidewalk, the feel of the grass. Remember their senses are acute compared to ours. Most pups (at 8 or 9 weeks) and then again at about 15-16 weeks go through this phase. And it is just a phase. Perfectly normal. If they have not been socialized to the world this is even harder for them to overcome. When you go out, take some REALLY yummy treats and a squeaky toy they like. When the brakes go on, just wait. No pulling or tension on the lead as this creates the "opposition reflex" where they resist the pull by counterbalancing it (same thing goes with a dog that pulls on the leash..the tighter the tension, the more they pull..) this is a reflex, not a conscious decision on the part of the dog.

    When you've waited (it seems like forever, I know, but only 20-30 seconds)...encourage him with the food, if that doesn't work, use the toy, if that doesn't work, wait again. This stage is a pain in the butt, but believe me, one day the pup will suddenly be all agogogogo and you'll be wishing you were back on "stop and sit". This is all a normal part of puppy development and when the pup starts to feel less overwhelmed by the outside world he will learn to move along.
    But it works... and it's easier than luring with treats. At least with my dogs.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Cracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,613

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    A slight tug on the leash may work, but PULLING when your dog is in overload mode can be frustrating for all involved and can also teach a pup to hate his leash and collar. Most of us inadvertently teach our dogs to pull, then get frustrated trying to unteach it.
    Maggi and Cracker, Dog about Rosedale


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    170

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    A slight tug on the leash may work, but PULLING when your dog is in overload mode can be frustrating for all involved and can also teach a pup to hate his leash and collar. Most of us inadvertently teach our dogs to pull, then get frustrated trying to unteach it.
    I don't tug or pull. Just keep enough tension on the leash so they know which direction we need to be going.

  14. #13
    Senior Member HORSEandHOUND's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    296

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I don't tug or pull. Just keep enough tension on the leash so they know which direction we need to be going.
    I 100% whole heartedly agree. I do te leash tension with bait and a let's go command before the tension happens. Once there is ANY forward movement to start, the dog is rewarded with lots of praise. It took my pup 2 days to figure out that let's go means move your feet now.
    never tug, just tension

  15. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    4

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    I have an 11 week old long haired American Akita. Will not budge on the lead. Funny how a few treats get him to move a short way then stops. Wants more treats and moves. Is this typical. The dog whisperer saids get a longer lead the breeder saids a strong leather lead.
    My puppy won't walk or move on the leash-img00222-20111219-2222.jpg

  16. #15
    Super Moderator cshellenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    D.C. Metro
    Posts
    10,540

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Drop the dog whisperer training, Put a light weight lead on and allow the pup to walk around with it dragging (under supervision) remember you're working with an infant and the baby is most likely scared of the new thing attached to her. Be sure to REWARD all desired behavior.
    Carla
    "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control" Proverbs 29:11

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    482

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Quote Originally Posted by cshellenberger View Post
    Drop the dog whisperer training, Put a light weight lead on and allow the pup to walk around with it dragging (under supervision) remember you're working with an infant and the baby is most likely scared of the new thing attached to her. Be sure to REWARD all desired behavior.
    That's what we did with our puppy, who came from a hoarder's yard and had never been on a leash (or worn a collar) at 12 weeks. First, I put a collar on her and let her wear that around the house until she ignored it, didn't take that long. Then I attached a piece of string and had her drag that around until she ignored it, then a light leash, then a heavier leash...it was only a couple of days until she was used to having something on her neck and something attached to it. Then I picked up the leash and just held it loosely...lots of treats while gradually taking up the slack in the leash. I followed her around attached to the leash for a while before I tried to get her to follow me on it...treating all the time.

  18. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    I have just got a dog lhaso from a rescue centre she has been badly beaten in her short 2yrs of life & flinches wen u go 2 stroke her, I put the lead on her 2day 2 take her 4 her 1st walk & she coward as thou I was going 2 hit her with it. I tried taking her over the Heath 2day 4 a nice leisurely stroll but she will not move, just sits or lays down, can anyone give me any advice on how 2 get her 2 walk?

  19. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    I got a lhaso from a rescue centre yesterday & I feel she has been badly treated as she filches at loud or sudden noises & everytime we stroke her she cowers on the floor. I could see the fear in her eyes as I attached the lead 2 the collar, it would seem she's been hurt with a lead in her short 2yr existence. I took her down the Heath 2day thinking she'd enjoy a nice stroll as the kennels said she had been confined 2 a barn with a concrete floor 4 the past yr, only she lays down & refuses to move. I don't want 2 tug on the lead but tempting treats doesn't seem 2 work either... Has anyone got any advice on wat I can try next?

  20. #19
    Senior Member BostonBullMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Quote Originally Posted by Ali2505 View Post
    I got a lhaso from a rescue centre yesterday & I feel she has been badly treated as she filches at loud or sudden noises & everytime we stroke her she cowers on the floor. I could see the fear in her eyes as I attached the lead 2 the collar, it would seem she's been hurt with a lead in her short 2yr existence. I took her down the Heath 2day thinking she'd enjoy a nice stroll as the kennels said she had been confined 2 a barn with a concrete floor 4 the past yr, only she lays down & refuses to move. I don't want 2 tug on the lead but tempting treats doesn't seem 2 work either... Has anyone got any advice on wat I can try next?
    If she's used to confinement than believe it or not, that may be her source of 'comfort' at the moment. I wouldn't plan to take her on any big extravagant walks just yet, I would put the lead on her and then put her in the backyard (with you) and let her drag it around sniffing and moving at her own pace. Eventually, when she's comfortable, you can pick it up and walk her around the yard, then start making your way down to the sidewalk and maybe just walk back and forth in front of the house. Once she realises walks are fun, you'll be able to take her for a longer and longer one.

    Toby :: Boston Bulldog :: Oct 15 2012

  21. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6

    Re: My puppy won't walk or move on the leash

    Well, have you had the puppy on a leash before? He probably doesn't know what you want him to do. Try to put the leash on in the house and keep it on to get him use to the idea of being on a leash. Then, you could walk around with him in the backyard. Once he gets use to walking with you, try taking him on a walk.

    I hope this helps!

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.