Dog with runny nose!
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dog with runny nose!

  1. #1
    Member gizzysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    67

    Dog with runny nose!

    Ok, I know I worry too much, but I just looked at my dog and saw that his nose was dripping!(clear) I know since I've gotten him (about 1 month ago), he has always sneezed too, but I know dogs sneeze now and then, right? Also, in the mornings, he coughs, but to the point of gagging, and my daughter said that today while I was at work, he had a bad coughing spell and she rubbed his back and he stopped.
    I had no idea when his last shots were, but I got them done when I got him, and had him on heartworm preventive- the test was negative.
    I have made an appointment at the vet for in the morning, but what could this be guys? I'm too worried!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member gizzysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    67

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    No, he was being kept outside in a pen with other dogs! That's why I thank GOD i got him out of there! He is a pomeranian and does not belong outside!

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    220

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    Dogs don't have boogers. But running clear snot? Who knows. Maybe it's water dripping from sweat?

  5. #4
    Member gizzysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    67

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    Um, no, I never said he had boogers. And no, it is not sweat.

  6. #5
    Senior Member DJsMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,378

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    It sounds to me like it could very well be kennel cough, which, as I understand, is pretty easy to treat. I'm glad you've got a vet appt sched & hope all goes well!
    Cathy

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    220

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    Quote Originally Posted by gizzysmom View Post
    Um, no, I never said he had boogers. And no, it is not sweat.
    Oh, sorry, I didnt meant for it to sound like you said that. Came out wrong on the net. Was stating it more like well 'Ruling that one out"....

  8. #7
    Senior Member TooneyDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,423

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    Dogs produce mucus just like humans to clean out the dust, pollen and other floating debris that gets inhaled in the lungs. During the day, they cough on occasion to clear it out. During the night, that mucus accumulates so you might see a big coughing fit in the morning sometimes with frothy, white gunk being expelled. If it's greenish/yellow, that's stomach bile...the dog is hungry (on an empty stomach, the stomach acids will produce retching).

    As dogs are so much closer to the ground (and inhale more dust), this is fairly common.

  9. #8
    Member gizzysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    67

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    That's just it- Nothing ever came out- But I did take him to the vet and they said it was upper respitory infection and put him on antibiotics.
    Thanks for all your help!

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    162

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    Quote Originally Posted by TooneyDogs View Post
    Dogs produce mucus just like humans to clean out the dust, pollen and other floating debris that gets inhaled in the lungs. During the day, they cough on occasion to clear it out. During the night, that mucus accumulates so you might see a big coughing fit in the morning sometimes with frothy, white gunk being expelled. If it's greenish/yellow, that's stomach bile...the dog is hungry (on an empty stomach, the stomach acids will produce retching).

    As dogs are so much closer to the ground (and inhale more dust), this is fairly common.
    It could actually be a number of different things... They can have "rhinitis" – inflammation of the nose. Some will have sinus problems, upper respiratory infections, foreign bodies, nasal irritation, nasal mites, nasal tumors and other things but those problems are usually associated with other signs such as sneezing or bloody nose, it's also a symptom for certain lyme diseases or "tick fevers"...

    I would recommend you have the vet check it out. It's not normal for a dog's nose to "run" excessively.

    We had to put our dog down because of tick fever (similar to lyme disease) and one of the symptoms that told us something was wrong was her nose was constantly dripping this watery mucus.

  11. #10
    Senior Member DJsMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,378

    Re: Dog with runny nose!

    Quote Originally Posted by gizzysmom View Post
    That's just it- Nothing ever came out- But I did take him to the vet and they said it was upper respitory infection and put him on antibiotics.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Glad to hear it was nothing too serious!
    Cathy

  12. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.