First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

  1. #21
    Senior Member rosemaryninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Also, the snout of this dog is quite a bit bigger than a pug. I would be inclined to assume that the beathing problems would be limited, as his snout is much closer to that of a papillon than a pug.
    Probably true - the point of everyone else was that you can't assume the same for every papillon/pug mix bred. Thus you can't really say "breeding these dogs would be a good idea", because only some will end up with the longer snouts of the pap, while others might get flat noses like the pug. It's not a 50/50 thing where snout-length is averaged out between the two breeds.

    Now, at the moment we have to leave him alone at home for the day while we work. We currently work the exact same shift times, but I go home for lunch. Is he going to be ok being at home for that long alone? We have him in another room away from the two cats.
    That sounds fine. I don't know if you mentioned this somewhere along the thread, but how old is he? Sorry if I missed it. It's a general guideline that pups can hold their bladders for as many hours as there are months in their age, and I would think this guideline would be even stricter with small dogs because they have comparatively smaller bladders. That might provide you with an idea of how long he can be left alone at one go.

    Also, what about sleeping with us at night? Is it better to separate us at night or is it ok for him to sleep with us right now? A downfall is, he can't jump off the bed right now. It's far too high. He also fell off the bed last night, which was kind of scary.
    I would definitely not let him sleep on the bed until he's pottytrained - till then, he should stay in his crate. Beyond that, it's your choice, but I would at least wait till he's fully grown first.

    I am no expert on either breed in your mix, but I've heard a lot about them being very toy-motivated. If you are looking to entertain him in his crate while you're gone, puzzle games are probably a good idea. Invest in a Kong or a Buster Cube - these are toys that will make your puppy think, as opposed to just apply physical strength. There are lots of other posts on this forum about what you can put in a Kong and how to make them last longer.

    If you can, take him out for a quick walk right before work. You and your SO/roommate can alternate if you like, so that you're not the one getting up earlier all the time. Even if it's just tossing a ball for him in the house. But remember, no jogging while he's a growing pup as it could hurt his joints. Anyway, that should leave him content to sleep till lunch, and you can leave him the Buster Cube just before you go, just to ensure he won't be bored.

    Have fun with your puppy! He's adorable.
    -Melissa
    Life is never dull with a Beagle
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3

    Smile Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Hello everyone! I had to jump into this conversation because I too am a very proud Papillon-pug mix. We were told they are called Pugillon's but that may have just been the breeders name for them. My little Beans has hair like a pug as far as short and ears like the pugs. Her tail is curly and has 1 1/2 curls. She has the long legs of the Papillon but they are thicker because of the pug. The vet said she is really good because Papillon's can be a bit fragile on their legs. Her knees are good, I had that checked. The only thing I have had issues with her was she did not potty train very fast like my other dogs had and her breathing. If she gets too excited or is running alot she will have a snorting attack. When I took her to our vet he said that is common with the pugs so to just calm her down and pet her neck to force her to swallow. We do and it has worked so far. My puppy is very very loving and wants to see what we are doing at all times. I never crated my dogs so I didn't with her. I wished I had at one point only because when she was little we moved into a new house and she chewed the corners off of our hand carved banisters and ripped the carpet off of one step of the stairs. She stopped doing that finally and so far has stopped the whole chewing bit. She stays during the day with our other two dogs in the house to roam free downstairs. I have not had any problems with her. With our schedule they are alone up to 9 hrs a day with work and maybe once a month we might come home to a poo accident but that has been it so far. We have wood floors so I would know if she goes.

    I love my little Pugillon. She is very loyal and loves to ride in her car seat in the car. She is scared of small children since a little girl at the vets came to pet her and then pulled on her ear. She is cautious of anyone new at first and will not leave my side. She is smart and loves to learn new tricks. She does the standard sit, stay, shake, etc. But we also taught her to jump through the hoop, do the soldier (she crawls on her belly), and sit pretty. She does have little dog syndrome and feels that she can take her 15 lb body and beat up the next door husky who is about 90 lbs.

    Beans is the first little dog I have ever had and she has been great. We love her!
    Thanks,
    Patti
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid-1-27-08-beans   First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid-1-27-08-beans  
    Last edited by esweetp; 10-06-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #23
    Senior Member DogPaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    554

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Did the OP get the dog from a breeder?
    Last edited by DogPaw; 10-06-2009 at 05:35 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3

    Smile Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    I don't know what OP is.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  6. #25
    Senior Member skelaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,467

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    I don't know what OP is.
    OP is "Original Poster."
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #26
    Super Moderator RonE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, WI
    Posts
    10,253

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    The original post is from about 18 months ago.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10

    Smile Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    Hello everyone! I had to jump into this conversation because I too am a very proud Papillon-pug mix. We were told they are called Pugillon's but that may have just been the breeders name for them.
    I like Pugillon, but my favourite is PapyPug. You're the first I've heard that has one of these crosses.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    My little Beans has hair like a pug as far as short and ears like the pugs. Her tail is curly and has 1 1/2 curls. She has the long legs of the Papillon but they are thicker because of the pug. The vet said she is really good because Papillon's can be a bit fragile on their legs. Her knees are good, I had that checked.
    Howie (my puggillon) has longer hair and his ears are more like a papillon. He has pug colouring (black nose and brownish everywhere else). He also has good knees. I get worried about him jumping up and down from our bed though. We're in the process of making a step for him for when we move into our new place (it doesn't have carpet, so that worries me more).


    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    The only thing I have had issues with her was she did not potty train very fast like my other dogs had and her breathing. If she gets too excited or is running alot she will have a snorting attack. When I took her to our vet he said that is common with the pugs so to just calm her down and pet her neck to force her to swallow. We do and it has worked so far.
    We had some troubles with the potty training as well. He wasn't able to hold it for too long at first. He also HATES when it has rained outside. He will run on the grass, go pee, then pull until I finally give up and take him inside. Sometimes he will then poop inside. This is not very often, but it does happen from time to time. He's getting a lot better with that now, though, cause he knows it takes A LONG time for me to finally give in and take him inside.

    For breathing, we have the same issue sometimes. It's mostly just after he wakes up and tries to run a lot or if he does pull on the leash. He used to be worse with it when he was younger. We were told to grab his nose and kind of push it down a bit. This seems to work quite well to open the airways.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    My puppy is very very loving and wants to see what we are doing at all times.
    Howie is exactly the same!!! He is more attached to my girlfriend, but he always has to be beside us when we are home. Funny story. I take him out in the morning (I work later than my girlfriend) and we currently on the 14th floor of an apartment building. As I was with Howie, my girlfriend left for work. Howie knew she was there when he left and usually runs up to her to say hello every time he gets back in the morning. This time she wasn't there. He went running and looked every place she could possibly be (even checked the balcony) and couldn't find her. It took him a while to finally adjust to the fact that she wasn't there, haha. It was cute. But yeah, he's very loving and follows us everywhere, and always has to know what we are doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    I never crated my dogs so I didn't with her. I wished I had at one point only because when she was little we moved into a new house and she chewed the corners off of our hand carved banisters and ripped the carpet off of one step of the stairs. She stopped doing that finally and so far has stopped the whole chewing bit. She stays during the day with our other two dogs in the house to roam free downstairs. I have not had any problems with her. With our schedule they are alone up to 9 hrs a day with work and maybe once a month we might come home to a poo accident but that has been it so far. We have wood floors so I would know if she goes.
    I pretty much have to agree with all of this, except for the fact that we semi-crated Howie for a while. We live in an apt with carpets right now, but usually no accidents. If anything, it's cause he refused to poop outside in the morning, haha. He chewed a pair of my girlfriends boots and the corners of a couple of our tables when he was younger, but nothing huge. His chewing is nowhere near as bad or damaging as my sisters min-pin chiwawa cross. We will soon be moving into an all wood floor home! I can't wait! We leave him out and he's always very good.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    I love my little Pugillon. She is very loyal and loves to ride in her car seat in the car. She is scared of small children since a little girl at the vets came to pet her and then pulled on her ear.
    We have a seatbelt for Howie, and he loves the car too, as does probably every dog, haha. He is also a little scared of children because of an incident where he was kicked.

    Just a hint. Don't post anything about that kind of stuff on here if you want advice. People will tell you to get rid of your dog and that you are a horrible person and shouldn't own a dog. Howie got kicked by a friends child and he reacted by growling at the child and jumped up on him and snapped at him. I ended up ignoring all of the comments on here and just listened to our dog trainer. We worked with the parents of the child and now they are best friends. The child is very good around Howie and respects animals now - he also isn't as spoiled as he used to be, and Howie respects children a lot more because of it. He still is a bit scared of new children, though. Everyone on here was telling me to give the dog up or never bring him around this child again. We did the opposite and it worked out great. That's a whole different story, though. You obviously owned other dogs, so you probably have your go-to people.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    She is cautious of anyone new at first and will not leave my side. She is smart and loves to learn new tricks. She does the standard sit, stay, shake, etc. But we also taught her to jump through the hoop, do the soldier (she crawls on her belly), and sit pretty.
    Howie loves to meet new people, but is a bit cautious of new dogs. He will flip over and submit very quickly to a new dog. It's funny and cute. Howie also knows a lot of tricks. He does the normal sit, stay, lay down, wait, and all that. He also knows roll over, dance, shake, high 5, high 10, crawl (same as soldier) and stop. I taught him how to do stop. Basically when I walk with him, I get him to heel beside me. Then I say 'Stop', and he stops beside me and sits. This doesn't work well outside, though. Mostly just in the hallway on our way downstairs.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    She does have little dog syndrome and feels that she can take her 15 lb body and beat up the next door husky who is about 90 lbs.
    Haha, Howie likes to try to scare other dogs until they get close to him as well. He just has some bark to him. That's one thing we have a problem with. If he hears other people in the hall, he will run to the door and bark. If someone even knocks on our door, he flips out. Right up until that person is inside. Then he's right beside us barking (sometimes if he doesn't know the person) or he's licking their legs, haha. He's a licker.

    She's 15lbs though? Howie was 12 at his highest. I think he's about 10-11 now though. He lost a bit of weight cause we had to switch him to wet food only. He has a very sensitive stomach, so the dry food sometimes doesn't agree with him and he will throw up quite a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by esweetp View Post
    Beans is the first little dog I have ever had and she has been great. We love her!
    Thanks,
    Patti
    Sounds like she's in good hands!

    She looks a lot different than Howie, I'll say that. I'll see if I can find some more recent pictures of him. The pictures in here are much older, and he has changed A LOT since then.

    .....

    I found some more picutres. One is of him on our couch. Another is of him sleeping on my arm. The last one is of him falling asleep on the bathroom floor after a shower (he HAS to be in the bathroom when we shower).

    Your dog sounds so similar to Howie, but they look quite different. She's very cute! I'm sure she's a bundle of joy!! Howie for sure is!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid-img_0012-1-.jpg   First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid-img_0038-1-.jpg   First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid-img_0004.jpg  
    Last edited by ghoti; 10-07-2009 at 05:05 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Hi, esweetp. Beans is absolutely precious! May I ask where you got her?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #29
    Senior Member lucygoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Indiana
    Posts
    610

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    dogbreedinfo is terrible!

    All the pups are cute, precious!

    buttercup....pet store.....
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3

    Smile Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Hi, esweetp. Beans is absolutely precious! May I ask where you got her

    Hi! We actually got her from a pet store but we live in a very small town so the breeder lives next to us. It is nice because this way we knew she wasn't from a puppy mill. The breeder has the mom and dad. I live in Stanwood, Washington State. She has been a joy to have around. The only thing that drives me crazy is when someone new comes over she will bark at them a lot. She is getting better but it can be irriating. Otherwise she has been great. She is stubborn at times but I think that is just her personality.

    Thanks for the compliment, she is little lover.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Does your neighbor still breed papillon/pugs (pugillon)? Please email me.

    Hilda
    Last edited by cshellenberger; 07-04-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: personal information removed
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    hp- please don't go try to find a 'breeder' of these dogs and support a backyard breeder. They're mutts- mixed breed dogs that should not be being bred.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, but I actually had one (looked very similar) and he was the best dog I ever had in my life. The disposition perfect, no problems at all -- the only thing that was not corrected by this breeding pair was the shedding. I am still in depression over my loss of the papillon/pug mixed dog. It is like having lost a child or a husband. I am desperate to find another one. Can't help it. Hilda
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    As desperate as you may be, you need to be responsible on the matter. You can go to a shelter and find a great dog- no need to support people breeding mutts for profit without cause.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Oh by the way I forgot to mention that the dog was a mistake that happened and the lady actually was a pug breeder - she gave the "mistakes" away to good homes. But I would pay for one, if I can find one. Seems like this combination is not a "designer" breed. What was so good about my mix was he looked more like a pug, but not as husky and legs were more solid. He had no breathing problems. Also he was taller than a pug which was good. Was so obedient and eager to please. Never snatched food from kids or begged at the table even though the others did. I have a Jack and a Chihuahua also. I have always had purebreds prior to my pugillon ( whatever you call them).

    So why are you so against this mixing of 2 purebreds if done carefully, controlled and meaningful, as in breeding 2 same purebreds? If not done by a puppy mill type operation, and the dogs are in demaind, what is wrong with this. The problems comes from operations that pump out the dogs like mad and they live in horrible conditions, etc. The lady who I got my mix from actually bred pugs in her home, but like I said she had a oops happen. But even so, she produced very fine dogs. I would never buy a dog through a pet store because (at least in the big cities) these dogs generally do not come from good breeders who care anything about the quality of the dogs.

    Hilda
    Last edited by hp1102; 07-03-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  17. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by hp1102 View Post
    Oh by the way I forgot to mention that the dog was a mistake that happened and the lady actually was a pug breeder - she gave the "mistakes" away to good homes. But I would pay for one, if I can find one. Seems like this combination is not a "designer" breed. What was so good about my mix was he looked more like a pug, but not as husky and legs were more solid. He had no breathing problems. Also he was taller than a pug which was good. Was so obedient and eager to please. Never snatched food from kids or begged at the table even though the others did. I have a Jack and a Chihuahua also. I have always had purebreds prior to my pugillon ( whatever you call them).
    If she let her dog breed with a papillon, then she was not a good breeder and I wouldn't have bought from her in the first place. A responsible breeder never would have let such a thing happen.

    The point is, you should find a dog in a shelter that's perfect for you or buy a purebred dog from a reputable breeder, not a backyard breeder on the street selling mutts. That's a very irresponsible dog owning decision to make.

    Oh, and if they're calling them pugillons, then they're a designer breed. Which really means they're making up a cute name to entice stupid pet owners to pay money to support them breeding mutts.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  18. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    I guess I cannot understand your point of view 100% (maybe 80%) and of course, I can tell that you did not read my last post very carefully, so I know you do not care about my point of view. I guess you think we should have kill off all the "mutts" in the world. Because if no one takes them, then what other choice is there. This issue has as much controversy as religion and politics. So I have no more to say on the matter. Enjoy your 4th and watch out for your dogs.

    Hilda
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  19. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    I believe I read your post just fine, and it's great that your previous dog was a good dog.

    But supporting people that breed mutts is just not something responsible pet owners do. The only reason someone should breed is to further the dog's breed- for a purpose that actually helps the dogs, and should always require contracts to make sure their pups never end up in a shelter. Backyard breeders that are breeding dogs like this don't breed healthy dogs, or purbred dogs, don't title their dogs, and because of people like these shelters are overrun with dogs that they're having to euthanize because of the overwhelming amount of them in shelters. Supporting a "breeder" like that is just supporting the euthanasia of tons of dogs in shelters everyday.

    I just don't see why you wouldn't want to go save a dog just like that (definitely possible to get the exact same breed mix) from a shelter, to help the shelter out, yourself out, and put an end to people breeding these mutts that overpopulate the planet with health problems, temperment problems, and babies.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  20. #39
    Senior Member RaeganW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by hp1102 View Post
    So why are you so against this mixing of 2 purebreds if done carefully, controlled and meaningful, as in breeding 2 same purebreds? If not done by a puppy mill type operation, and the dogs are in demaind, what is wrong with this. The problems comes from operations that pump out the dogs like mad and they live in horrible conditions, etc. The lady who I got my mix from actually bred pugs in her home, but like I said she had a oops happen. But even so, she produced very fine dogs. I would never buy a dog through a pet store because (at least in the big cities) these dogs generally do not come from good breeders who care anything about the quality of the dogs.

    Hilda
    It's generally harder to find responsible breeders of mixed breed dogs. Not impossible, but most don't health test (it's a common misperception that health test and OFA are only for purebred dogs - they're not. ANY one can have it done) or show their dogs in any capacity. Part of that is limited opportunity, but there are more and more performance opportunities for mixed breed dogs. It's one thing to say, "oh, they vet says she's healthy and he has just the best temprament," and quite another to say "Both the sire and the dam have Grade 1 patellas and here's their OFA numbers so you can check for yourself, and I'm sorry you can't meet the sire today because he's going for the last leg of his Open title at an Obedience trial." It's the outside verification of a dog's quality that ensures he has genes that will make good pups. It's one thing to say "I think he's great," and quite add, "and I have proof." Breeders are not split into puppy millers and good breeders, there's a spectrum.

    Additionally, just because you loved your last Papillon x Pug, doesn't mean you'll get the same dog in another Papillon x Pug. You rarely get what you had in purebred dogs, where there is a long history of breeding to conformity. In a mixed breed, you never know how the genes will fall; there's a much greater level of unknown.
    Tell a Lab, ask a Golden, negotiate with a Chessie, play with a Toller
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  21. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    51

    Re: First time dog owner - Papillon-pug hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    "In biology:
    Hybrid (biology), the offspring resulting from cross-breeding of different plants or animals. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid
    From Biology-Online.org

    Hybrid
    Definition

    noun, plural form: hybrids

    (general) Any of mixed origin or composition, or the combination of two or more different things.

    (biology) An offspring resulting from the cross between parents of different species or sub-species.


    subspecies

    A group somewhat lessdistinct than speciesusually are, but based on characters more important than those which characterise ordinary varieties; often, a geographical variety or race. (biology) a taxonomic group that is a division of a species; usually arises as a consequence of geographical isolation within a species.The most precise classification of organism. Our own species, Homo sapiens sapiens is a prime example of a subspecies, which over time had diversified from Homo sapiens and respective common ancestors.


    It would appear the op is correct to call it a hybrid.
    Last edited by WeimLover; 07-04-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.