Why does my dog stand and lay on us?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

  1. #1
    Junior Member StormyNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5

    Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    My husband and I got a german shepard/lab/newfoundland mix puppy about 3 1/2 months ago. We already had an 8lb. chihuahua/jack russell mix. Well, as you can imagine, the puppy (who is now five months old) has gotten quite big, about 35lbs. now.

    She does this weird thing where she tries to lay and stand on us all the time, whether we're standing or sitting or laying down and she does it to my other dog as well. She stands with her paws on my feet and leans on my legs when I'm standing, which can be painful because she puts all of her weight onto her paws and on my feet. She'll also go up to my other dog and stand over her or try to lay on on top of her. Does anyone know what this means?

    I should also mention, in case it's related, that she is very attention seeking right now. It's like she has to have someone's full attention 24/7 and when we're all busy she barks and stares at us, runs back and forth around the house making noise and chewing on herself. We walk and run her everyday so it's not like she's not getting exercise.

    Any insight would be great. I work at home and have to deal with this all day and I'm about to pull my hair out! Thank you!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member jconli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Jackson Hole, WY
    Posts
    81

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    My guess is it sounds like dominance (although I know a lot of people think puppies can't be dominate!)... I would suggest the NILIF (nothing in life is free) training.

    Casey (10 months) and Roy (11 years)

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    *here* pointing to palm of right hand
    Posts
    3,312

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by StormyNight View Post
    My husband and I got a german shepard/lab/newfoundland mix puppy about 3 1/2 months ago. We already had an 8lb. chihuahua/jack russell mix. Well, as you can imagine, the puppy (who is now five months old) has gotten quite big, about 35lbs. now.

    She does this weird thing where she tries to lay and stand on us all the time, whether we're standing or sitting or laying down and she does it to my other dog as well. She stands with her paws on my feet and leans on my legs when I'm standing, which can be painful because she puts all of her weight onto her paws and on my feet. She'll also go up to my other dog and stand over her or try to lay on on top of her. Does anyone know what this means?

    I should also mention, in case it's related, that she is very attention seeking right now. It's like she has to have someone's full attention 24/7 and when we're all busy she barks and stares at us, runs back and forth around the house making noise and chewing on herself. We walk and run her everyday so it's not like she's not getting exercise.

    Any insight would be great. I work at home and have to deal with this all day and I'm about to pull my hair out! Thank you!
    Because you let her.....

    its not dominance
    just tell her to stop and don't let her do it if it bothers you
    s

  5. #4
    Senior Member GreatDaneMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shalva View Post
    Because you let her.....

    its not dominance
    just tell her to stop and don't let her do it if it bothers you
    s
    yes... plus i want to add it can also be a security thing. my Lexi has Sep. Anxiety and when shes with me she will get nervous i might leave her so she will lean against me or sit on my leg while im kneeling. it doesnt bother me so i dont make her stop because she wont do it it anyone but me...
    The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. ~Mark Twain

  6. #5
    Senior Member Xeph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Castle, PA
    Posts
    12,074

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    It's not Dominance. It's a Newfie thing :-p

    Lots of the Giant breeds do it. Newfies and Bernese are notorious foot sitters. There're two BMD's at my club...Heidi and Robert...if you say hi to either one, they promptly turn around, sit on your foot, and then stare up at you going "I LUV J00!!!!!"

    My Shepherd is also a leaner....all my Shepherds are. It's just what they DO.
    S Konzert vom Drachenberg CD, RN, CGC, TC, retired service dog "Strauss"
    Mana's 5 Cents for Advice Marcato TC "Wesson"
    Blackthorn's Loch RN TC mobility service dog "Loch"
    Marcato's Turn the Page "Nook" - Coming soon!

  7. #6
    Senior Member melgrj7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,804

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    She does it because its a rewarding behavior for her. She gets attention for it (and even bad attention is at least attention!). Ignore her, or turn your back to her when she does it. When you see her about to do it, tell her to sit and reward her for sitting on the floor and not on your feet, give her lots of attention for not being on you.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Lonewolfblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    2,329

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
    It's not Dominance. It's a Newfie thing :-p

    Lots of the Giant breeds do it. Newfies and Bernese are notorious foot sitters. There're two BMD's at my club...Heidi and Robert...if you say hi to either one, they promptly turn around, sit on your foot, and then stare up at you going "I LUV J00!!!!!"

    My Shepherd is also a leaner....all my Shepherds are. It's just what they DO.
    It's not just the giant breeds that do it. My cattle dog does it all the time as well. She thinks she has to stand on me when I'm trying to get up in the morning, lol.


    Shelter dogs aren't broken, they've simply experienced more life then others. Don't pity them...HELP them!

  9. #8
    Senior Member poodleholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gulf Coast of FL
    Posts
    3,700

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Because you let her.....

    its not dominance
    just tell her to stop and don't let her do it if it bothers you
    Well put!


    My male (Standard Poodle) would be in my lap if I let him! LOL He likes to be in touch with me! Seriously, SPoodles are velcro dogs, but easily redirected. Beau had a rough start in life with his original owner, so he was very clingy, and constantly underfoot. Obedience work does wonders to build self confidence. Beau still likes to be close, but 68 lbs. is just too much for a "lap dog," so he's content to lay next to me, sometimes resting his chin on my foot, or across my knee when on the sofa, unless I ask him not to.

  10. #9
    Senior Member GreatDaneMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by poodleholic View Post
    Beau still likes to be close, but 68 lbs. is just too much for a "lap dog," so he's content to lay next to me, sometimes resting his chin on my foot, or across my knee when on the sofa, unless I ask him not to.
    i wish my "lap dog" was only 68lbs. out of both my danes Lexi is the lap dog and of course shes the 120lb (still growing) dane. of course it couldnt have been my small dane! (100lbs) buuuut thats just something you either stop, or learn to love... i guess ive just learned to love LOL
    The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. ~Mark Twain

  11. #10
    Senior Member wvasko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    9,013

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shalva View Post
    Because you let her.....

    its not dominance
    just tell her to stop and don't let her do it if it bothers you
    s
    Well I hate to say anything but I beginning think all these puppies are going to a military school. They have to be picking this dominance program up somewhere.
    Dinosaur Dog Trainer


  12. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Hello..

    We have 4 huskies and one, the alpha female, stands on me while I am sitting down. She only does it when the other dogs are roughhousing and I do believe she thinks she is protecting me. She does bristle at them when they all roughhouse and get near me. She does not do it to anyone else in the family. But then all of them are just about 160 lbs and can hurt me when/if they jump on me. I do not think she does it to show dominance but more of a protection thing. Just my thoughts on the subject.

  13. #12
    Senior Member hulkamaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,997

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shalva View Post
    Because you let her.....

    its not dominance
    just tell her to stop and don't let her do it if it bothers you
    s
    Totally agree. Couldn't put it better.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,850

    Re: Why does my dog stand and lay on us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
    It's not Dominance. It's a Newfie thing :-p

    Lots of the Giant breeds do it. Newfies and Bernese are notorious foot sitters. There're two BMD's at my club...Heidi and Robert...if you say hi to either one, they promptly turn around, sit on your foot, and then stare up at you going "I LUV J00!!!!!"

    My Shepherd is also a leaner....all my Shepherds are. It's just what they DO.
    It's also a Lab thing, a Golden thing, a Great Dane thing, a Rottweiler thing, a Springer Spaniel thing, a Boxer thing, a Weimaraner thing......and those are just the ones I've had personal experience with; the list is by no means exhaustive.

  15. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.