New "agility classes" thread
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 249 of 250 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 247 248 249 250 LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,980 of 4995

Thread: New "agility classes" thread

  1. #4961
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Apparently the new method for teaching me to handle with distance is to pretend everything is a startline with a leadout. It's actually really effective, at least for getting what I need to be doing into my head.

    One more weekend lesson (with Molly) then two weekends in a row of trials. Second trial is just one day and just Kylie but I'm ready to get back to playing, darn it. Also starting practices up again . Not going this week but there will be one next week right before the trial, and thereafter weekly probably until May (last weekend in April is our home trial)
    Last edited by CptJack; 03-13-2017 at 09:47 AM.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements

  3. #4962
    Senior Member Kyllobernese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    I think on the 22nd we will finally be able to get some practice in. It has just been too cold in the arena with going well below freezing at night but they are forecasting a little warmer weather ahead. We had another big dump of snow but we are supposed to get some rain although it did not rain like they said last night it did stay above freezing for the first time this year. Our next trial is on the 22nd of April.

  4. #4963
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    I think we finally have a run that is share worthy, lol! I have finally figured a few things out these past few trials. First I can never let Belle know she has done something wrong without making her totally disengage from me for a bit before she will finish the run. Second we are much more successful at rear crosses than front crosses mostly due to me not being able to get into the right spot without pulling her off. We still have one thing to figure out though, which is our start, we have always struggled here. I do a running start which is fine (she is just not comfortable still with a lead out) however sometimes we don't get quite connected like we need to be. Our standard run was awesome, totally connected and smooth. However the Jumpers for some reason we didn't get the connection at the start and struggled to keep it during the run and she ended up going into the weaves and right back out, the rest was clean but no Q of course. We have been stuck struggling to get that last leg of Excellent jumpers for like a year now!

    Anyway, here is our AKC Masters Standard run from Saturday. We finished 7th out of 12 dogs, I know we need to figure out tighter turns and a faster teeter but that will come, first we need to stay nice and connected like we did here on a consistent manner.



    and our coveted green ribbon!
    2017-03-11_04-42-37 by rzyg, on Flickr

  5. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements

  6. #4964
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    I was introduced to 'reverse flow pivots' today at my agility lesson.

    After staring in complete confusion I learned a new (it's old but new to me) thing! I like it! Also some v-set stuff - which frankly makes more intuitive sense to me.

    ETA: Also, I learned this stuff with MOLLY. We were doing an elite course with some fairly technical (especially for NADAC) stuff on it. Largely successfully. My baby dog is still a baby dog but she has REALLY started growing up agility wise (thank god for private lessons).
    Last edited by CptJack; 03-19-2017 at 09:45 PM.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  7. #4965
    Senior Member ireth0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    We flew like the wind! Guys she went so fast! It's fricking nuts!

    I take back all those times I said she wasn't really an agility kind of dog.



    So amazing how far we've come. Such a good girl.


  8. #4966
    Senior Member cookieface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,145

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    After a few weeks of disappointing classes, Katie was somewhat back to being her normal self on Friday - at least for her first run. Our instructor commented that Katie tends to disengage and shut down after making a mistake and being reset. I get it, I'm not happy about mistakes either. So, next week we're going to run as if everything is perfect - no corrections, no restarts, just run and have fun.

    We have three more classes and then our instructor is retiring from Friday night classes. Not sure what we'll do after that.

    Very nice, dogsule! Congrats on the ribbon!

  9. #4967
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    After a few weeks of disappointing classes, Katie was somewhat back to being her normal self on Friday - at least for her first run. Our instructor commented that Katie tends to disengage and shut down after making a mistake and being reset. I get it, I'm not happy about mistakes either. So, next week we're going to run as if everything is perfect - no corrections, no restarts, just run and have fun.

    We have three more classes and then our instructor is retiring from Friday night classes. Not sure what we'll do after that.

    Very nice, dogsule! Congrats on the ribbon!
    Cookieface...I have that exact same problem with Belle, if we make a mistake and I try to correct it, she totally disengages with me and I have a hard time getting her going again. Has happened in trials several times because of course you always want to correct things. One time though I was in the wrong place and she ended up doing a backside instead of just taking the jump and all in one motion I just turned her around and back over that jump and we finished perfectly. She never knew she made a mistake so she kept going. If she knows she totally stops and then sometimes does her own thing for a bit once we do get going but things are getting better for us.

  10. #4968
    Senior Member ForTheLoveOfDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dogsule View Post
    Congrats! Belle had a great run!

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    I was introduced to 'reverse flow pivots' today at my agility lesson.

    After staring in complete confusion I learned a new (it's old but new to me) thing! I like it! Also some v-set stuff - which frankly makes more intuitive sense to me.

    ETA: Also, I learned this stuff with MOLLY. We were doing an elite course with some fairly technical (especially for NADAC) stuff on it. Largely successfully. My baby dog is still a baby dog but she has REALLY started growing up agility wise (thank god for private lessons).
    Maybe we have a different name for it.. but what exactly is a v-set? Or really reverse flow pivot even. I think I know but there are so many darn names for things.

    Quote Originally Posted by ireth0 View Post
    We flew like the wind! Guys she went so fast! It's fricking nuts!

    I take back all those times I said she wasn't really an agility kind of dog.



    So amazing how far we've come. Such a good girl.
    There are a lot of dogs who trial that barely trot through the whole thing.. that's why there are a bunch of different organizations to play in! People do agility with the dog they have. Luna is definitely not slow and sure looks like "an agility dog" to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    After a few weeks of disappointing classes, Katie was somewhat back to being her normal self on Friday - at least for her first run. Our instructor commented that Katie tends to disengage and shut down after making a mistake and being reset. I get it, I'm not happy about mistakes either. So, next week we're going to run as if everything is perfect - no corrections, no restarts, just run and have fun.

    We have three more classes and then our instructor is retiring from Friday night classes. Not sure what we'll do after that.
    A lot of dogs have this problem. If Ember gets stopped at all for an incorrect obstacle, she will go looking for cookies on the floor.. or go walk through the weave poles. Sounds like a good plan of action. Hopefully you will see improvement soon!

  11. #4969
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfDogs View Post
    Maybe we have a different name for it.. but what exactly is a v-set? Or really reverse flow pivot even. I think I know but there are so many darn names for things.
    I found this site and it is my new favorite thing: https://budhouston.wordpress.com/a-g...agility-terms/ because I suck at explanations.

    They're both basically just ways of changing your dogs path without a side change - for the v-set you find the 'pivot' point in the arc (turn the C or U into a V with the lines you set), pull the dog in further and to that apex and then send onward in a new, straighter, line. Reverse flow pivot is REALLY out of style right now for whatever reason - it's basically two fronts on the flat, immediately. Turn toward the dog as though picking them up with the opposite hand, dog turns, and then you pivot back and keep the dog on the same side you started on (basically changes their path, pulls them in, and can straighten them up or just give you their attention/head)

    They're both (and other similar things with similar intent) proving really handy with Molly, who is STUPID long striding. Pulling her in, having her attention and straightening up her line sometimes, without a side change, is very necessary. Especially since I am often 20 feet behind her when I need to do it.

    And yeah, dogs often have problems being wrong in agility and it's hard. It gets better (usually) with time. Best I can tell you is to make sure you always remember where the 'end is' so you can get out at the exit gate and when it falls apart run that way - happily, taking obstacles as you go. It takes practice to get your own nerves under control but it REALLY helps. (STill hard)
    Last edited by CptJack; 03-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  12. #4970
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    https://www.oneminddogs.com/article/...dling/?lang=en Oh hey, apparently OMD does v-sets and has clearer explanations.

    And a better explanation of RFP http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/tra...ling-moves.htm

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  13. #4971
    Senior Member ForTheLoveOfDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    https://www.oneminddogs.com/article/...dling/?lang=en Oh hey, apparently OMD does v-sets and has clearer explanations.

    And a better explanation of RFP http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/tra...ling-moves.htm
    Oh yes, I've done those. Just didn't know the names. Thanks! OMD needs to video everything and let me have it for a fraction of the price. :P

  14. #4972
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfDogs View Post
    Oh yes, I've done those. Just didn't know the names. Thanks! OMD needs to video everything and let me have it for a fraction of the price. :P
    Man, for real. If I pay for some system's online content it will be them but. Honestly not going to happen :P At least mostly because I'm still NADAC and most systems just do not apply.
    Last edited by CptJack; 03-20-2017 at 05:31 PM.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  15. #4973
    Senior Member ForTheLoveOfDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    Man, for real. If I pay for some system's online content it will be them but. Honestly not going to happen :P At least mostly because I'm still NADAC and most systems just do not apply.
    It is the only system I would pay for as well. OMD just.. makes the most sense. Simple but effective. NADAC is definitely a strange one to me.. but I love that they don't have teeters. More organizations should not have teeters because so many great dogs are just flat out afraid of them.

  16. #4974
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfDogs View Post
    It is the only system I would pay for as well. OMD just.. makes the most sense. Simple but effective. NADAC is definitely a strange one to me.. but I love that they don't have teeters. More organizations should not have teeters because so many great dogs are just flat out afraid of them.
    Yep agreed. I'd be more willing to do more venus with either no teeters or teeters that are visually different to the dog than the up ramp of the dog walk.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  17. #4975
    Senior Member gingerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    6,194

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    I wish no teeters was a thing here! :'(

  18. #4976
    Senior Member cookieface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,145

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gingerkid View Post
    I wish no teeters was a thing here! :'(
    For sure. I hold my breath watching dogs on it. So many seem to turn and, from where I'm sitting, nearly get smacked in the head.

    Katie had teeter issues for a while, but I think her problem was that she liked jumping off in the middle so she had more time to goof around.

  19. #4977
    Senior Member gingerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    6,194

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Class update: last night was our last class for a while, and we learned serps. Or rather, I learned serps and Ida showed me up by doing the pattern on each run and then also (without being asked) doing it perfectly on the way back to the start. Show off.

  20. #4978
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    For sure. I hold my breath watching dogs on it. So many seem to turn and, from where I'm sitting, nearly get smacked in the head.
    I've also seen small and inexperienced dogs get confused and try to 2o2o on it, or even be slow in leaving, get LAUNCHED because they're not heavy enough for half their body to keep it down.

    Never mind all the plain fly straight off the end before it even tips of dogs mistaking it for the dog walk upramp.

    No, thank you. Now that the chute is gone the teeter remains as the only thing about AKC I'm not willing to have my dogs do. Of course the only equipment differences are now the teeter, table, and tire, and that our dogwalk and a-frame are rubberized (and, okay, hoops and barrels which are easy -NADAC got rid of gates which closed that difference even more)

    But I am NOT doing teeters because they scare ME.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  21. #4979
    Senior Member ForTheLoveOfDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    Never mind all the plain fly straight off the end before it even tips of dogs mistaking it for the dog walk upramp.

    No, thank you. Now that the chute is gone the teeter remains as the only thing about AKC I'm not willing to have my dogs do. Of course the only equipment differences are now the teeter, table, and tire, and that our dogwalk and a-frame are rubberized (and, okay, hoops and barrels which are easy -NADAC got rid of gates which closed that difference even more)

    But I am NOT doing teeters because they scare ME.
    Both of my dogs have done the bolded part. Neither are afraid of the teeter.. but every once in a long while they mistake the teeter for the walk or something and go flying. Sigh. I always make sure I'm right next to teeters to tell them "EASY" when they are ramped. I don't care if I don't get distance on them, really. I mostly feel bad for my classmates/fellow agility people who have dogs that won't go on or near them.

    Although not sure what you mean by rubberized dog walk/A-frame. All of them have that rubbery stuff on them.. they are just painted.
    Last edited by ForTheLoveOfDogs; 03-22-2017 at 01:44 PM.

  22. #4980
    Senior Member CptJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,455

    Re: New "agility classes" thread

    Bug did the bolded thing in class ONCE and that was kind of it for me, re Teeters, especially since I can't TELL her anything. Kylie'd be okay. Molly scares me I just. It's a thing.

    Nadac are rubberized in a particular way. With ship belting, actually from the company shipp belting (because of course). It's actually rubber and there are no slats. Good grip up and down and actually almost padded. Or very, very slightly padded.
    Last edited by CptJack; 03-22-2017 at 01:27 PM.

    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

  23. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.