Vaccines in puppies...
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Vaccines in puppies...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Vaccines in puppies...

    So, I may be missing something, but I have been wondering this for a few days so I figured I'd ask about it to see if anyone had the answer for me.

    Puppies get about three sets of shots to make sure they get them right after their mom's immunity wears off, since we don't know for sure when that window ends... correct? Moving on...

    We don't take puppies out in public because we don't want to risk them getting parvo, distemper, etc. in case the shots they have didn't take because they were immune and then the immunity wore off and they still don't have them, etc...

    So if we're not taking puppies out and exposing them to these things to prevent it, why are we even bothering to vaccinate at 8 and 12/13 weeks? Why not just wait until 16 weeks when they'd get the last shot and then take them out? It seems like a waste of money and their bodies. I wouldn't want to vaccinate my puppy more than was neccessary, and this just doesn't seem necessary...

    Ideas?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member JulieK1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    844

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    My understanding is that the early shots prepare the immune system and may provide some protection in some puppies. My girl ended up getting four and if I'd known that the most important one was at 16+ weeks, we could have avoided one of interim jabs.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16,402

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    I suppose it's done in the hopes that it'll give them some immunity, just in case. But I'm sure some people don't vaccinate at all until 16 weeks. To be honest, I rarely vaccinate kittens until they're spayed/neutered, which my vet prefers to do at 5 months, but sometimes I can get him to do it at 4 months. And so far I haven't had any trouble doing that. But the diseases cats are vaccinated against aren't nearly as fatal as distemper and parvo (except panleuk, and it's pretty rare), I'm not sure I'd want to take that kind of risk with those diseases.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Kyllobernese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,857

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    I have always been led to believe that they need the "series" of shots and that each shot should be given at slightly less than a month apart to be effective to build up their immunity. I don't know if that is true or not.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
    I have always been led to believe that they need the "series" of shots and that each shot should be given at slightly less than a month apart to be effective to build up their immunity. I don't know if that is true or not.
    No. I was led to believe the same thing by numerous vets, nut doing research on it proves that they don't boost each other in any way, they're just waiting for mom's immunity to wear off so that the vaccine will take, but they don't know when that is.

  7. #6
    Senior Member melaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    1,434

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Maybe because puppies don't live in a bubble? Some people are probably very good at keeping their pups from being exposed to bad things, but I don't think the general public is as cautious as people here. So, vets do what they can to get the vaccines to take as early as possible to give the average puppy the best chance of survival. Just recently, I saw someone walking a 12-week-old puppy at the state park. I tried to politely talk about how I carried Buff everywhere outside of home until she had her last set of shots, but the person insisted it was fine to let the dog walk around anywhere.

    Also, some of us choose to do "risky" things such as taking puppies to socialization as young as 8-12 weeks old. I wanted my dog to have the shots at that time just in case (I think we started socialization classes at 14 weeks).

    Mina - 17 years | Buffy CGC - 4 years | Zero RIP (6.12.2013)

  8. #7
    Senior Member ember's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Posts
    362

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Yes, I always seem to find out about these things after its all said and done. -.- I wish I had waited, but the shelter had already given her one of the "series" of shots so I thought it was better to go ahead and get it all over and done with. She just had her 3rd DA2PP shot last week along with her rabies shot(caved to pressure and mom just wanted to leave). Anyways, that all went terribly wrong. She had a bad reaction of bumps(puss filled!) on her belly, a large quarter size bump on her rear, along with one of her eyes watering again! I could beat myself. Now the vet wants her to come in for the 4th round of DA2PP(has anyone ever heard of this?). I don't think I'm going to risk it though. Anyways, now she's all cleared up but I'm still mad at myself. This is my first pup and I want to do everything right...

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by ember View Post
    Yes, I always seem to find out about these things after its all said and done. -.- I wish I had waited, but the shelter had already given her one of the "series" of shots so I thought it was better to go ahead and get it all over and done with. She just had her 3rd DA2PP shot last week along with her rabies shot(caved to pressure and mom just wanted to leave). Anyways, that all went terribly wrong. She had a bad reaction of bumps(puss filled!) on her belly, a large quarter size bump on her rear, along with one of her eyes watering again! I could beat myself. Now the vet wants her to come in for the 4th round of DA2PP(has anyone ever heard of this?). I don't think I'm going to risk it though. Anyways, now she's all cleared up but I'm still mad at myself. This is my first pup and I want to do everything right...
    How old is she? If she's over 16 weeks she does NOT need another da2pp shot.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,942

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    This is an interesting discussion.

    First what I have learned is that an animal's immune system develops and matures just like its other systems such as its digestive sytem or cardiovascular system. Most dog's immune system has gained full maturity and development by 6 months of age.

    Vaccination for distemper and parvo should be done at 9 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Taking a puppy 6 weeks old to the vet means 30% of puppies are protected (Mother's antibodies) from Parvo but 100% will be exposed to the virus at the vet's office... so waiting to take a puppy for shots until 8-9 weeks is OK to do.

    Now, Dr. Jean Dodd's is far and wide known for her vaccination study on vaccinations and on rabies vaccination in particular (rabies challenge fund)and she has ascertained a dog gets its initial 3 shot series and then should get a shot the next year and then should have immunity that is maintained for 7.5-15 years. Of course, you need to take titers to determine if immunity is present.. and the issue with titers is that it shows there has been an immune response, not whether or not that response would be enough to kick the disease to the curb if the animal were exposed.

    Meanwhile, going back to the original question.. you give the vaccines at the above interval to protect the puppy even marginally if the puppy is not protected by the Mother's antibodies. You do it because while 16 weeks the dog is clear of maternal antibodies and now can have an appropriate immune response to the vaccine, for some dogs that same threshold is 12 weeks.

    You do it because you are working with a developing immune system and do not know precisely where you are in that development.

    You do it because if it protects your dog that is way way WAY cheaper and safer than treating for Parvo or Distemper.

    You do it because most of us take our dog to puppy class at less than 16 weeks old and most of us need to socilaize our dog before 16 weeks old and so we grasp for even minimal immnne response.

    You do it because it is the best you can do for your dog.

    and when it comes to rabies you do it for issues having to do with Public Health.

  11. #10
    Senior Member ember's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Posts
    362

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
    How old is she? If she's over 16 weeks she does NOT need another da2pp shot.
    16 weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elana55 View Post
    This is an interesting discussion.

    First what I have learned is that an animal's immune system develops and matures just like its other systems such as its digestive sytem or cardiovascular system. Most dog's immune system has gained full maturity and development by 6 months of age.

    Vaccination for distemper and parvo should be done at 9 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Taking a puppy 6 weeks old to the vet means 30% of puppies are protected (Mother's antibodies) from Parvo but 100% will be exposed to the virus at the vet's office... so waiting to take a puppy for shots until 8-9 weeks is OK to do.

    Now, Dr. Jean Dodd's is far and wide known for her vaccination study on vaccinations and on rabies vaccination in particular (rabies challenge fund)and she has ascertained a dog gets its initial 3 shot series and then should get a shot the next year and then should have immunity that is maintained for 7.5-15 years. Of course, you need to take titers to determine if immunity is present.. and the issue with titers is that it shows there has been an immune response, not whether or not that response would be enough to kick the disease to the curb if the animal were exposed.

    Meanwhile, going back to the original question.. you give the vaccines at the above interval to protect the puppy even marginally if the puppy is not protected by the Mother's antibodies. You do it because while 16 weeks the dog is clear of maternal antibodies and now can have an appropriate immune response to the vaccine, for some dogs that same threshold is 12 weeks.

    You do it because you are working with a developing immune system and do not know precisely where you are in that development.

    You do it because if it protects your dog that is way way WAY cheaper and safer than treating for Parvo or Distemper.

    You do it because most of us take our dog to puppy class at less than 16 weeks old and most of us need to socilaize our dog before 16 weeks old and so we grasp for even minimal immnne response.

    You do it because it is the best you can do for your dog.

    and when it comes to rabies you do it for issues having to do with Public Health.
    Its just I wish that I had chosen to wait on the rabies at least a week after the DA2PP shots. Not together. I think that's why she had such a bad reaction.

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Elana, great post.

    Quote Originally Posted by ember View Post
    Its just I wish that I had chosen to wait on the rabies at least a week after the DA2PP shots. Not together. I think that's why she had such a bad reaction.
    Most likely. I will never give multiple vaccines at the same time for this reason.

  13. #12
    Senior Member sassafras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,029

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Because maternal immunity wears off at different times in different individuals. Since we don't know for an individual puppy when that happens, giving a series of boosters is meant to protect any given puppy whether it loses maternal immunity "early", "late", or somewhere in between.

    ETA: The going out in public thing has been discussed many times, but in my area at least I'm not a huge fan of isolating puppies, anyway.
    Last edited by sassafras; 07-22-2011 at 02:32 PM.

  14. #13
    Senior Member JulieK1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    844

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
    How old is she? If she's over 16 weeks she does NOT need another da2pp shot.
    Why not? My understanding is that the most important booster is at 16+ weeks.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Crantastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Posts
    5,867

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by ember View Post
    Its just I wish that I had chosen to wait on the rabies at least a week after the DA2PP shots. Not together. I think that's why she had such a bad reaction.
    Yeah, I always do rabies a month after the other shots, which my vet agreed is a good idea.

    I would also never get shots done at the same time as any kind of surgery. I just feel that it's a lot for a dog's body to handle at once, and I'd rather they only have to recover from one thing at a time.

    Crystal the Papillon and Casper the Alaskan Klee Kai

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,942

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
    Because maternal immunity wears off at different times in different individuals. Since we don't know for an individual puppy when that happens, giving a series of boosters is meant to protect any given puppy whether it loses maternal immunity "early", "late", or somewhere in between.

    ETA: The going out in public thing has been discussed many times, but in my area at least I'm not a huge fan of isolating puppies, anyway.
    Precisely what my vet has said.

    He also said that in his years in practice he has never had a case of Parvo or Distemper that a dog picked up at Puppy Classes (I ask a LOT of questions.. )

  17. #16
    Senior Member lisahi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    421

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Ah well... I'm going to get paranoid now.

    Coco had her 3rd set of shots at a little over 13 weeks. And she had her rabies shot at the same time. She had no adverse reaction to any of her shots (except her first set--she had some loss of appetite, but not that bad). This was the timeline set by my vet (the best vet in town, actually). I'm not sure if they have that same timeline for all puppies, or just my puppy. I even asked about getting her rabies shot at 13 weeks and the vet said any time after 12 weeks was fine.

    Coco is just fine. She goes for walks in my apartment complex. She's healthy and playful. Eats well. She's now coming up on 16 weeks on Wednesday. I have to board her at the vet next week because I'm going out of town for work. Should I ask about booster shots?

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    I already responded on the other forum, but one thing I have noticed that make no sense to me is ADULTS being given the puppy series. it seems to be common is rescue, is they get in a 3-4 year old dog, dont know its vaccine history so they give the dogs the whole puppy series??! I have yet to see anyone question this practice, and it makes me scratch my head!

  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bugs View Post
    I already responded on the other forum, but one thing I have noticed that make no sense to me is ADULTS being given the puppy series. it seems to be common is rescue, is they get in a 3-4 year old dog, dont know its vaccine history so they give the dogs the whole puppy series??! I have yet to see anyone question this practice, and it makes me scratch my head!
    I don't get this either and I've been bringing it up to my boss a lot lately as we do this at our shelter. (and the one where I previously worked) It makes no sense to me.

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16,402

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    My vet doesn't . Only one shot for adult animals.

  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    7,726

    Re: Vaccines in puppies...

    Quote Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
    My vet doesn't . Only one shot for adult animals.
    Mine either, but we were talking about rescues doing it.

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.