HELP! Is Bone Meal poisonous? First Aid? is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HELP! Is Bone Meal poisonous? First Aid?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006

    HELP! Is Bone Meal poisonous? First Aid?

    One of either a Collie or a Malmute consumed at least a few cupfuls of bone meal fertilizer (for the garden) today. The bag is thrashed (I can't read the warnings, ingredients, etc.). Should I be worried? Do I need to go see the vet? Or will they just hurl and, uhh, empty themselves and be done with it?

    Thanks much,
    - Crosby

  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    Member Sister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I did a quick search on the internet and didn't really see anything to cause me alarm. I'd just keep a close eye on them!

  4. #3
    Senior Member opokki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Since it was a few cupfuls, I would at least give the vet a call...just to be safe.

    I found this article:
    Hidden dangers for your dog
    Garden bone meal - provided that it does not contain fertiliser or insecticides - can cause gastrointestinal upset even when eaten in small amounts. Large quantities can produce a blockage of the bowel. If you are gardening with bone meal, the smell can attract the interest of "dogs that dig", which may be unfortunate if what you are planting is toxic, such as daffodil or autumn crocus bulbs. Snacking from the compost heap can cause illness - the moulds in decaying compost can produce vomiting, twitching, tremors and worse.

    Natalie, CGC, TDI

  5. Remove Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Similar Threads

  1. Bone cancer in large dogs
    By Erin in forum Dog Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
  2. Bone Cancer
    By invstbiker in forum Dog Health Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 03:35 PM
  3. Are Mushrooms poisonous?
    By d6rth7ader in forum Dog Health Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.