possible miscarriage?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: possible miscarriage?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    possible miscarriage?

    hi, i have a 4 year old jack russell who we mated 8 days ago and today she has what appears to be a diluted blood staining on her bedding and this evening several drops of blood on the floor, she is such an active girl that getting her to settle and rest is impossible but she is very well in herself no temperature or signs of upset but i am concerned that she is at early stages of miscarriage. I have never known or witnessed this before do these signs seem familiar to anyone out there and any first hand advice and information is appreciated, i know a visit to the vet is my first thing to do but that cannot happen until 9 in morning as we live in rural spain with no emergency services
    i hope i am wrong on this one but all feedback welcome thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Wimble Woof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I'm from the country and I like it that way
    Posts
    1,617

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    and what has your mentor said? I assume you are working with another breeder on this one?
    Perhaps by now though you have been to the vet.


    "Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes."
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

  4. #3
    Senior Member borzoimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,826

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by quadder View Post
    hi, i have a 4 year old jack russell who we mated 8 days ago and today she has what appears to be a diluted blood staining on her bedding and this evening several drops of blood on the floor, she is such an active girl that getting her to settle and rest is impossible but she is very well in herself no temperature or signs of upset but i am concerned that she is at early stages of miscarriage. I have never known or witnessed this before do these signs seem familiar to anyone out there and any first hand advice and information is appreciated, i know a visit to the vet is my first thing to do but that cannot happen until 9 in morning as we live in rural spain with no emergency services
    i hope i am wrong on this one but all feedback welcome thanks
    *8 days after breeding is the cervix closing releasing remaining blood from the uterus- totally normal... Do not worry...
    The cervix closes when pregnant- this is actually a good sign!
    Last edited by borzoimom; 05-28-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #4
    Senior Member Snowshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    The cervix closes when pregnant- this is actually a good sign!
    I guess that is a matter of opinion.

    1) this person obviously needs to go to a vet
    2) this person is not knowledgeable enough about breeding to be breeding. I can only imagine what will happen if the dog has complications while in whelp.
    3) if this person had a mentor, they would not be asking these questions
    4) there are a million JRTs in the pound right now. Most probably came from back yard breeders (like the OP) and puppy mills.

    So, I actually don't see it as a good sign that the dog is pregnant.

  6. #5
    Senior Member borzoimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,826

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    The thing is though- when a female accepts the male, she is still in season. This is also why a female can have several fathers to the pups. Females can stay in season for as long as 30 days. Usually 28 but I have seen 30. Also when the cervix closes- it starts to finish the heat.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wellington, KS
    Posts
    17

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    ok i totally agree with borzoimom on this one, because when a small dog is pregnent there is LOTS of cases in small dogs that they bleed a little bit, once the body is starting the process of a pregnency! IF however your dog did expierence a miscarrge, your dog would of probably seemed under the weather for several weeks, the swelling of the stomach will stop and she may excrete waste from her uterus, depending on the stage of pregnancy witch in your case was 8 days? Fever, sickness and tiredness may accompany these symptoms too. You said she is a very hiper dog & was fine till it happend? I doubt this was a misarrage but I would thoroughly recommend a check-up by a vet!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I guess that is a matter of opinion.

    1) this person obviously needs to go to a vet
    2) this person is not knowledgeable enough about breeding to be breeding. I can only imagine what will happen if the dog has complications while in whelp. I think you have no right to say if this person is ready to breed a dog or not, the BEST way to learn is to learn from hands on expierence, you can read books, watch videos, & look up infomation till you are blue in the face. Im sure even YOU have had your first breeding & that would of made you new to the process too right? & if you havent then you have no room to talk really!
    3) if this person had a mentor, they would not be asking these questions She can ask ALL the questions she wants, & we may even be her mentor you never know. & right now you are being a bad one in my opinion, It better to ask some dog people then to just assume!
    4) there are a million JRTs in the pound right now. Most probably came from back yard breeders (like the OP) and puppy mills. Ya that is true, i agree but if this person wants to breed it is her right, you have no reason to tell her not to!

    So, I actually don't see it as a good sign that the dog is pregnant. I HOPE she is!
    I have bred pitbulls, boxers, rots & labs. I 100% agree that there is ALOT of good puppies & dogs in the pounds that are getting put to sleep EVERYDAY! Please by all means if your dog isnt pregnent check the shelters instead of making more dogs. If you are planning on selling the pups, make absolute sure you have the peoples addresses & numbers & even learn a little about them, visit their home, get to know them... so you KNOW you are giving each pup to a good home, & NOT to a person that will neglect them, fight them or abuse them! With my pitbull pups i have to be extra carful who i sell the puppies too! It is all a long, hard, exausting process, but seeing the puppies go to good homes in the end, is worth every while!
    but...
    but...
    but...
    but...
    but...

    Check with a VET & let us know!

  8. #7
    Super Moderator RonE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, WI
    Posts
    10,253

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Pitbull_lover09, your multi-colored post is very hard to read, but I think I disagree.

    Some things are best learned with practice and trial-and-error. Breeding dogs isn't one of them. Actually, there is no good reason for most of us to EVER learn about breeding dogs. It's not essential that we have a first experience with it. To that end, I have my dogs spayed or neutered and, when I'm looking for a new one, I go to the shelter.

    You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Mine just happens to disagree with yours. That's okay, but please lose the purple font so I can at least make sure I'm reading yours correctly.

    Thanks.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Snowshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonE View Post

    Some things are best learned with practice and trial-and-error. Breeding dogs isn't one of them. Actually, there is no good reason for most of us to EVER learn about breeding dogs.
    Thanks, RonE. That's pretty much what I was trying to get across. I just didn't appreciate the semi-personal attacks.

    If I personally attacked everyone that I disagreed with on this board, I'd have been banned long ago...

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wellington, KS
    Posts
    17

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Thanks, RonE. That's pretty much what I was trying to get across. I just didn't appreciate the semi-personal attacks.

    If I personally attacked everyone that I disagreed with on this board, I'd have been banned long ago...
    Well really i was JUST stating my OPINION so i dont really get why your making a big fuss out of nothing but whatever I dont really care. anyways... sence this is NOT about if people should be breeding or not breeding i have answered the persons question so im done here. for all the people who cant read this, it sounds like a personal problem. Have a good day, i hope i have answered your question

  11. #10
    Senior Member Cassie Nova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,045

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull_lover09 View Post
    for all the people who cant read this, it sounds like a personal problem
    If you can't make your font easy for people to read, that is one skill you lack in communication. I won't get into the others.

    Now, to the OP, I don't understand why you're breeding your dog, nor do I think it's a good idea. Last but not least, your dog should have her hips and eyes checked and have some sort of certification to show it. Now, you should be working with an experienced breeder to improve the breed.

    But, since it's already said and done....
    see a vet immediately.
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/rockxthisxcountry/Cassie/cassiecartoon.gif

    Jenna, owned by:
    Cassie, Border Collie mix
    Scamp, Bichon Frise/Toy Poodle mix

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    north central Washington
    Posts
    396

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    I don't remember the op asking if she should breed. She is concerned about her dog and was just asking some simple questions. Some never just answer a question they add the.. you don't know enough about it,there are too many dogs in the pound etc to each of these posters that are wanting answers to questions. I understand that you are passionate about the subject but really... Just my opinion

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wellington, KS
    Posts
    17

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by squirt1968 View Post
    I don't remember the op asking if she should breed. She is concerned about her dog and was just asking some simple questions. Some never just answer a question they add the.. you don't know enough about it,there are too many dogs in the pound etc to each of these posters that are wanting answers to questions. I understand that you are passionate about the subject but really... Just my opinion
    I TOTALLY agree with you Squirt1968, im glad at least someone gets me! It seems a lot of these posters in here are here to just argue about their opinions witch is really ridicules! & to go after how I communicate? haha haha I think they should have a cretin age for forums or at LEAST some real knowledge of the question asked or how to answer them correctly without a crazy childish fight. I suggest the poster of this forum close it or have someone else do it because I & borzoimom have already pretty much answered THE question Quadder asked, not if they should breed or not, she didnít even ASK that, so WHY state it in the fourm? My color people can read just maybe some people need glasses.

  14. #13
    Senior Member sillylilykitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    4,043

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    There are people of all ages on this forum and I think that is the best way to have it. Dont get mad because someone posts their opinion, thats the only thing people can do on a forum. Some people just feel they need to speak for the animals, dogs cant speak human languages after all.
    Lily- 7 1/2 year old Siamese cat
    Luna- 4 year old Catahoula Leopard Dog mix


  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wellington, KS
    Posts
    17

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by sillylilykitty View Post
    There are people of all ages on this forum and I think that is the best way to have it. Dont get mad because someone posts their opinion, thats the only thing people can do on a forum. Some people just feel they need to speak for the animals, dogs cant speak human languages after all.
    I agree a LITTLE (but like you said its peoples OPINIONS) I do admit I got upset because poor Quadder was just trying to ask a question about the problem she was having with her dog & Snowshoe started hounding her about breeding, witch had nothing to even DO with the question she asked. I donít care about opinions, its is everyoneís given right, but donít make a BIG deal about it to satisfy your own self pity, its just dumb. Oh well, I think that is how ALL forums go on now for some reason! What happend to everyone being nice & just simply ANSWERING the question?

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    north central Washington
    Posts
    396

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Pitbull I do find your purple hard to read and the orange I caan only read a little and eye strain sets in and I skip over the rest. Sorry but the black is easier on the eyes

  17. #16
    Senior Member borzoimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,826

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Okay- I am trying to figure out what is going on here. True- the font color is hard for me to read too- but I do not understand what that has to do with a dog still bleeding. ..
    So- without much further ado- To answer the question. A female dog can be in heat for up to 28 days. I am assuming she was bred about uh day 11 or so.. The female is still in heat so that is the light colored blood, that dries almost clear, and the darker blood is the uterus cleaning out, and the cervix closing with retained blood that was there from earlier in the heat, being expelled ( sort of like endometriosis in a woman..)
    I have been in dogs since I was born- into a dog showing/breeding family, even having my own dog for competition when I was a junior at 8 years old. That is now one year shy of 40 years. My post is not a off handed response- its by expericence in breeding/showing etc in dogs.. YOu can easily call the vet to verify what I am saying , but I have had several litters.. And its always the same pattern. And since every litter I ever had was back to a champion dog, I use to look for this sign as the first indicator of pregnancy..

  18. #17
    Super Moderator RonE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, WI
    Posts
    10,253

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    What's going on here, at least in my case, is a response to a response. I wasn't personally responding to the OP. The cow's already out of the barn on that one. I was responding to pit-lover's statement that everyone starts somewhere with breeding dogs. I disagree.

    The opinion about the font color was a polite request. That's all.

  19. #18
    Senior Member borzoimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,826

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonE View Post
    What's going on here, at least in my case, is a response to a response. I wasn't personally responding to the OP. The cow's already out of the barn on that one. I was responding to pit-lover's statement that everyone starts somewhere with breeding dogs. I disagree.

    The opinion about the font color was a polite request. That's all.
    LOL - cow out of the barn.. lol.. and you are right- breeding takes alot of learning, research etc. I know I studied for YEARS before having my first litter on my own.. lol.. and I had been showing dogs for years before that.. lol.
    However- everyone does have a starting point. However- my opinions of why the question was asked aside, I am just trying to answer the question - thats all. You obviously also know how serious it is to have the research done first what to expect on *should your dog be bred- have you done all the gentic testings with successful results in those areas*how to pick a sire and is your female a good example of the breed * how to breed- what is a good breeding* what changes will the female have in her body* what are her requirements for a safe delivery both for her and her pups* do you have the time to do a litter and the commitment to make well socialized healthy pup * do you really have the money to do this- knowing that a c section ( expensive) etc could easily happen- are you financially prepared?* do you have set homes for the pups beforehand ( I never bred unless all those questions were answered and done- and good homes picked out already- always had a waiting list of carefully screened people..etc). * and in the event you have a pup that will need more care than the others- are you willing to keep that pup for life- over even the one that could be a champion.. * etc etc etc..

  20. #19
    Senior Member Snowshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: possible miscarriage?

    For the record, I don't like that Pitbull insinuated that I was "dumb." I think it's extremely uncalled for, especially on a public forum where we do have people of all ages that come here.

  21. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.