Dog with Toe growth
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dog with Toe growth

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Dog with Toe growth

    Hi All,

    This is my first post here. I have a 7 year old lab/Shepard mix with a small growth on his rear paw. The growth is protruding just above the outside of the paw and above the pad. the growth has been there for about 2 years but has not effected the dogs movement. Lately we have been taking the dog out for long walks because of the great weather. The growth must have been knocked because it bleeds when he runs on hard surfaces intermediately.

    My vet wants to either excise the growth, but said that since it is on the toe and is near the pad she might have to amputate the toe. They said that this would cost $850. My only issue with this is that it doesn't bother my dog at all per say, just that it wont heal and keeps bleeding.

    Anything I can do to "heal" the growth, shrink it or help it to stop bleeding without removing the toe and doing surgery?
    Last edited by rcantor; 07-15-2009 at 02:08 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member LuvmyRotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Halton Hills, Ontario
    Posts
    926

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    Quote Originally Posted by rcantor View Post
    Hi All,

    Anything I can do to "heal" the growth, shrink it or help it to stop bleeding without removing the toe and doing surgery?
    Did you ask your vet this question? I'm sure if there was an alternative he/she would have suggested it. One of our dogs had to have his toe amputated and lived a normal life after - running and playing. Losing the toe was far better then being uncomfortable.

    You could always get a second opinion from another vet. Hope your pooch feels better.


    RIP - Jake (1995-2007) Rottweiler
    A dog wags it's tail with it's heart .

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyRotti View Post
    Did you ask your vet this question? I'm sure if there was an alternative he/she would have suggested it. One of our dogs had to have his toe amputated and lived a normal life after - running and playing. Losing the toe was far better then being uncomfortable.

    You could always get a second opinion from another vet. Hope your pooch feels better.
    The vet did say that we could try Cortisone cream to reduce the swelling an possibly cure it from bleeding at times, but it could never heal properly.

  5. #4
    Senior Member LuvmyRotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Halton Hills, Ontario
    Posts
    926

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    What kind of growth is it? Has the vet ruled out anything serious?

    If so, you could always try the cortisone cream first - although the cortisone cream would be a short term solution? If your dog is only 7, this is something he would have to continue taking the rest of his life - I also don't think you can take cortisone cream for that long. Surgery may still be your best long term solution.

    Depending on your relationship with your vet, if you like/him her, I would get another opinion.


    RIP - Jake (1995-2007) Rottweiler
    A dog wags it's tail with it's heart .

  6. #5
    Junior Member captain_morgan1456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    We have seen this alot at my vets office. I would suggest just amputating it, I'm sure it is bothersome to her and when it bleeds it may/maynot hurt but you need to keep it clean to keep it from getting infected. If I were you I would get it amputated, Because also as the dog gets older she may get arthritic problems, So i would not chance it. Plus dogs have pretty good balance, so i'm pretty sure she would be ok without one toe(pad). Good Luck.

  7. #6
    Senior Member agility collie mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    I agree with amputating the toe. The cost of the surgery may seem high now but, consider how many times you will have to return to your vet to have this toe treated and the comfort of your dog. (What if it becomes infected or abscesses and needs emergency treatment on a holiday or weekend. You could possibly come close to that amount in emergency fees.) Any dog that has had a toe amputated at the clinic have done just fine. Good luck to you in whatever you decide is best for you and your dog. One more thought: your dog is fairly young now surgery would be easier now, waiting until he is older and has to have it removed would make the surgery riskier.
    Last edited by agility collie mom; 07-16-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    "Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    Do you think that the quote he gave us is okay? I mean $850 to amputate a toe seems like a lot.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    I agree with most in the decision to amputate the toe. If you think your vet is gouging you, find a new vet. You need to trust the person who is performing surgery on your pet.

    Remember, as simple as a toe amputation may seem. Your dog still needs to be anesthetized with expensive drugs and monitored with expensive equipment. Plus this is not a 30 minute yearly exam. Dogs must be prep-ed for surgery, have surgery, and recover from anesthesia, it all take a ton of vet and nurse time. There are also pain meds post-op, and pre-op blood-work to make sure you dog is heathy enough to be put under anesthesia. Would you like your vet to not use one or more of these precautions so it is cheaper for you?

    Also, the $850 may be the high estimate. Many vets will give the high end so people don't complain about the price when they pick-up their pet. You might walk in that day to pick up and be pleasantly surprised to see you bill is $750 or lower!

    Love and Luck,
    Jenna

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    It's never a bad idea to get a few more opinions. If the concensus is that surgery is needed, getting a few quotes on the surgery would be a good idea, too. Vet vary wildly in their pricing.
    "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
    Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Re: Dog with Toe growth

    Quote Originally Posted by JennaSuzanna View Post
    I agree with most in the decision to amputate the toe. If you think your vet is gouging you, find a new vet. You need to trust the person who is performing surgery on your pet.

    Remember, as simple as a toe amputation may seem. Your dog still needs to be anesthetized with expensive drugs and monitored with expensive equipment. Plus this is not a 30 minute yearly exam. Dogs must be prep-ed for surgery, have surgery, and recover from anesthesia, it all take a ton of vet and nurse time. There are also pain meds post-op, and pre-op blood-work to make sure you dog is heathy enough to be put under anesthesia. Would you like your vet to not use one or more of these precautions so it is cheaper for you?

    Also, the $850 may be the high estimate. Many vets will give the high end so people don't complain about the price when they pick-up their pet. You might walk in that day to pick up and be pleasantly surprised to see you bill is $750 or lower!

    Love and Luck,
    Jenna
    Whoa calm down over there. I am just asking about pricing, because I have never had to go through something like this with my dog and $850 is a lot of money right now. Sure I want the best for my dog, but its very expensive.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.