Raisins
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Raisins

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    27

    Raisins

    Are raisins really toxic to dogs? Mine eat them all the time.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10

    Re: Raisins

    Yes they are toxic but it is a cumulative effect. The toxins in raisins build up in the kidneys. Many times you won't see the effects until there is actual kidney failure. The time is affected by the size of the dog, it's overall health and how many raisins you feed.

    I would suggest finding another healthier treat for your dogs.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    256

    Re: Raisins

    raw sliced carrots, or baby carrots can be a good low-cal yummy treat, if you want to stay with something like that

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,446

    Re: Raisins

    Good advice and suggestions given. Forget the raisins and the grapes. Another "treat" would be green beans (if canned.. No salt).

    Here's a list of foods potentially poisonous to pets

    http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/pr...s_to_pets.html
    Patt
    Gracie, Blk/Wht Boston Terrier, Joey (Tan/Wht Chihuahua),
    Fritz (Long hair Blk/Tan Dachshund), Trixie (Smooth Blk/Tan Dachshund

  6. #5
    Senior Member Ginny01OT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,888

    Re: Raisins

    Raisons, grapes, wine, perhaps prunes--stay away from they are toxic to dogs

  7. #6
    Senior Member sillylilykitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    4,043

    Re: Raisins

    Stop feeding your dogs raisins ASAP! Raisins cause kidney failure.
    Lily- 7 1/2 year old Siamese cat
    Luna- 4 year old Catahoula Leopard Dog mix


  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    27

    Re: Raisins

    Thanks so much!! They always pick the up after y babies drop them. That wont happen anymore!! Thank you so much!!

  9. #8
    Senior Member AkiraleShiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    1,351

    Re: Raisins

    In my vet manual it is even written to make the dog vomit if they eat grapes/raisins as they could be fatal.

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: Raisins

    Raisins are very toxic. If you fed your dog raisins you may have already caused chronic kidney renal failure. It slowly causes dogs to die from toxicity in their blood. That is why your dog continues to eat tasty raisins yet can be dying inside. It is still a mystery why it happens.Stop feeding grapes and raisins. If you want to know if you dog has kidney failure you need to have a special blood test for BUN and creatine. If it comes up positive at least you know you need to put your dog on a special diet. If it is negative you are lucky. Kidney failure has no symptoms until it is too late. That is why you wouldn't know raisins are like poison.
    My dog has kidney failure so I know fom experience.
    Good luck to all

  11. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.