What's wrong with him!? Please help.
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    74

    Question What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    ....he's feeling better!
    Last edited by LoveLost; 08-30-2007 at 04:31 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member DogsforMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    I sorry about your dogs condition & don't know what it could be, only to say my 14 y/o Border Collie does the same thing with her legs, she doesn't seem to know where they are, twists around, looses her balance & falls over. She's also lost all the muscles she used to have in her back end. My dog's old & arthritic, on painkillers, cartrophin injections & Sasha's Blend. I would have thought that arthritis would show up on x-rays.
    [

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    74

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by DogsforMe View Post
    I sorry about your dogs condition & don't know what it could be, only to say my 14 y/o Border Collie does the same thing with her legs, she doesn't seem to know where they are, twists around, looses her balance & falls over. She's also lost all the muscles she used to have in her back end. My dog's old & arthritic, on painkillers, cartrophin injections & Sasha's Blend. I would have thought that arthritis would show up on x-rays.
    That is what I thought as well. They said as bad as he is, if it was arthritis is would have shown at least a little on all the x-rays they have done. They've pretty much x-rayed all his joints. As well as the fact that he shows none, to little, pain at all.

    I think my vet may be feeling just as confused as I am. I don't know where to go from here, but I know I don't want to stop looking. Especially since things are getting much worse very fast lately. These past few weeks he keeps getting much worse each day.
    Last edited by LoveLost; 07-15-2007 at 04:05 AM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Renoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,507

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    While reading your post I was thinking it sounded just like Tessa. She had DM. Have your vet do a thorough exam to include the spine. Medications can sometimes help with the symptoms.

  7. #5
    Senior Member TheChinClique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    564

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    I think your vet could be right about the diagnosis of DM, but he should also look into Wobbler Syndrome. I doubt it's Wobbler, because he probably would have been a lot worse a lot more quickly, but you never know. Whatever it is, I hope your vet figures it out soon and your pup will be feeling better soon as well

  8. #6
    Senior Member Ginny01OT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,886

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    I am sorry that you and your dog are going thru this. Some questions you can ask your vet: Is this a neurological condition, are there certain neurological conditions that dogs get that could lead to obviously decreased sensitivity in the legs (he doesn't feel pain) and muscle atrophy. Is there any specific testing that can be done (muscle biopsy, spinal tap?) -OR-
    Could this be a muscular problem---meaning perhaps there is a protein or something missing that is causing the mitochondria to not produce effectively or that is causing the muscle to atrophy--(in humans like muscular dystrophy). Again, would a muscle biopsy or spinal tap show anything?

    Also, I am assuming they tested the dog for Lyme disease.....If not, I would do that as well Good luck.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    74

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    Thank you for you're help! I'll ask my vet about DM during the appointment and test for it! Thanks!

  10. #8
    Senior Member cshellenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    D.C. Metro
    Posts
    10,538

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    Honestly, I think I'd get my dog to an orthpedic specialist. There are several things this could be and a specialist may be needed to diagnose that problem.
    Carla
    "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control" Proverbs 29:11

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    this may sound ridiculous, but have you ever checked his foot, i mean... in between the pads? my labrador retriever had foot problems and it was an infection between his toes! my vet never could tell me what was wrong, and it wasnt visible at a glance but i finally looked hard enough and boom! there it was, i think he may have stepped in cat pee or something on his walk, and possibly had alittle cut before hand and it got infected. anyway... he could not stand on his right rear leg and it kept sliding out from under him when he tried to stand on the tile floor. i got a 14$ bottle of betadine solution and soaked his foot every day for two weeks. i hope its something as simple as garth's foot problem. best of luck to you

  12. #10
    Senior Member lovemygreys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,437

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    I'd have the vet check for this: http://home.comcast.net/~greyhndz/lumbosacral.htm

    We have a dog that has managed quite well with the depo-medrol shots.
    Heather and the hounds ~ www.worldofgrey.com
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3526368682_a6c66d5b5f_o.jpg
    Make a fast friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    74

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by macy louise View Post
    this may sound ridiculous, but have you ever checked his foot, i mean... in between the pads? my labrador retriever had foot problems and it was an infection between his toes! my vet never could tell me what was wrong, and it wasnt visible at a glance but i finally looked hard enough and boom! there it was, i think he may have stepped in cat pee or something on his walk, and possibly had alittle cut before hand and it got infected. anyway... he could not stand on his right rear leg and it kept sliding out from under him when he tried to stand on the tile floor. i got a 14$ bottle of betadine solution and soaked his foot every day for two weeks. i hope its something as simple as garth's foot problem. best of luck to you
    Believe me, it's not his foot

    Quote Originally Posted by cshellenberger View Post
    Honestly, I think I'd get my dog to an orthpedic specialist. There are several things this could be and a specialist may be needed to diagnose that problem.
    My vet strongly uggested I go to one of the University Vet Hospitals they have, which is a long ways out for me. I'm going to try and call one of the hospitals now and see if I can do something with them. My vet is going to send a referal when I figure out what I'm gonna do.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Inga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    12,542

    Re: What's wrong with him!? Please help.

    I am sorry I can do nothing more then say a prayer for your dog. That I will surely do. Good Luck.


    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Gandhi

  15. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.