Yellow poop -- normal?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Yellow poop -- normal?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    109

    Yellow poop -- normal?

    My 4 yr old GR almost always poops yellow. It's not a bright bright yellow, but it's like a mustardy dark yellow, almost looks like it blends in with the "brown".

    Is this something I should be worried about? What could this yellow dog poop mean?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Carman, MB, Canada
    Posts
    246

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    You didn't happen to steal him from a giant up in the sky with a beanstalk as your getaway vehicle, did you?

    No? Well, it doesn't sound normal to me, but I wouldn't trust my opinion on this one. What do you feed him?

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    109

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fraggle View Post
    You didn't happen to steal him from a giant up in the sky with a beanstalk as your getaway vehicle, did you?

    No? Well, it doesn't sound normal to me, but I wouldn't trust my opinion on this one. What do you feed him?
    Haha, I feed him Pedigree adult complete nutrition. Would food be the only variable in the discoloration?

  5. #4
    Senior Member Poly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,218

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklite View Post
    My 4 yr old GR almost always poops yellow. It's not a bright bright yellow, but it's like a mustardy dark yellow, almost looks like it blends in with the "brown".

    Is this something I should be worried about? What could this yellow dog poop mean?
    We are much more concerned with sudden changes in the color (or the consistency) of the stool, than we are with the color itself. If the color of the stool has been relatively the same, if it is not suddenly becoming noticably looser, and if there is no blood or foreign material in it, there really isn't any cause for concern.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    109

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    We are much more concerned with sudden changes in the color (or the consistency) of the stool, than we are with the color itself. If the color of the stool has been relatively the same, if it is not suddenly becoming noticably looser, and if there is no blood or foreign material in it, there really isn't any cause for concern.
    I adopted him a week ago so I'm not too sure on what the color of his stool was before that but ever since he's been with me his stool was been yellow. It's relatively solid, so it's not diarrhea-y or anything.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Pawzk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,415

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    However, you might consider changing to a better quality food for more reasons than just poop color.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    no. ga. mountains on Lost Kibble Trail
    Posts
    583

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklite View Post
    My 4 yr old GR almost always poops yellow. It's not a bright bright yellow, but it's like a mustardy dark yellow, almost looks like it blends in with the "brown".

    Is this something I should be worried about? What could this yellow dog poop mean?
    Blacklite ,

    Yellow poop can be a sign of Giardia/Cocci. It does not have to be loose , however in most cases it is.

    I would for sure pick up some good quality kibble with a named meat source as first ingredient. If you have a feed store or a TSC close by, it will be easy to find good kibble at fair prices. If you have no Vet history on your new dog it may be time for a check up.

    Best , oldhounddog
    Last edited by oldhounddog; 12-04-2011 at 01:56 PM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member hanksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC USA
    Posts
    7,112

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    If you change the food, remember to do it slowly over a week, mixing some with the old food, so the dog doesn't get an upset stomach. Also, if color is the only issue, you can call and ask the Vet. However, I expect that things will change a bit after he has been with you for a couple of weeks, and gotten sued to your routine.

    On the other ... hand, my dog has poop with an orange glow... I feed him two large raw carrots everyday :-)

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gillett/San Antonio TX
    Posts
    5,074

    Re: Yellow poop -- normal?

    Yes pedigree is well ill just say I wouldn't feed it ... My dogs won't even eat it anyway. I recomend this site : www.dogfoodadvisor.com I have it bookmarked, it really is a great site.

  11. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.