My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Unhappy My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    This is day #2 after Operation for Spay and Neuter. My dog is not eating well. Only few bites here and there. Not drinking all that much water either. Is this normal ?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Charis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    1) Which one was it a spay or a neuter?

    2) I'd call the vet that did the surgery first thing in the morning and ask. There is usually not a charge for asking and it is dependent on so many factors (the individual dog, medications, etc).

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by Charis View Post
    1) Which one was it a spay or a neuter?

    2) I'd call the vet that did the surgery first thing in the morning and ask. There is usually not a charge for asking and it is dependent on so many factors (the individual dog, medications, etc).
    It was Spay. and yes i plan on calling my vet this am.

  5. #4
    Senior Member spotted nikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    6,160

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Is she taking pain meds? If yes, some can upset their stomach so they don't feel like eating. If no, she may feel like crap, so she doesn't feel like eating. So either way, not eating much for 2 or 3 days after a spay is normal.
    Spay or neuter your pet! Founding President Of Thread Killers Anonymous.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by spotted nikes View Post
    Is she taking pain meds? If yes, some can upset their stomach so they don't feel like eating. If no, she may feel like crap, so she doesn't feel like eating. So either way, not eating much for 2 or 3 days after a spay is normal.
    She is on Rimadyl for 3-4 days. but Vet is thinking about Adding on Ultram on top of that which is different kind of pain killer. It looks like she is in still in pain with Rimadyl alone. Anyway, i have given her regular food and she is not into it. So should i give her some Softer food like I/D Can food ?--which is mostly egg, rice and some other stuff.

    Also Vet gave me NO antibiotics. Is this normal after spay ??

  7. #6
    Senior Member spotted nikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    6,160

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    No antibiotics are normal.

    Can you boil some boneless, skinless chicken and white rice, and offer her small meals of that several times a day? It's easy on the stomach and appetizing.
    Spay or neuter your pet! Founding President Of Thread Killers Anonymous.

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by spotted nikes View Post
    No antibiotics are normal.

    Can you boil some boneless, skinless chicken and white rice, and offer her small meals of that several times a day? It's easy on the stomach and appetizing.
    yes i did. and she only ate 1/4 of that. and left the rest. Usually she gulps it up in 30 seconds. Anyway, i see little more strength in the dog today but not that much improved. We will have to see tomorrow am. If i see no improvement at all, i have to take the dog back to the Vet.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Mheath0429's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    246

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    My girl was spayed about a month ago. She didnt eat anything, unless i hand fed her for about 3 days. I just gave her some chicken and a multivitamin that my vet suggested to supplement her nutrients. She needs to get something into her because she is in the healing process. If I were you, i would get some antibiotic just in case, especially if she has an access to the wound or if you have other animals...as they liek to lick each other ha. Plus, it's better to be safe than sorry. All of my animals received antibiotics with spay/neuter.

  10. #9
    Senior Member hanksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    It's important to feed a handful of food before giving pain meds, b/c the meds can tear p her stomach. Also, don't let her lick or chew the incision. Small dogs may have more pain than larger dogs, but the pain should start to get better after about 3 days. The Vet should have given you a handout about these things, so be sure to call if you have concerns or problems.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    It's important to feed a handful of food before giving pain meds, b/c the meds can tear p her stomach. Also, don't let her lick or chew the incision. Small dogs may have more pain than larger dogs, but the pain should start to get better after about 3 days. The Vet should have given you a handout about these things, so be sure to call if you have concerns or problems.
    Hank, i am still having trouble getting my dog to eat her normal amount. Surgery was last Tuesday so this is day 4. We went on a long car ride yesterday but still. She is only eating about 10% of her normal food. I tried I/D canned food without much success.

  12. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    This is post operation day 5. and my dog is still only eating about 1/2 of her food. Activity level is increasing but Very slowly. She also acts like sometimes she still has belly pains like she would raise her middle back side up all of sudden like a Cat would do if they get angry or scared, you know. What is that all about ? Is that reaction to pain or Spasm ?

  13. #12
    Senior Member hanksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Sounds like pain, which is expected for the first week. But the Vet should be able to answer these questions over the phone. Make sure the incision area is still clean, and is not red or puckered. I recommend calling the Vet, just to let him provide a little more assurance...

    After she eats, you can give her pain meds... try to remain on schedule and don't over-do. Adequate meds will take the edge off the pain, but may not eliminate all pain. After 5 -7 days, I expect the incision to be healing and to start itching.

    BTW, if you are using an Elizabethan Collar, that can reduce appetite, also.

  14. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    Sounds like pain, which is expected for the first week. But the Vet should be able to answer these questions over the phone. Make sure the incision area is still clean, and is not red or puckered. I recommend calling the Vet, just to let him provide a little more assurance...

    After she eats, you can give her pain meds... try to remain on schedule and don't over-do. Adequate meds will take the edge off the pain, but may not eliminate all pain. After 5 -7 days, I expect the incision to be healing and to start itching.

    BTW, if you are using an Elizabethan Collar, that can reduce appetite, also.
    I talked with my Vet and she gave me additional pain med that is like mild Opioid, Ultram. and also gave me 10 days of antibiotics, just as precautions. There is no sign of infection but she said just do it as precation. I might have made a mistake of taking her out on a car ride. All that movement in the car may have made the pain worse. ?? Not sure. The dog seem so depressed after surgery that i just wanted to purk her up a bit. and it is odd in that the Pain seem like it is worse at Night time. She will eat some food in the morning but will not touch it at night time. that is odd ??

  15. #14
    Senior Member hanksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    It is not odd. However, I don't know if she is in pain (can't really diagnose over the Web :-) ) But, yes, the pain should be better in the morning after a good sleep, and she should be a little more energetic in the morning. Then, as the afternoon progresses, she can get more fatigued and have more pain than in the morning.

    It happens with people too. Think about when you have a bad cold.... You may be OK after you get moving, but started to get tired in the afternoon....

  16. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    It is not odd. However, I don't know if she is in pain (can't really diagnose over the Web :-) ) But, yes, the pain should be better in the morning after a good sleep, and she should be a little more energetic in the morning. Then, as the afternoon progresses, she can get more fatigued and have more pain than in the morning.

    It happens with people too. Think about when you have a bad cold.... You may be OK after you get moving, but started to get tired in the afternoon....
    What i wonder is Why she is in such pain still ?? Surgery was last Tuesday pm. this is day 6 after surgery. She seem to be little better after the pain med, so i think it is the pain. she will like run around real hard and will jusst stop all of sudden and raise her back like high and stop. I think this means pain in the abdomin still. Shouldn't the pain be all better by now ??

    Also not sure the Change in hormone is depressing her or not ? but i thought the hormonal changes takes much longer afteer the Spay ?

  17. #16
    Senior Member spotted nikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    6,160

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Just a random thought, but call your State Vet board and ask if your vet has any complaints/disciplinary actions taken against him in the past/currently. We had a vet that I thought was nice, years ago, and he misdiagnosed my dog, causing her death, and it wasn't until I did some checking that I found out that he had numerous complaints on file. In one case, he did a cryptorchid neuter, and used barbed staples internally to repair an intestine that he removed about 6 inches of, after having the dog fall off the surgery table, because he wasn't properly anesthetized. The dog was in excruciating pain, because the barbs would hook the internal organs/muscle when he moved. The dog developed perotinitus and died.
    I'm not saying your vet did that, but I think I'd want some reassurance that the vet I used most likely performed the surgery correctly, and you aren't dealing with adhesions, or any other problem caused by incompetence.
    Spay or neuter your pet! Founding President Of Thread Killers Anonymous.

  18. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by spotted nikes View Post
    Just a random thought, but call your State Vet board and ask if your vet has any complaints/disciplinary actions taken against him in the past/currently. We had a vet that I thought was nice, years ago, and he misdiagnosed my dog, causing her death, and it wasn't until I did some checking that I found out that he had numerous complaints on file. In one case, he did a cryptorchid neuter, and used barbed staples internally to repair an intestine that he removed about 6 inches of, after having the dog fall off the surgery table, because he wasn't properly anesthetized. The dog was in excruciating pain, because the barbs would hook the internal organs/muscle when he moved. The dog developed perotinitus and died.
    I'm not saying your vet did that, but I think I'd want some reassurance that the vet I used most likely performed the surgery correctly, and you aren't dealing with adhesions, or any other problem caused by incompetence.
    Thank you i will check out the board. but is it normal for the dog to be in pain after 6 days after surgery ?

  19. #18
    Senior Member hanksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Spay is major surgery through the abdominal muscle. I assume that the Vet said that she should be kept quiet for 1 - 2 weeks, so I don't think you should let her run at all or jump at all.... She could be stretching the site of surgery, and that's why it hurts when she runs, and why she convulses.

    She can walk, but you have to stop her from running, until the Vet says it is OK. Usually after the follow-up, two weeks after surgery.

  20. #19
    Senior Member spotted nikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    6,160

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by Kekevandewe View Post
    Thank you i will check out the board. but is it normal for the dog to be in pain after 6 days after surgery ?
    Mine haven't been, and I've had 3 female dogs spayed. Usually about 3 days of pain, lethargy, lack of appetite, and occasional whining. By 5 days or so, they are pretty much acting normal, unless they try to jump on a bed or something, which should be avoided. You want to keep them fairly quiet for a couple of weeks...no running/jumping/wrestling with other dogs.

    Sometimes, painkillers (especially NSAIDs) can cause ulcers that are painful, or other painkillers/antibiotics can make them feel nauseous, so they might not want to eat. But usually they seem fine in a week.
    Spay or neuter your pet! Founding President Of Thread Killers Anonymous.

  21. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: My Dog just had Spay and Neuter -- post op day #2-- not eating very well

    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    Spay is major surgery through the abdominal muscle. I assume that the Vet said that she should be kept quiet for 1 - 2 weeks, so I don't think you should let her run at all or jump at all.... She could be stretching the site of surgery, and that's why it hurts when she runs, and why she convulses.

    She can walk, but you have to stop her from running, until the Vet says it is OK. Usually after the follow-up, two weeks after surgery.
    Thank you. Yea i think after she runs a circle then she will stop like it hurts. also going up and down the stairs seem to hurt too. I may have to carry her up and down for a week or so

  22. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.