Clippers For Fine Hair
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Clippers For Fine Hair

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Clippers For Fine Hair

    My Schnauzer seems to have very fine hair. If have two clippers (oster and wahl), which I purchased from Wal-Mart. Neither of them will clip her hair. They just push it down.

    What are your suggestions for clippers that work on fine dog hair? I did a search, but did not come up with anything specific for fine hair.

    Thanks,
    Keith

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member briteday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,074

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    I would pick up a dog grooming book at the library or bookstore. It should have examples of the techniques to use and specific clipping instructions for different breeds.

    Are running the clippers in the direction that the coat grows, or against the grain?
    Being smart is learning from your own mistakes. Being wise is learning from others' mistakes.
    Cally- 14 yo papillon, Moose the puppy, McKenna 8 yo pomeranian grand-dog, and chickens

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Quote Originally Posted by briteday View Post
    I would pick up a dog grooming book at the library or bookstore. It should have examples of the techniques to use and specific clipping instructions for different breeds.

    Are running the clippers in the direction that the coat grows, or against the grain?
    I am running with the grain.

    How will a book help me? Are you saying my technique used is incorrect?

  5. #4
    Senior Member Dieselsmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,510

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Without seeing what you're doing It's hard to say why they aren't cutting the hair. What size blade are you using? Are you sure her hair is long enough for a blade that size to actually cut? Is the blade properly snapped on?
    **sig too big**

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselsmama View Post
    Without seeing what you're doing It's hard to say why they aren't cutting the hair. What size blade are you using? Are you sure her hair is long enough for a blade that size to actually cut? Is the blade properly snapped on?
    Size: The only one that came with the clipper.
    Hair Long enough: She looks like a sheepdog. It has to be long enough.
    Properly installed: Yes. I have made sure it is.

    The blade works fine on my Yorkie.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Dieselsmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,510

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Hmmn, maybe the blade has hair stuck or is dull and isn't cutting at all? did you try it on your yorkie after trying it on the other dog? Usually a #10 blade is standard issue to come with a new clipper. That should be plenty short, I rarely use it other than to trim out pads, groin area and around the pooper LOL. I'd check to see if it's cutting at all and other than that I'm at a loss. Shouldn't matter whether the hair is fine or not, unless you're trying to clip through a matt.
    **sig too big**

  8. #7
    Senior Member poodleholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gulf Coast of FL
    Posts
    3,700

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Quote Originally Posted by kafolske View Post
    My Schnauzer seems to have very fine hair. If have two clippers (oster and wahl), which I purchased from Wal-Mart. Neither of them will clip her hair. They just push it down.

    What are your suggestions for clippers that work on fine dog hair? I did a search, but did not come up with anything specific for fine hair.

    Thanks,
    Keith

    In my experience, pet clippers you can buy from stores like WalMart don't work well. I gave up and purchased professional clippers, which weren't that much more money. I recently bought an Andis UltraEdge 2 speed clipper online at KvVet Supply for $124. I like the Wahl KM 2 clippers as well, and they're often on sale for just a little above $100.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Love's_Sophie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Sorry to break your heart but anything you get from Wally, regarding clippers, and scissors, etc, for your dog, are not going to be 'high quality'.

    Andis has some really good clippers; the super two speed, and the ultra edge mentioned above, are just two of their quality clippers. I have used Andis for 7 years; I still have my first one, actually, and aside from needing a new housing\body it still runs well. A good clipper will go through dirty coats, thin fine coats, thick coats, etc...Most Walmart type brands of clippers just don't have the power to go through much of any type of coat, clean or not.

    The advantage to having a clipper like this, is that the blades are detachable; they also last longer than the fixed blades on alot of 'Walmart' or other cheaper clippers. You get a better cut, and you can swap blades when you want the dog's cut longer or shorter.
    Last edited by Love's_Sophie; 11-24-2007 at 05:04 PM.

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Quote Originally Posted by Love's_Sophie View Post
    Sorry to break your heart but anything you get from Wally, regarding clippers, and scissors, etc, for your dog, are not going to be 'high quality'.
    That is what I thought. I bought a pair of Andis and they just arrived. They sure feel like they are better quality.

    Since you have quite a bit of experience with Andis, I have a question about the blades.

    For the longer hair on my Schnauzer, I was thinking of getting the 1/2" blade. I notice there is a regular and a "shiptooth" blade. Which one should I get? What is the purpose of the "shiptooth" blade?

    Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by kafolske; 11-30-2007 at 10:28 AM.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    A great source for quality clippers is your local livestock feedstore. They'll have a large selection of clippers which are designed for more robust use. Also, since most feedstores are small companies, you'll be able to get good advice from the staff, and you'll be able to actually open the packages and try out the product. It's really important that the clipper feels good in your hand, since you'll be using it often and for prolonged periods.
    Please read the forum rules regarding advertising.
    http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/297-dog-forum-rules-please.html

  12. #11
    Member rubyjewel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Quote Originally Posted by poodleholic View Post
    In my experience, pet clippers you can buy from stores like WalMart don't work well. I gave up and purchased professional clippers, which weren't that much more money. I recently bought an Andis UltraEdge 2 speed clipper online at KvVet Supply for $124. I like the Wahl KM 2 clippers as well, and they're often on sale for just a little above $100.

    WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO Andis UltraEdge 2 speed clippers... lol sorry got excited, I have one too! It is defanately worth the investment!

  13. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    I just finished clipping my two dogs with the new Andis. It works great. Thanks for all the help!

  14. #13
    Senior Member Love's_Sophie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    Quote Originally Posted by kafolske View Post
    That is what I thought. I bought a pair of Andis and they just arrived. They sure feel like they are better quality.

    Since you have quite a bit of experience with Andis, I have a question about the blades.

    For the longer hair on my Schnauzer, I was thinking of getting the 1/2" blade. I notice there is a regular and a "shiptooth" blade. Which one should I get? What is the purpose of the "shiptooth" blade?

    Thanks,
    Keith
    Skip tooths are normally used for prepwork before bathing. They don't give as even of a cut as the finishing blades, which make them ideal for prep work, because you aren't looking for 'perfect cuts' before the bath anyway. "F" or finishing blades are used either before or after bathing;They give the most even clip. I mainly use F blades for grooming dogs, although I do have a couple of skiptooth blades left over from when I started the grooming business.

    Congrats on getting your doggies groomed!!
    Last edited by Love's_Sophie; 12-02-2007 at 03:17 PM.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Inga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    12,007

    Re: Clippers For Fine Hair

    I use an Oster A5 and I have trimmed everything from Llamas to horses to dogs of many different breeds. It has been a great clipper.


    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Gandhi

  16. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.