Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?
DogForums.com is the premier dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,713

    Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

    Nia just ate a couple of those berry like fruits from the rose flowers just now and about 5 min later thew up one on my carpet with a bunch of foam.

    Is this stuff poisonous to dogs?

    My mom said she probably ate 5 or 6 but only one came up..so I'm a little concerned.
    Last edited by Michiyo-Fir; 11-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

    no, rose hips are not toxic. They make jellies out of them, and they are high in vitamin c.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

    Ok thanks.

    Not sure why they're making her throw up. She's never been one to throw up, usually just diarrhea.

    She threw up about 5 times already. I guess most of it already came back up so she should be ok.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

    I don't remember them on any of the lists of toxics. Anything strange can cause a dog to throw up. You might call the vet, but I wouldn't worry.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Poly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,219

    Re: Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

    The pulp is fine - it's basically a fruit that's related to apples, pears, etc.

    The seeds are something else again. As with most seeds in this plant family, they do contain a chemical that converts to cyanide. While your dog would have to eat a huge number of hips to have a serious reaction - just a few will tend to cause the reaction you already observed: they vomit.

    BTW - don't ever assume that because we humans can eat something that it is OK for dogs to eat as well. We humans can eat with impunity chocolate, onions, grapes and macadamia nuts - just to name a few. All of these are more or less toxic to dogs.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: Is rose hip poisonous to dogs?

    It's strange she would eat them. They've been there for months and she sniffs them almost everyday when we're outside. Just that day she decided to puck them off the roses and eat them!

    And she's fine now. After she threw all of it up she became really hungry and ate another meal. She's been perfectly fine after that.

  8. Remove Advertisements
    DogForums.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.